AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching country racing on Fox, but I flicked over at one stage to get a score in the tingles v wobblers game and unfortunately my timing was very poor, because `Tex ' Perkins was in the process of pulling her jumper up to wipe her face.
After the game I had a brief look at the tingle's afwl thread and she was copping plenty on there about her weight, with delist getting a regular mention.

With her size she had a definite advantage in the first year with so few of the players having basic skills. But things have improved in field play in that last year it was not unusual for only one or two players to be in double figures of disposals. In the recent game 16 players were in double figures. I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah Perkins wasn't far into double figures for the whole season.

Crowd of 2,300 there today. Is the women's competition losing it's novelty? If they ever start charging admission you have to wonder how many people will show up at a game they can watch on FTA or Foxtel.

Great atmosphere at the Bulldogs-Demons match.

So this comp has definitely lost the novelty factor this year.
It’s going to be bleak when season 3 is underway.

It started well, albeit with some tweaks needed, as well as just a general skills improvement that comes with more time played, largely on the back of novelty and strong marketing in year 1.

So in year 2, the AFL seemingly went "oh well job done, let's try doing the same thing but without the novelty and marketing, I'm sure it'll thrive for the next 100 years now". Such an utterly bizarre follow up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid Cowvertiser, how can a 4 goal loss against a lowly team be ‘brave’?!?

Apparently one of their best players (no, not Erin) got injured and couldn't play in the second half - in which they happened to go goalless - and their other best player (Erin) played the whole season on only one leg.

So this comp has definitely lost the novelty factor this year.
It’s going to be bleak when season 3 is underway.
I don't think so, yes there is a novelty factor early on, but SANFL level crowds would have been beyond the dreams of those who came up with the comp. If they can maintain a SANFL level of interest then it HAS to be considered a success.

The new teams in Season 3 and inevitably in later seasons will keep the interest up until skills rise.

I don't think so, yes there is a novelty factor early on, but SANFL level crowds would have been beyond the dreams of those who came up with the comp. If they can maintain a SANFL level of interest then it HAS to be considered a success.

The new teams in Season 3 and inevitably in later seasons will keep the interest up until skills rise.

The standard of the footy, while still not great, improved this year.

I'll still take my girls along next year.

I posted this in the AFLW section.

"If you don't think average attendances of 5000 are fantastic then you'll never be pleased by the AFLW, 5k averages way surpass what most people expected (which would have been 1k or lower when looking at where they originally had games scheduled).
I don't think the SANFL even get that many!

SANFL 2017 - Port Adelaide was ranked fourth for home match attendances at 2546, behind Norwood (3262), Sturt (2916) and Glenelg (2571).

The Magpies jumped to third – narrowly – when comparing club daytime attendance averages (Norwood, Glenelg and West all play night football, which typically draws better crowds).

When day games are compared, Port’s attendances were 2546 compared to Glenelg’s 2539."

If they can maintain a SANFL level of interest then it HAS to be considered a success.

I agree, especially with the "if" part.

I'm not anti, btw, we've got friends who play amateur level here in Adelaide and are rabid Bulldogs AFLW fans.

I've just noticed a big drop off in interest levels after only one year so I'm not so confident that they'll maintain the interest going into the third season without something changing. New teams might do it, a marquee player signing on would be better though.

Apparently one of their best players (no, not Erin) got injured and couldn't play in the second half - in which they happened to go goalless - and their other best player (Erin) played the whole season on only one leg.

Really? The whole season?

img-2072739-f.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back