Strategy AFLW List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Her manager Alex Saundry confirmed the decision on Monday.
“It’s a university and lifestyle choice,” Saundry said.
“She’ll be happy to go to either club, Swans or Giants.”
Ham is all but sure to end up with Sydney, who has the first five selections of NSW clubs in the draft, including the first pick overall later this month.
Ham’s decision is certain to disappoint Victorian clubs, particularly expansion sides Hawthorn and Essendon, denying them the chance to land one of the best young prospects in the female game.

Montana Ham and Sofia Hurley nominating the NSW Zone and going to Sydney, not great news.

i think Jasmine Fleming might be our 1st pick now - goal kicking midfielder now that Ham has chosen Sydney.

also we need Mia Busch who is similar to Sofia Hurley as an outside runner and competitor.

Last edited:

Damn that's a huge blow :(

Rylie Wilcox is another one worth considering too at pick 5/6 in the Vic Pool.

i was thinking that with Zarlie Goldsworthy nominating the Vic Zone and as a hawks mad supporter, also we would have given her assurances that we would take her and with Montana Ham choosing NSW Zone, i think we might have to take her 1st before Essendon have the chance to grab her, she is a top 5 or so pick in this draft and has an amazing goal kicking record which is massive.

(Vic Zone) so we might go?, this is my guess?

Pick 2 - Zarlie Goldsworthy
Pick 4 - Ess - Jasmine Fleming
Pick 6 - Charlotte Baskaran
Pick 8 - Ess - Amber Clarke
Pick 9 - Charlotte Taylor
Pick 10 - Mia Busch
Pick 16 - StK - McKenzie Eardley
Pick 17 - Carl - Rylie Wilcox
Pick 18 - Carl - Charlie Ryan
Pick 21 - Western - Bridie Hipwell
Pick 22 - Taylor Gatt
Pick 25 - Paige Scott
Pick 26 - Lauren Elliot

i was thinking that with Zarlie Goldsworthy nominating the Vic Zone and as a hawks mad supporter, also we would have given her assurances that we would take her and with Montana Ham choosing NSW Zone, i think we might have to take her 1st before Essendon have the chance to grab her, she is a top 5 or so pick in this draft and has an amazing goal kicking record which is massive.

Pick 10 - Mia Busch
Pick 22 - Taylor Gatt
Pick 25 - Paige Scott
Pick 26 - Lauren Elliot
Yeah it's definitely an interesting situation we find ourselves in now.

It's a good call that you make and you could be on the money. I guess the real question is who does Essendon want the most?

We definitely want both Fleming and Goldsworthy. I think your right on the money too with Charlotte Taylor at pick 9 as well.

We might have had Fleming locked in for the number one choice for awhile now as she is right under our noses having played cricket for Box Hill and is also a Hawks fan. Ham spent some time training at the bombers and it sounds like we didn't push too hard to keep her in Vic, by allowing Sydney to swoop on her and encourage her to relocate to Sydney.

I think we will go Fleming at 1 and Goldsworthy at 3. I have a feeling that Essendon rate Clarke and Baskeran higher than Goldsworthy. Clarkes blistering speed is a real weapon (she holds a number of hurdles records and originally wanted to represent Australia at the commonwealth games) and Baskaran's leadership and ambition (along with her wonderful skills) is a real standout.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong though.

Yeah it's definitely an interesting situation we find ourselves in now.

It's a good call that you make and you could be on the money. I guess the real question is who does Essendon want the most?

We definitely want both Fleming and Goldsworthy. I think your right on the money too with Charlotte Taylor at pick 9 as well.

We might have had Fleming locked in for the number one choice for awhile now as she is right under our noses having played cricket for Box Hill and is also a Hawks fan. Ham spent some time training at the bombers and it sounds like we didn't push too hard to keep her in Vic, by allowing Sydney to swoop on her and encourage her to relocate to Sydney.

I think we will go Fleming at 1 and Goldsworthy at 3. I have a feeling that Essendon rate Clarke and Baskeran higher than Goldsworthy. Clarkes blistering speed is a real weapon (she holds a number of hurdles records and originally wanted to represent Australia at the commonwealth games) and Baskaran's leadership and ambition (along with her wonderful skills) is a real standout.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong though.
i was keen on us getting Sofia Hurley, but now that she has nominated the Swans(basically) i think Mia Busch should be a high value target for us, very similar player to Hurley and 1 i really liked, but in my prior lists seeing as i had us picking Hurley i thought Busch would be excess to our needs, but now i think Busch would be a great pick up for us.

it could be that we go Fleming, Goldsworthy and Essendon go Baskaran and Clarke? all 4 are great, i really liked Taylor and for me Busch is a really good pick as well for our next 2 picks then the last 3 picks we will pick up whats left of that top tier group of talents.

Pick 10 - Mia Busch
Pick 22 - Taylor Gatt
Pick 25 - Paige Scott
Pick 26 - Lauren Elliot
Goldsworthy has nominated NSW zone so looks like she will end up a Giant, as Sydney apparently are committed in containing Ham, Hurley, C. Hamilton, Mitchell and Beruldsen

Last edited:

Pick 10 - Mia Busch
Pick 22 - Taylor Gatt
Pick 25 - Paige Scott
Pick 26 - Lauren Elliot

Interesting with Goldsworthy heading North and Zara Hamilton south there look to be a number of different possible combos for 6, 9 and 10 and anything could happen at 22, 25 and 26 by which stage one or more mature agers could be considered if they fill a list need and may not last until the 8th (and possibly final) pick.

Interesting with Goldsworthy heading North and Zara Hamilton south there look to be a number of different possible combos for 6, 9 and 10 and anything could happen at 22, 25 and 26 by which stage one or more mature agers could be considered if they fill a list need and may not last until the 8th (and possibly final) pick.

its a shame the Victorian Zone was pillaged hard

it is so odd having Zones to recruit from instead of an open pool, my new guess at what might happen

pick 2 - Haw - Jasmine Fleming
pick 4 - Ess - Amber Clarke
pick 6 - Haw - Charlotte Baskaran
pick 8 - Ess - McKenzie Eardley
pick 9 - Haw - Charlotte Taylor
pick 10 - Haw - Mia Busch
pick 16 - StK - Bridie Hipwell
pick 17 - Carl - Rylie Wilcox
pick 18 - Carl - Lauren Elliot
pick 21 - WB - Mia Austin
Pick 22 - Haw - Charlie Ryan
pick 25 - Haw - Taylor Gatt
pick 26 - Haw - Paige Scott

Zara Hamilton will probably end up at Ess at a later pick

Fleming at 1, Clarke or Baskaran at our 2nd pick, then Eardley/Taylor/Busch for me at the next 3 potentially? and whats left at the last 3, just a guess at what might happen?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was told she would nominate in the Victorian Zone? if true its not good news :(
Yeah that was my fault, apologies for that

The AFL.com article said that "TOP NEW South Wales prospect Zarlie Goldsworthy is more likely to nominate Victoria rather than her home state in the upcoming NAB AFLW Draft."

its a shame the Victorian Zone was pillaged hard

it is so odd having Zones to recruit from instead of an open pool, my new guess at what might happen

pick 2 - Haw - Jasmine Fleming
pick 4 - Ess - Amber Clarke
pick 6 - Haw - Charlotte Baskaran
pick 8 - Ess - McKenzie Eardley
pick 9 - Haw - Charlotte Taylor
pick 10 - Haw - Mia Busch
pick 16 - StK - Bridie Hipwell
pick 17 - Carl - Rylie Wilcox
pick 18 - Carl - Lauren Elliot
pick 21 - WB - Mia Austin
Pick 22 - Haw - Charlie Ryan
pick 25 - Haw - Taylor Gatt
pick 26 - Haw - Paige Scott

Zara Hamilton will probably end up at Ess at a later pick

Fleming at 1, Clarke or Baskaran at our 2nd pick, then Eardley/Taylor/Busch for me at the next 3 potentially? and whats left at the last 3, just a guess at what might happen?
Still looks recoverable for us. Charlotte Baskaran or Amber Clarke at pick 6 is still a good result, like yourself I hope we get Baskaran.

It won't affect us too much, but the trickle down affect for the rest of the Victorian clubs is pretty harsh.

Just hope its not too long before we have a fairer draft system for the AFLW.

this article applies to the HFC, in regards to the up coming draft

AFLW draft: Clubs raise draft integrity concerns with league​

AFLW clubs have raised concerns over the integrity of next week’s draft and clubs using incentives to lure top prospects.

The AFL is in talks with clubs over an alleged integrity issue surrounding next week’s AFL Women’s draft and its potential No. 1 pick.
A meeting will be held on Thursday afternoon between six Victorian clubs and the AFL in the wake of two top Victorian draft prospects nominating Sydney as their intended destination in recent days.

Potential No. 1 pick Montana Ham and fellow Victorian top prospect Sofia Hurley – two of Victoria’s most impressive young players – have nominated for the New South Wales draft pool, opting to leave their home state.

Her manager, Alex Saundry, said this week that Ham’s decision was “a university and lifestyle choice”.

Both players are expected to be taken by Sydney, which has the first five selections in the NSW pool.

It has also been alleged by Victorian clubs — which will detail their concerns to the league in the meeting — that some interstate clubs may have been offering contracts to draftees including incentives outside of their playing contract as further impetus to nominate outside of their home state.

It was an issue that was raised to the AFL Women’s competition committee in the wake of Gold Coast young gun Charlie Rowbottom’s shock call to nominate Queensland as her draft destination at the end of 2021.

But despite being aware of apparent grievances from some clubs, the league did not act.

Many clubs feel that they are not on an even playing field when it comes to drafting players, with one club insider suggesting that any such action could even constitute conduct prejudicial to the draft.

“A full pitch to draftees isn’t something you’re supposed to do,” they said.

“Then, it’s not a draft.”

The 2022 AFLW draft is set to be held on Wednesday night.

As part of the league’s integrity investigation, some prospective AFLW players and their families have been interviewed by headquarters.

It is believed that as recently as a few weeks ago, Ham – who is 17 and due to finish her Year 12 studies in coming months – had given indications that she had intentions to stay in Victoria to play.

The league runs a state-based draft, where players can only nominate one state to play in.

In the wake of the top pair’s decision, clubs revolted at both the system and the strategies some allege are being employed in players nominating outside of their home state.

“When it happened, the phones at AFL House blew up, asking what the league was going to do about it,” one club insider said.

“Some clubs traded picks to get picks inside the top 10, thinking these girls would be in Victoria.”

Border talent Zarlie Goldsworthy was on the record as recently as last month declaring that she felt Victoria would be the place for her, before pivoting to nominate New South Wales this week and could land at Greater Western Sydney.

Under the state-based draft system, players receive a $10,000 incentive if they are selected as the state’s top pick.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/1c032d9744534a0e828b0ebbf7e822e2

There is no doubt Sydney have made a pitch and offered incentives to both Hurley & Ham if they nominate NSW.

One solution moving forward is to get draftees to do their nominations before the trade period starts.

However, the problem regarding AFLW draft integrity remains and Vic clubs have a right to be furious with the AFL.

Last edited:

Interesting read, sounds like Mack Eardley is the first key domino to determining who goes where in the Vic pool

Had no idea Amber Clarke was a mad Hawks supporter.

I'm very keen on Rylie Wilcox with our 3rd and 4th selections.

Mia Austin is another interesting one too. She is still a bit Raw, but lots of upside and we need long-term support for the tall fwd/ruck role with both Tegan Cunningham and Tamara Luke both in the twilight of their careers.

Last edited:
What does everyone think about the top 20 phantom draft on the AFL Website

got Fleming ,Clarke, Hipwell and Wilcox with our first 4 picks

Personally if Baskaran was available at our second pick I would be keen to take her.

However it pans out it will be great to add some top end talent to the squad.

Personally if Baskaran was available at our second pick I would be keen to take her.

However it pans out it will be great to add some top end talent to the squad.
Yeah. I definitely think we would take Baskaran over Clarke as well, if given the option.

Using the recent 2021 draft for the mens as example, I know the recruitment team placed a high value on leadership and character of the players we were drafting (Ward and McDonald are both strong in these areas) to help drive the culture of the next wave coming through. With the AFLW draft, I'm sure we will have the same philosophy and Fleming and Baskaran both have these qualities in spades (from what I have read).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back