Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon you guys will be a lot happier with Jakobsson than Harris in the medium-long term. Stay tuned.
Loved Harris when she played for us in the exhibition games against the Doggies. If we could get that player back I'd be all for it.
I thought she was underwhelming as a Lion. Disappointing even, impacting on very few games. If Tayla was to bring that I'd rather Jakobsson alongside Big Al who I think is only going to get better

Still think Harris will end up at Carlton

As saddened as I am by losing Berry I think Jakobsson is a great addition.
Yup. Huge deal, Berry hurts but Jakobsson is awesome

Yup. Huge deal, Berry hurts but Jakobsson is awesome

Yeah, not happy about losing Deanna. Jakobsson had better be worth it. :(

Regarding Harris, there has been a bit of criticism of her around the traps. Not team focused, sulky, lost interest in footy, more interested in her boxing career, etc. No idea if any of it is true. But I have to agree with Go the Biff re her performances for us in the exhibition matches vs her performances for the Lions. She played one outstanding game for them where she pretty much won it single-handedly, but other than that was disappointing relative to expectations.

Hmmm. I think she played every game last season, we took her with pick #120, one before Peppa who didn't play a single game and is also off to GWS.

She sort of flew under the (at least my) radar a bit.....the feeling is that Deanna is a bigger loss but Madeleine actually finished ahead of her in our B&F. I guess people, me included, see more potential in Berry.

I remember the club putting a lot of excitement around Harriet Cordner because her family name runs in the football club. Gone after one season

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-05-26/list-changes-made-to-womens-squad

Melbourne’s 2018 AFLW List

Richelle Cranston
Meg Downie
Laura Duryea
Jasmine Grierson
Ashleigh Guest
Melissa Hickey
Kate Hore
Emma Humphries
Bianca Jakobsson
Ainslie Kemp
Sarah Lampard
Alyssa Mifsud
Lily Mithen
Aleisha Newman
Elise O’Dea
Brooke Patterson
Karen Paxman
Daisy Pearce
Lauren Pearce
Catherine Phillips
Shelley Scott
Katherine Smith

Traded
Deanna Berry
Pepa Randall
Maddie Boyd

Delisted
Jess Anderson
Mia-Rae Clifford
Harriet Cordner
Stephanie De Bortoli
Sarah Jolly

New
Bianca Jakobsson
Ashleigh Guest
Kate Hore

Spurs v MU. Lots of Melbourne and ex Melbourne players in this game. The delisted Cordner, Jolly and Anderson are all in this game. Others playing are Newman, Guest, Mifsud, Scott, Lampard, Phillips. Lampard, Jolly, Anderson, Guest all named amongst best. Would have said Cordner and Scott were up there as well. The only one really quiet was Mifsud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-06-08/garland-lange-added-to-coaching-panel

MELBOURNE has appointed defender Colin Garland as its women’s player development coach and Jane Lange as an assistant coach, after she was part of Carlton’s coaching staff in the inaugural AFL Women’s season.

Women’s football operations manager Debbie Lee said the club was delighted to have Garland and Lange join the club’s coaching panel.

“We are very excited to have Colin take up the role of player development coach. His extensive football experience will benefit all of us, given that he has played more than 140 AFL games,” she told melbournefc.com.au.

“He will be able to provide a further insight to our players and share his knowledge about what is required to become an elite footballer.

“He has already been active in our recruiting department, which will continue, and he will now also focus on the development of our players.”

On Lange, Lee said: “We are delighted to have Jane join the coaching panel. Her sound football knowledge combined with her passion for women’s football and development, will only complement our existing structures.”

“We believe Jane has the character and drive to add value to our playing group.

“She has been involved in women’s football as a player and coach for a number of years, and she has coached many of our current players, which we see as a real benefit. We look forward to working with her.”

Garland has played 141 matches for Melbourne from 2007-16, but has been sidelined with a knee injury this year and is contracted for the 2018 season.

Previously part of Melbourne’s leadership group, Garland finished second in the club’s best and fairest award in 2013. He was also a NAB AFL Rising Star nominee in 2008.

Lange, who will coach the forwards, is regarded as one of the most talented coaches in women’s football. She is also the first female coach to join Melbourne’s coaching panel since the club entered the AFLW.

“I played footy for 10 years at Darebin Falcons and I got into coaching in 2011, helping out with the women’s academy and being an assistant for the Victorian women’s state side,” Lange told melbournefc.com.au.

“I then had roles with the VFL academy, the VWFL academy and the Western Bulldogs for four years in the exhibition series.

“I’m head coach of Darebin at the moment – I’m in my second year – and last year I was in a playing-coach role. I’ve hung the boots up and now I’m just coaching and then I was at Carlton in a forward role this year.”

Lange, who is a full-time secondary school teacher at Northcote High School, said it was amazing to be involved in the inaugural AFLW season and she couldn’t wait to continue her journey with Melbourne.

“It was a pretty unbelievable experience – whether it was the first game or the first review session – it was all new and exciting,” she said.

“I absolutely loved my time at Carlton, but Deb [Lee] and the crew at Melbourne offered me some really good opportunities for development, which I felt like I couldn’t turn down.

“It’s been quite challenging juggling my teaching role, along with being a Mum of a 19-month year-old, so there are a few things on my plate, but it’s all been a great experience and I can’t wait to continue it at Melbourne.”

Casey Demons granted 2018 VFLW licence

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-08-17/casey-demons-granted-2018-vflw-licence

I wonder how this will effect the players? If Casey have a team in the VFL will the Melbourne AFLW players be expected to play with them? I can't see Daisy or Mel being all that keen on deserting Darebin!

I suppose this is another step on the path to the AFLW becoming fully professional. The day can't be too far away, especially when the AFLW season expands to accommodate more teams, that the players will no longer be able to continue playing two seasons per year (one with the AFLW and one with their local state based comp), especially with two non associated teams.

Casey Demons granted 2018 VFLW licence

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-08-17/casey-demons-granted-2018-vflw-licence

I wonder how this will effect the players? If Casey have a team in the VFL will the Melbourne AFLW players be expected to play with them? I can't see Daisy or Mel being all that keen on deserting Darebin!

I suppose this is another step on the path to the AFLW becoming fully professional. The day can't be too far away, especially when the AFLW season expands to accommodate more teams, that the players will no longer be able to continue playing two seasons per year (one with the AFLW and one with their local state based comp), especially with two non associated teams.
I have a feeling Mel and Daisy will be part of the coaching staff

10k with free tickets is pretty rubbish.

Kind of expected though.

I know you're not a fan of AFLW TK and to be honest I don't enjoy watching it either but looking at crowd numbers is pretty pointless. It is only natural that AFLW will grow the game itself and help out the mens side. I don't take much interest in it but I do think it is a good thing for footy no matter which way you look at it.

Kind of expected though.

I know you're not a fan of AFLW TK and to be honest I don't enjoy watching it either but looking at crowd numbers is pretty pointless. It is only natural that AFLW will grow the game itself and help out the mens side. I don't take much interest in it but I do think it is a good thing for footy no matter which way you look at it.
Yeah agree, I don't really have much of an interest in the AFLW either but I think it's fantastic for the women to have their own league under the AFL umbrella. The crowd numbers will grow as the AFLW establishes itself further. It's about time the women got their own league in the AFL so I'm happy for them.

It really is a tough one. I think most supporters of AFL are happy there is now a women's league under the AFL banner. But most supporters of the AFL don't seem interested in watching it. So I'm not sure how far the AFL go in spending $$ and promoting it. Hopefully it does grow and of course will take time to do so, but if last night is a good indication of the best players that comp has, then they surely can't expand the competition with more teams. Talent pool is very very thin.

Kind of expected though.

It's not that I'm not a fan, they deserve the right to play at the top level as well. I'm not a fan of how it's been promoted and how they tell us how good they are when 3/4 of them have played less than 5 games in there life. Then you hear want even more money when IMO they have done nothing to earn it yet. Just let them breathe without pumping them up as the greatest thing ever for a while. The standard is horrible no matter how you look at it. Give them a few years to build a base before you mass promote it. The counter argument would be they need the promotion to build the base and I understand that angle but why does everyone have to pretend it was a good standard?
Just be honest with it.
The under 18 national carnival is a much higher standard but has almost no one watch and the only difference is gender.

Let them earn respect like everyone else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back