Game Day AFLW Round 3- Collingwood vs GWS- Holden Centre, 4.35 AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

The other thing is we really need to settle the side. Today Molloy forward then back, Duffin back then forward. The last 3 weeks King ruck, forward and again ruck. Players in/out for 1 week and then back out/in.

The odd change is okay, but it’s pretty hard to build cohesion when we’re continually throwing the magnets around.

Makes the Coach look like he has no Idea what to do

Just my two cents the woman are not fit enough yet......the fittest win IMO.
GWS looked more like professional athletes - taller and leaner and it showed on the field. They were often stronger in the air and contest as well as having better pace.

I think we largely messed up our original squad by failing to predict how AFLW would be differ. Prior to AFLW there wasn’t many athletes playing womens footy and largely the fitness wasn’t there. A different skill set stood out, a bit like the big heavy forward who dominates junior men’s footy. A lot of our women seem to be the old style footballer.

I have no doubt they’ve trained incredibly hard and looked to improve their fitness and pace, but I just wonder if they have the right body type to transition to a quickly changing game.

Sack Siekman

I’m still unsure why he was made coach. I was listening to his pre game and half time addresses last season and it was cringeworthy to listen to. I posted about it here last year.

He literally sounds like a random dad picked to coach the under 10s. Sounds like he has literally zero idea about the sport. Results show that that’s about right.

Watching the Freo Dees game......
Hate the umpiring. Just pay HTB and incorrect disposal and the ladies will know what the rules are.
At the moment, it’s a raffle as to when the whistle is blown. Must be bloody frustrating for the players.
The skills are still atrocious. Inability to grab the (smaller) ball in one motion kills the game as a spectacle.

So how are the new AFLW teams going to source new players? If we finish low on the ladder which look likely, will that dilute our potential pick? I cant imagine just players from the draft will be enough. They might get to choose existing players from other teams.

So how are the new AFLW teams going to source new players? If we finish low on the ladder which look likely, will that dilute our potential pick? I cant imagine just players from the draft will be enough. They might get to choose existing players from other teams.
There's some discussion on the AFLW thread about how the expansion will work, basically the draft is undecided and existing Vic clubs will have to give up 2-4 players (mid to high quality) using a points system.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rules-for-surrendering-players.1186843/

GWS looked more like professional athletes - taller and leaner and it showed on the field. They were often stronger in the air and contest as well as having better pace.

I think we largely messed up our original squad by failing to predict how AFLW would be differ. Prior to AFLW there wasn’t many athletes playing womens footy and largely the fitness wasn’t there. A different skill set stood out, a bit like the big heavy forward who dominates junior men’s footy. A lot of our women seem to be the old style footballer.

I have no doubt they’ve trained incredibly hard and looked to improve their fitness and pace, but I just wonder if they have the right body type to transition to a quickly changing game.

I appreciate that you have more insight than me on the AFLW comp but my opinion is an observation from being at the game today only.

Example in the third quarter a tall player (apologies for not remembering number) took a great intecept mark on the 50 and after passing of the ball was then hunched over for a minute when she should have followed the play downfield.

It was not an isolated incident in the game.

Molloy should be the prototype female player but it will take time.....she is a class above not sure how many times I said how clever she was in this game.

She needs to be played at HB permenantly this year.......great article in the Age today also.

I appreciate that you have more insight than me on the AFLW comp but my opinion is an observation from being at the game today only.

Example in the third quarter a tall player (apologies for not remembering number) took a great intecept mark on the 50 and after passing of the ball was then hunched over for a minute when she should have followed the play downfield.

It was not an isolated incident in the game.

Molloy should be the prototype female player but it will take time.....she is a class above not sure how many times I said how clever she was in this game.

She needs to be played at HB permenantly this year.......great article in the Age today also.
I don't know about having greater insight, I just think I post more than most in regards to our AFLW side. That doesn't make me an expert or mean my opinion is right or better than anyone else's. My musings are purely subjective and lack any inside info.

I think your referring to King our ruck and you'd be right she certainly struggles to get around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At Messina getting dessert after watching my first game live.

Just my two cents the woman are not fit enough yet......the fittest win IMO.

To the people who bag this competition and standard......one Molloy (class above) this year.....two next year........four the year after.........and so on.

My point is baby steps people.
Did your daughter enjoy the game, play kick to kick?

Did your daughter enjoy the game, play kick to kick?

She did enjoy it actually.........hopefully she has got it out of her system now :D:eek:

Kate Sheahan taking pot shots. That family is so bitter.

Espically after Eddie told her Father she be a Pie for Life.

But all she done since she left is take POT SHOTS at the Club

Must be some bad blood between Sheahan and Siekman, but l do agree with her comments:

Former Collingwood player Kate Sheahan says she doesn’t know how Magpies AFLW coach Wayne Siekman has kept his job.

On the back of a 0-3 start to the season for a second year, Sheahan has slammed Siekerman telling SEN’s Whateley he’d be a ‘very nervous man.’

“There was a huge amount of optimism through pre-season for these girls and rightly so. I went and watched them train and even I said, "Wow this looks better, a lot better,'" the Fox Footycommentator said.

“You’ve got Daniel Harford there, all of their line coaches were new this year, the only consistent was Wayne Siekman.

“They’re three rounds in, they’re three losses and the hurt and pain the players felt after last week’s loss was equal to that of what it was to Round 3 last year, so I’m terrified to think of how these players are feeling.

“I think Collingwood clearly have a lot on their plate at the moment with their AFL program and AFLW program but if I was Wayne Siekman I would be a very nervous man right now.

"I don’t know how someone like that keeps their job when he’s working for the most powerful club in the land.”

Sheahan says there were plenty of perplexing signs stemming from the Magpies 13-point loss to GWS at Olympic Park yesterday.

“Chloe Molloy has been the star of the show round’s one and two playing in the backline, yesterday she started up forward. Jess Duffin, who’s their best forward, started down back. To me, I don’t know why you’d change the two of them, they were comfortable where they were," she said.

“Jess is going to kick goals she’s a contested marking player, she’s a beautiful user of the ball, no one else in that forward line is going to be able to deliver. Jasmine Garner, who they put up on a pedestal to say she’s going to be our new forward, hasn’t touched it this year.

“Mo Hope has been criticised ferociously for her lack of input yet yesterday she kicked two goals, had eight disposals, four marks.

"What about the heat on the other girls? Why are we not hearing about the other girls stepping up and not delivering?”

Must be some bad blood between Sheahan and Siekman, but l do agree with her comments:

Former Collingwood player Kate Sheahan says she doesn’t know how Magpies AFLW coach Wayne Siekman has kept his job.

On the back of a 0-3 start to the season for a second year, Sheahan has slammed Siekerman telling SEN’s Whateley he’d be a ‘very nervous man.’

“There was a huge amount of optimism through pre-season for these girls and rightly so. I went and watched them train and even I said, "Wow this looks better, a lot better,'" the Fox Footycommentator said.

“You’ve got Daniel Harford there, all of their line coaches were new this year, the only consistent was Wayne Siekman.

“They’re three rounds in, they’re three losses and the hurt and pain the players felt after last week’s loss was equal to that of what it was to Round 3 last year, so I’m terrified to think of how these players are feeling.

“I think Collingwood clearly have a lot on their plate at the moment with their AFL program and AFLW program but if I was Wayne Siekman I would be a very nervous man right now.

"I don’t know how someone like that keeps their job when he’s working for the most powerful club in the land.”

Sheahan says there were plenty of perplexing signs stemming from the Magpies 13-point loss to GWS at Olympic Park yesterday.

“Chloe Molloy has been the star of the show round’s one and two playing in the backline, yesterday she started up forward. Jess Duffin, who’s their best forward, started down back. To me, I don’t know why you’d change the two of them, they were comfortable where they were," she said.

“Jess is going to kick goals she’s a contested marking player, she’s a beautiful user of the ball, no one else in that forward line is going to be able to deliver. Jasmine Garner, who they put up on a pedestal to say she’s going to be our new forward, hasn’t touched it this year.

“Mo Hope has been criticised ferociously for her lack of input yet yesterday she kicked two goals, had eight disposals, four marks.

"What about the heat on the other girls? Why are we not hearing about the other girls stepping up and not delivering?”

She does have a Very Good Point but here Comment sounded like she and Siekman are not Friends

I can't really dissagree with anything she said.

And all out line coaches are new? I can't see how that is good for continuity.

Loved this bit, the other girls don't get criticism because no one knows their names

Last edited:
I think it's a shame that Wayne has never had his own thread. Maybe this can be a de facto thread for him, let us call it 'The Wayne Vein'. Alas, for as soon as we start talking about him in earnest he will be gone, banished further from the club than a wayward midfielder.

It's a shame in its way. I was perplexed by the team's performance last year, not least because the players looked utterly perplexed about what they were meant to be doing from one moment to the next. There was no system. From what I've seen this year, though, our ball movement has been considerably better, right up until we turn the ball over in the forward line.

Despite these modest evolutions, we're winless and headed for a spoon. Doesn't bode well for Wayne at all.

PS: Not so sure about Sheehan's comments. She starts by potting the coach and lauding the players, then ends by suggesting that too much heat has been applied to Mo and not enough to the rest of the playing group. A bit weird.

I think it's a shame that Wayne has never had his own thread. Maybe this can be a de facto thread for him, let us call it 'The Wayne Vein'. Alas, for as soon as we start talking about him in earnest he will be gone, banished further from the club than a wayward midfielder.

It's a shame in its way. I was perplexed by the team's performance last year, not least because the players looked utterly perplexed about what they were meant to be doing from one moment to the next. There was no system. From what I've seen this year, though, our ball movement has been considerably better, right up until we turn the ball over in the forward line.

Despite these modest evolutions, we're winless and headed for a spoon. Doesn't bode well for Wayne at all.

PS: Not so sure about Sheehan's comments. She starts by potting the coach and lauding the players, then ends by suggesting that too much heat has been applied to Mo and not enough to the rest of the playing group. A bit weird.
I think your clutching at straws with her comment, she said they looked better during training and that they were optimistic, there's no contradiction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back