Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Love her. She's been absolutely massive for the club.

Stoked she won a flag, and will be forever thankful she was in the commentary box when the men won theirs.

What a bloody legend.
Agree she has had a massive impact on the club. I feel she has helped us avoid the expansion raids to an extent (and helped us get Harris) by being such a revered figure in the world of women's footy and building our culture. I'm often pretty cynical about that sort of stuff but it's obvious all the players/coaches/staff love her and she loves them.

Not surprising news but still emotional. Glad she got to go out on a high with a flag, and with such a young core in our team we're in good stead for the next few years.

The carnage of expansion signings has kicked off again and we look like scating through relatively unscathed.
Brisbane being raised again - Bodey and Bates gone to Hawthorn; Wardlaw almost certain to request a trade to Vic (Saints in the box seat).
Crows have lost Woodland to Port. May lose more.
As a Dees fan it's great for us, but does screw around the comp significantly. Hopefully this is the last year of this kind of unfettered poaching from new teams (although there's sure to be some further assistance offered to perennial battlers if they don't lift in the next couple of seasons).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad for next season is full after signing another Mackin: Sister act | Another Mackin joins the Dees
Also got ex-GWS/rugby 7s player Georgia Fowler: Fowler makes Melbourne home

Also worth noting the retirement of Elise O'Dea. She was a foundation player and captain for the year Daisy was out. Had a few massive games in the early years for us.

Its surprising to me that the womans programme can find Irish talent but the men seem uninterested .
R.I.P Jimmy
Sister act | Another Mackin joins the Dees
I think the relative wages for women's Gaelic can't really compete with AFLW (I vaguely recall Goody's gaelic coach complaining about that a few years back), also the shorter season make it an easier sell (4-6 months here over their winter, vs basically full time in Aus for men) for women players.
Would be nice if we could find another diamond in the rough from Ireland (or elsewhere) for the blokes though

Fixture officially announced:
SOM28-23-AFLW-Fixture-ReleaseFIXTURE.png

We'll finally play Geelong after about 5 seasons of them in the comp. Game against the Giants again after years without playing them it seems.
On paper a reasonable fixture. A lot could be riding on that final game v Brisbane (probably the League's hope too).

We'll finally play Geelong after about 5 seasons of them in the comp. Game against the Giants again after years without playing them it seems.
On paper a reasonable fixture. A lot could be riding on that final game v Brisbane (probably the League's hope too).
10 games , only 4 at Casey and a home game at Princes Park ?

10 games , only 4 at Casey and a home game at Princes Park ?
Two home games at Ikon it looks like, only 3 at Casey. Suspect the club is trying to get more Melbourne supporters to games who cbf traveling to Casey.

Thanks Dory.

I don't like this fixture much, as a so called, 'for the supporters' type fixture...

We unfurl our new flag in blue-bagger and Pies territory.

Not at our home base... for One.

Then we play only twice at our home of Casey in the first 8 matches.. wtf***.

Its a good way to get our supporter base to come to Our home games, by not playing them there.:mad:
Casey is a stupid place to be based out of. It's a niche competition. Go where the people are.

Actually I think Caufield make for the perfect home for our Women's team ;)

Its a good way to get our supporter base to come to Our home games, by not playing them there.:mad:
I'm no Melbournian but Ikon seems a lot easier to get to than Casey? Casey is a tricky ground so potentially offers more of a home 'advantage' but we'll get bigger crowds at PP (something I assume the league would like to see too).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back