Autopsy AFLW Round 1, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are heading to next weeks game as they play in SA so will be surrounded by Crows heads

This week the reminders been set on foxtel for the game

Do u get to see the game somehow MU??
I was fast asleep I'm afraid, but I don't know whether we can see the women's games lives over here. I see full match replays are on the AFL site. Anyone know the situation for overseas viewers?

Really enjoyed that. Took the family and sat on the hill behind the south goals. Fantastic atmosphere. Seemed a much faster, open games than many I’ve seen on tv. There are some lightning girls on our team, so probably need to tailor the style to just run run run. Watching a little bit on replay and, wow, Patrikios is incredibly talented. More class than many of the men! Is Hunter her brother?

Was a fantastic day. The women did the club proud. Not sure if it's AFLW or St Kilda who run the game but suggest they go talk to a local footy club about running a beer tent. I'd recommend Chelt myself. 😉

Hoping the umpiring was just that the Doggies players were more well known so got the whistle until the last quarter from which time the square up became embarrassing.

Just in case...The team did our club proud today. Well done

Just putting it out there, I didn’t like what the Doggies have done to their post game song. It was a single female voice and it wasn’t strong sounding like the men’s version, if you know what I mean.

I know they can’t sing “sons of the west”, but “daughters of the west” sounded a bit bizarre it wasn’t a great rendition imo.

I‘m glad ours can stay the same for both men and women.
I kind of liked it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like the good old days. Left hand point post at the southern end. Our girls have got a bit of toe and they know how to win the footy, they aren't so good on the spread or with their disposal.
A bit unlucky with the wind too. In the first quarter it was blowing towards the south but when it was our turn with the wind it blew directly across the ground. Both sides found it hard to score after than.
Loved the crowd, loved the atmosphere. And the game was entertaining. Go Saints!

Brilliant to be back at Moorabbin watching the footy. Coincidentally my first live game of Aussie Rules was also St Kilda vs Footscray at Moorabbin. And two goals and a 25 point losing margin, where have I seen that before ... oh yeah ... R1 1897 Coll 5.11.41 vs StK 2.4.16.

Today StK 2.2.14 vs WB 6.3.39. These girls will never be as good as the boys :rolleyes:

#TogetherWeRise

Final quarter was genuinely good to watch as the girls cracked in pretty hard.

Am I the only one who is once again bewildered by the AFL's scheduling? Why are both us and Richmond playing consistently strong teams in the opening round with almost entirely newbie teams? Surely Saints vs Richmond would have been a better matchup.

We're in a really tough conference too. Bulldogs, Melbourne, Collingwood, Carlton, Fremantle. All good sides who have been in the comp a while. Only ourselves and West Coast are the newbies in our conference. Shame that all of the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Collingwood, Carlton and Fremantle won this weekend too.

Top 3 from each conference goes through to the finals so we will need a bit of luck down the stretch. I reckon we are good enough though. A lot of people better informed than myself tipped us to win today. We are a new side but have plenty of experienced players who have been in the AFLW before.

Might take some time to gel but we will get there. At half time today the only real difference was that we got smashed in clearance. Four goal opening term to the Dogs was the difference. After that we held our own, losing the last three quarters by only a goal.

It was a terrific day, too. So happy to see so many people get behind the club. Hopefully the support doesn't drop off as the season progresses.

And great to see so much activity in this thread too. It hasn't been very active in the AFLW sub-forum but today was good to see. Go Saints!

As a club where are better than what was dished up today. They put together an amazing event only for the football dept once again to let everyone down.

We are better than how we played today. Much better.
what an embarrassing post. Played the pRemiers of 2 years ago, with a brand new team of mostly debutants, and you‘ve cracked the sads already. broke even more or less after quarter time.

On another note, anyone who bemoans the effort or cost to the AFL of funding AFLW has completely missed the point. The amount of girls there today who wore their colours, and now have role models to aspire towards was immense. Far more than you see at the men’s games.

Also, the response today clearly showed we should have been in the comp from the start. Girls football in the SE suburbs has been thriving for 4 or 5 years. My nieces played it and the club I am involved in has formed both junior and senior female teams. Look at the growth of the SMJFL. We got screwed over in the initial stages, especially with Carlton being awarded a licence.

Back