AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If the SMA sell $400k of food and beverage then as it will be during the footy season ie from and including 15th March, and its a footy event not a concert, they would give the SANFL a commission on these sales, of somewhere between 20%-25% has been my calculation from the scant figures that have been made available to the public. For the good of the game, would the SANFL forgo that $80k-$100k sales commission?????????

Surely the AFL make up the shortfall.

It's not that long ago, (up to the mid to late 70's? ) that boys and girls were put in seperate classes after 5th grade in South Australia.
There were no mixed classes in my 4 years of high school either ( which as far as I'm aware was par for the course ), so the chances of competing against girls at any sport, ( even tennis ) was virtually zero.

Conversely, my son who commenced year 1 in 1997, was in mixed classes for his entire 12 years in the school system.

Maybe the other states did it differently?

I stated PS in Grade 5, after coming out from England, in 1968, and had mixed classes all the way through my schooling

I stated PS in Grade 5 .....
You must have been really smart. I had to start in grade 1 :(

Public primary schools and high schools were co-ed during my schooling in the 1960's and 70's with the exception of the "technical" high schools, for example Kidman Park Girls Tech and Seaton Park Boys Tech in my area.

I stated PS in Grade 5, after coming out from England, in 1968, and had mixed classes all the way through my schooling

Interesting - I attended 3 primary schools, (1 in the country, and 2 in the suburbs ) and 1 high school ( from 1961 - 1964 ).

In high school eg, even talking to girls during breaks was frowned upon, maybe we were all seen as potential root rats. ;)

One of the primary schools was Edwardstown ( 1 term ), and the final 2 schools were in the Brighton area.

I believe it was a decision by the education department in my era ( and earlier ) to separate males and females from a certain age, and my younger sister, who didn't finish school until 1970 went through the same system as me.

Interesting - I attended 3 primary schools, (1 in the country, and 2 in the suburbs ) and 1 high school ( from 1961 - 1964 ).

In high school eg, even talking to girls during breaks was frowned upon, maybe we were all seen as potential root rats. ;)

One of the primary schools was Edwardstown ( 1 term ), and the final 2 schools were in the Brighton area.

I believe it was a decision by the education department in my era ( and earlier ) to separate males and females from a certain age, and my younger sister, who didn't finish school until 1970 went through the same system as me.

Quoted for the use of root rat.

Didnt happen to be on the Fairstar did it?

Sorry, off topic
Interesting. My grandparents and my mother came out in 1965 I think as well. And pretty sure it was on the Fairstar. They were 'housed' in the railway station whilst they were looking for a house.

Interesting. My grandparents and my mother came out in 1965 I think as well. And pretty sure it was on the Fairstar. They were 'housed' in the railway station whilst they were looking for a house.

Yes there was a hostel in that vicinity in those days.

When we came out here it was air travel and we got housed at the Pennington Hostel. That's the reason I became a Port supporter before even seeing a game.

Didnt happen to be on the Fairstar did it?
Sorry, off topic
Yes there was a hostel in that vicinity in those days.
When we came out here it was air travel and we got housed at the Pennington Hostel. That's the reason I became a Port supporter before even seeing a game.

No. My father worked for the University was sent to Australia on the Australis which was a Greek ship. Accommodation was provided by the Uni at Glenelg and then Hectorville(which was a new suburb at the time) before we settled on Netherby.

In 1971 we returned to England on study leave for Dad on the Angelina Lauro and then returned in 14 months time on the Fairstar.

wasn't the fairstar the funship?

When it became a Pacific cruise ship, yes. They used to sell t-shirts saying "Sitmar, Sitmar, Sitmar Face" :p The Animal Bar was appropriately named. Even the Bingo sessions were fun: Sweet 16 and never been kissed - "BULLSHIT!!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Locally (small country town), the problem with female is footy is:

They can play with the boys til Auskick managed competition is over and proper club football begins, so about under 12s. Then they may need to sit out for a few years as there just isn't numbers to sustain a 14s and 16s female competition. After that, they can transition in to seniour womens. Those 4 or so years in the middle are the main areas for concern when it comes to retaining players.

No. My father worked for the University was sent to Australia on the Australis which was a Greek ship. Accommodation was provided by the Uni at Glenelg and then Hectorville(which was a new suburb at the time) before we settled on Netherby.

In 1971 we returned to England on study leave for Dad on the Angelina Lauro and then returned in 14 months time on the Fairstar.

Twilight zone moment: we came here on the Fairstar in teh mid 60s and went over to the UK on the Australis in the mid 70s...

Back on women's footy - a possible answer to Chiwigi's question about the historically low female player participation rate in footy could be to do with the large number of players that are needed to take the field in Aussie Rules. It's much easier to get teams of 11 together compared to 18, particularly when it's regarded as a boys' sport. So once it's no longer considered appropriate for the girls to join in with the boys very hard to find enough participants to make competition viable. I'm just speculating.

Back on women's footy - a possible answer to Chiwigi's question about the historically low female player participation rate in footy could be to do with the large number of players that are needed to take the field in Aussie Rules. It's much easier to get teams of 11 together compared to 18, particularly when it's regarded as a boys' sport. So once it's no longer considered appropriate for the girls to join in with the boys very hard to find enough participants to make competition viable. I'm just speculating.
Thanks Noddy, but that doesn't explain how rugby and soccer have managed (soccer slightly) with far lower females to choose from.

Eg. In a soccer crowd in the 90's you'd be lucky to see 100 women, at the same time in footy you could see 20,000.
Even now a soccer crowd of 30k would have at most a few hundred to a thousand, whereas footy would have 10 to 20k.

So many more women, so little participation in the game itself.
The reasoning has to be deeper than the numbers, and soccer/rugby are just as sexist (if not more so) than footy. Women weren't even allowed in many rugby clubs for a drink until the 90's.

I'm asking as an outsider as it's difficult to comprehend.

Thanks Noddy, but that doesn't explain how rugby and soccer have managed (soccer slightly) with far lower females to choose from.

Eg. In a soccer crowd in the 90's you'd be lucky to see 100 women, at the same time in footy you could see 20,000.
Even now a soccer crowd of 30k would have at most a few hundred to a thousand, whereas footy would have 10 to 20k.

So many more women, so little participation in the game itself.
The reasoning has to be deeper than the numbers, and soccer/rugby are just as sexist (if not more so) than footy. Women weren't even allowed in many rugby clubs for a drink until the 90's.

I'm asking as an outsider as it's difficult to comprehend.
Ok - I did something unusual for a bloke and asked a woman - my mum. She's always been into the footy. She said she's never really thought about it but she has always had a perception that soccer crowds were violent which would have put her off. She doesn't know anything about rugby (not even aware there is 2 codes). Her view is that footy crowds have always been female friendly - doesn't think other sports so much.
She then went of on a tangent about how men would never go watch girls/women's sport. It was only ever her mum not her dad who would watch her play netball (called basketball in her day).

Edit - up until probably the 90s there was always clear distinction between men's sport - footy, women played netball
That's ignoring tennis, basketball etc

Last edited:
except its crows and brisbane clear on top and melbourne just knocked off carlton to go 3rd
Ah yeah I got today's early game result around the wrong way. Yep Melbourne have to keep winning.

Last edited:
Off topic but actually on topic - anyone else concerned that some of the smaller women players don't seem to know how to protect themselves in a tackle?
Just watching the Bulldogs v Cwood and some pretty dangerous tackling.

Off topic but actually on topic - anyone else concerned that some of the smaller women players don't seem to know how to protect themselves in a tackle?
Just watching the Bulldogs v Cwood and some pretty dangerous tackling.
Lot of players aren't born and raised footballers but brought in from other sports because they're athletes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back