AFLW 2018 - Round 1 - Melbourne v GWS - Sat, Feb 3rd, 5.05pm, Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee exciting stuff, 7 goals to 6, can’t wait for the local under 13s soccer game to get going to get a bit of excitement!
Better than what the Lions blokes have served up for five years :thumbsu:

Fantastic game. Outstanding leadership from Daisy Pearce when it mattered. Good signs for GWS.
Giants will do damage based on that, they were excellent.

These kinds of comments do nothing for the AFLW.

They are absurd.
Because the comment about U13 soccer was any better?

Get around the women.

Game from an entertainment perspective was pretty decent after half time. If more AFLW games were like that second half, then there may be more people watching it. Set up a pretty good lead for this season.

Women's footy could dramatically improve if they could get rid of the fumbles, which shouldn't be that hard of a skill to fix up quickly.
Size of the ball kind of makes it hard in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the comment about U13 soccer was any better?

Get around the women.

I'm talking about AFL, not soccer.

Nobody will get around the women if people go around suggesting they play better than the men. It'll make it a mockery and a laughing stock if the AFLW fan base comes up with such tripe.

Gee exciting stuff, 7 goals to 6, can’t wait for the local under 13s soccer game to get going to get a bit of excitement!
It always astonishes me how many people don't understand the scores in the context of the relative game times of the women's and men's game. Women's quarters go for 15 minutes with time-on only in the last two minutes of each quarter. At absolute most quarters go for 16 minutes, so at most a game will run for 64 minutes. Most would tally around 62 though.

In comparison men's quarters are 20 with full time-on. Most men's quarters are somewhere between 26 and 32 minutes. I'm not sure what the average is, but I would guess around 28. That's almost double the length of a women's game.

If you extrapolate the scores from this game to match the time in the men's then the score would be approximately Melbourne 90 to GWS 78. In other words, scores that aren't uncommon at all in the men's game.

That's not a perfect analysis, but you get the point.

Melbourne media pumping up the Melbourne teams as premiership favourites, when in fact it's quite clear none of them are.

Agree but the logic for Melbourne is that they only missed out on the Grand Final on percentage last year.

Think it's pretty hard to gauge the teams when we only have one season to go off and the draft is going to improve sides drastically every season.

Nobody will get around the women if people go around suggesting they play better than the men. It'll make it a mockery and a laughing stock if the AFLW fan base comes up with such tripe.
Except teams like Melbourne 2013 simply aren't entertaining whereas tonight definitely was.

He never said the women were playing better than men. Read the comment properly.

Don't know why they'd use full sized balls. The Gaelic women's league have used smaller balls for years now and it makes a massive difference to the level of play they can attain.

It's just reasonable to alter the rules to improve the spectacle of the sport. Tennis gives women shorter games and longer breaks.

Ground size is tough to alter but ball size should be obvious.

It always astonishes me how many people don't understand the scores in the context of the relative game times of the women's and men's game. Women's quarters go for 15 minutes with time-on only in the last two minutes of each quarter. At absolute most quarters go for 16 minutes, so at most a game will run for 64 minutes. Most would tally around 62 though.

In comparison men's quarters are 20 with full time-on. Most men's quarters are somewhere between 26 and 32 minutes. I'm not sure what the average is, but I would guess around 28. That's almost double the length of a women's game.

If you extrapolate the scores from this game to match the time in the men's then the score would be approximately Melbourne 90 to GWS 78. In other words, scores that aren't uncommon at all in the men's game.

That's not a perfect analysis, but you get the point.

The trouble suggesting longer games would address scoring issues is that fitness wise a lot of players struggle now with the duration of the game at 15 minutes a quarter.

Extending game length is just as likely to lead to greater skill errors and dropping in standard of play as it is to leading to more scoring.

Awesome win for Melbourne there. In a funny way the few dodgy free kicks paid against them late in the match ended up benefiting them, stung them into action a bit as they couldn't play negative protect-a-lead football. Very good signs for GWS too--especially in the forward line, but also better leadership across the board made a difference and I noticed their captain Farrugia today more than all of last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back