Training AFLW on field training with AFL players?

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit for the voyeurs in this concept, but nothing for anyone else. I am really looking forward to the women's competition as a chance to see football played as something other than the congested game of tackles and scrums that professionalism has made it.

A bit for the voyeurs in this concept, but nothing for anyone else. I am really looking forward to the women's competition as a chance to see football played as something other than the congested game of tackles and scrums that professionalism has made it.

Great point. I think it is a good idea to go down to the 16 players on the field (actually think the AFL should do this as well at some point), so there will be so little congestion it will be nice to watch.

You refer to yours as 'a joke'? Poor fella...

I am lamentable... i've tried to change but i just cant do it. The peculiar thing is that people tell me that i'm a captive to locker room humour and i really havent spent much time in locker rooms... i'll try harder

I am lamentable... i've tried to change but i just cant do it. The peculiar thing is that people tell me that i'm a captive to locker room humour and i really havent spent much time in locker rooms... i'll try harder

Locker room humour emanates from outside the locker room. Trump taught me that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-06/women-in-the-mix-as-demons-double-up-on-training

Only mentions in the first 3 paragraphs but MelbFC will be have a crack at joint sessions. I guess they read my post. :p:p

"MELBOURNE aims to run mixed training sessions as preparations ramp up for the respective women's and men's competitions.

The Demons will choose workouts that suit their squads, taking into account how far advanced they are with their preparations.

Women's team coach Mick Stinear – who also has a development role with the AFL squad – said there was "genuine interest" in joint sessions focusing on skill development."

I'd imagine they could structure certain sessions to facilitate joint training with the VFL and women's squads. Great for promoting a sense of belonging. Senior guys already do occasional alternate training like the session at bounce or whatever the joint was called so don't see how this'd be any different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would only make sense to me if the men's and women's teams used the exact same game plan, and none of the VFL listed players were available to make up the numbers for that session.
Wow my opinion has changed a lot in the last 12 months. Goes to show the impact the AFLW had on me! Can't wait till February 2 and hopefully we can knock over those jokers at Carlton.

3066 I can't agree with you on this.

While I'm excited by the women's competition and the fact that we are a foundation club, the management and development of our senior men's team clearly takes precedent.

The club is big enough, in our resources and training facilities, to ensure that none of our teams are compromised in any way by the training and preparation of our other club teams. Not sure there are any benefits to be had from combining training.

Media wise, the club is pushing hard with the women's team, and the attention will grow. Footy wise, they need to develop at their own pace. Having some sort of contrived training arrangement with the men doesn't seem helpful or necessary at this point, to me anyway.

You don't reckon theres any benefit from the two groups getting together, having some fun, getting to know each other better? I hate it when one part of an organisation has nothing to with another. It can breed all sorts of problems. It seems the players were doing it with other areas of the footy club as well with the work experience stuff. I reckon it's really healthy and necessary thing. I guess you can argue the merits of choosing training to do that but it would seem a pretty natural environment for a footy club i'd have thought.

One of the things I was really excited about with the womans team was that it would make the club more diverse. I reckon that's another really healthy thing to have in an organisation. Different experiences and view points. But what benefit do you get out of that if you compartmentalise that and there is no interaction between the groups?

In short I think the benefit in this relates to building a positive culture within our club, rather than any benefit in our training. Building a strong culture is really important. I think it's fantastic.

Not sure if it's been covered in other posts so excuse me if it has?

Wondering if anyone has seen the AFLW players doing on field training with our AFL players? I've seen/heard a few video bites of the AFLW talking about being in the same gym but nothing on field.

Granted it's early stages if they aren't, but surely it's inevitable yeah? ..... especially when they become more seasoned, experienced, fitter, stronger, faster, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound .. .yadda yadda yadda.

Female tennis players often train against men. Ronda Rousey smashes up some male sparring partner and have no doubt there are dozens of other sports too were both sexes benefit from each other in training sessions or practice matches.

Don't have an issue with it. Would allow for a bit of fun (no, not the icky sexualised stuff you immediately thought of) at training.

Last edited:
I fail to see any negatives for anyone in this.

It's great. The women's team obviously benefits from training with full-time pros and their coaches. The men benefit from an increased sense of belonging to the club and hopefully forming friendships and positive relationships. Makes the club feel like a community, all working towards the same goals. Give it enough time and I'm sure it will also become a mutually productive relationship from a footballing sense as the women are flying in terms of their increases to professionalism etc. They will offer different perspectives that can only help.

Good stuff.

It's great. The women's team obviously benefits from training with full-time pros and their coaches. The men benefit from an increased sense of belonging to the club and hopefully forming friendships and positive relationships. Makes the club feel like a community, all working towards the same goals. Give it enough time and I'm sure it will also become a mutually productive relationship from a footballing sense as the women are flying in terms of their increases to professionalism etc. They will offer different perspectives that can only help.

Good stuff.
How do the men benefit, it compromises what they can do. The men are the club they know they belong

The primary aim for our club will always be what's best for the men's team and I'm not convinced that training with an extra 30 odd players that are at perhaps A grade ammo standard provides many positives.

I can see a time when the VFL squad may combine with the girls, but the next jump is perhaps a step too far for the forseeable future.

Not the pies team or many other of the lower sides, more akin to a US team participating in the AR international series. Only few AFLW girls could pass as an A grade player even in Ammo leagues.

Last edited:

Good stuff.

There is no real benefit for the men's team other then something different breaking the monotony of preseason. As a one off there is no harm if it was a full time thing yeah nah.

Not the pies team or many other of the lower sides, more akin to a US team participating in the AR international series. Only few AFLW girls could pass as an A grade player even in Ammo leagues.

Bit rough don’t you think hah? I posted that 12 months ago and the standard was below my optimistic expectations.

It’s most likely due to poor coaching which didn’t adjust to the reduced standard and had the girls trying to play a style of footy well above their ability. Hopefully it hasn’t impacted their development too dramatically (Hope for instance was killed by it), but I’m now inclined to agree that the two teams training together provides no tangible benefit to the men’s team and suggestions that it be done on a permanent long term basis are a bit silly. I mean it’d be like bringing me or you in off the street every Wednesday because we’re able to flash a membership.

A Wednesday churn session here or there is unlikely to impact on the build for the men’s team so like Switzerland I’m neutral on it.

Can't say anything negative about it without the PC new age, feminine police, getting all over anyone with an opinion.

Plenty of reasons it shouldn't happen, happy to accept it as a one off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back