AFLW AFLW Opposition Observations

Remove this Banner Ad

A safe place to hang s**t on your favourite Collingwood and Carlton spuds.

Want to laugh at Geelong not winning a GF in this either? Here’s the place.

who are the good opposition players to watch out for? does the Adelaide woman still play?

Are ruckwomen as irrelevant in this as AFLM? Who is their version of Grundy that will get 80 hit outs 40 possessions and still not get her team to the big dance?
Answered the last question. Our ruck got spanked.

Kaitlyn Ashmore is fantastic. She was solid at Brisbane but it seems like she has taken it to the next level at North Melbourne

Lowest in the men’s league 100 years ago was 14-8 in 1897 (the first year). 9-8 is too low in the fourth year of an Aussie rules league IMO.
Reduced qtrs and with so much time wasted with throw ins and ball ups it's only going to get worse.

That gws/gc game had so much wasted time in wet conditions it was probably only about 40 minutes of actual game play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that our conference is going to be the weaker conference. That is good for us.

North Melbourne is really good, but Adelaide is injury-ravaged, Gold Cost are a fellow expansion side, GWS are a little inconsistent, Brisbane are still suspect due to the exodus and I don’t think Geelong are a huge threat to the flag at this stage.

You saw the conditions yeah?
Yeah I know, but the men’s league had conditions like that too in its 100 year history. They never produced an aggregate score as low as this. There was plenty of time to score more than just 2 goals and 5 behinds between the two sides

Yeah I know, but the men’s league had conditions like that too in its 100 year history. They never produced an aggregate score as low as this. There was plenty of time to score more than just 2 goals and 5 behinds between the two sides

Not really a comparable event - AFL mens over a 100 years to a women's game in it's 3rd year in constant drizzle and sometimes rain. There were plenty of historical scores similar. Also, it kind of says something as a counter when arguably the second best AFL team in season 2019 could only scores 3.7.25 in perfect conditions. It's all mute at the end of the day. If the trend continues, I'll be there with you yelling something has to change, but I'm confident we'll see that evolve all on it's own. Scoring is what we all love about footy, otherwise we'd be a Soccer loving nation.

Not really a comparable event - AFL mens over a 100 years to a women's game in it's 3rd year in constant drizzle and sometimes rain. There were plenty of historical scores similar. Also, it kind of says something as a counter when arguably the second best AFL team in season 2019 could only scores 3.7.25 in perfect conditions. It's all mute at the end of the day. If the trend continues, I'll be there with you yelling something has to change, but I'm confident we'll see that evolve all on it's own. Scoring is what we all love about footy, otherwise we'd be a Soccer loving nation.
I mean the AFLW skills are definitely already trending upwards and I agree with that. Bulldogs are currently scoring with ease and Adelaide last year had no problem scoring either. This will get better when there are women playing in the league after training to be AFLW players since they were younger like what is happening with the men right now.

This game is a blip and it is the first round where the games are probably the least scoring. It’s just a really bad blip and I highlighted it because I think that this is low even for the conditions that they played in. Seeing scores like this will turn people away from the league and that isn’t what we want

I mean the AFLW skills are definitely already trending upwards and I agree with that. Bulldogs are currently scoring with ease and Adelaide last year had no problem scoring either. This will get better when there are women playing in the league after training to be AFLW players since they were younger like what is happening with the men right now.

This game is a blip and it is the first round where the games are probably the least scoring. It’s just a really bad blip and I highlighted it because I think that this is low even for the conditions that they played in. Seeing scores like this will turn people away from the league and that isn’t what we want

Yeah, but footy isn't played as a constant. It evolves in peaks and troughs and provided the underlying level keeps improving, which I expect it will, then there is no reason for concern. You have to wear your long vision glasses. Don't get me wrong, that game was not pretty, but in my 25 years of playing senior footy there were some that were no better than that in similar conditions. It's all relative.

15 minute qtrs ( down from 20 minutes ) with no time on until the last 2 minutes equals a lot of wasted time with throw ins and ball ups eating into that 15 minutes. I watched that game yesterday with gws and gc and it would've equated to about 40 minutes total game play from the 60 allocated, scoring is not going to increase with limited time to do so.

15 minute qtrs ( down from 20 minutes ) with no time on until the last 2 minutes equals a lot of wasted time with throw ins and ball ups eating into that 15 minutes. I watched that game yesterday with gws and gc and it would've equated to about 40 minutes total game play from the 60 allocated, scoring is not going to increase with limited time to do so.

You are braver man than me watching that game. I had a retaining wall to build anyway. But, I knew from the weather forecast it was going to be a s**t-fight, like many games I have had to play as a senior footballer - you just try and get through it as best you can.

Wow, St Kilda only got a behind with the wind advantage. This might get ugly in the third quarter

Wow, St Kilda only got a behind with the wind advantage. This might get ugly in the third quarter
Standard is poor bar the 3-4 stand out teams, it actually looks no better than season 1 to be brutally honest and 4 extra teams spreading the talent out was going to do that. No surprise all 4 newbies lost and except for GC all lost easily.

Standard is poor bar the 3-4 stand out teams, it actually looks no better than season 1 to be brutally honest and 4 extra teams spreading the talent out was going to do that. No surprise all 4 newbies lost and except for GC all lost easily.
Probably needs a couple of years with the same teams before we see drastic improvement. The established clubs have shown improvement since the first year, but once we are in the 8th year for example I think we will start to see much higher scores. Hopefully that is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back