Preview AFLX How seriously will clubs take it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Uncanny X-men: The 20 players best suited to AFLX - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-13/uncanny-xmen-the-20-top-players-suited-to-aflx

An interesting list if potential AFLX stars.

Two comments from our club

1. Anyone who thinks Josh Kelly will be available is kidding themselves. We struggled to get him on the park consistently last year. Groin soreness was one issue and his focus will be a positive off-season.

2. Adam Tomlinson is an odd omission but maybe he just wasn't rated top ten. Similar athleticism but generally more versatile than Blicavs I would have thought.

It is raises interesting questions about availability though.

The players get significant cash this year and that will motivate them to play? The bruise free nature does minimise the injury risk. It's is now just a one day tournament as well, which indicates to me some thought has gone into reducing the impact in schedules. I still dont think every potential player will be available though.

For example we're racing the clock to have Toby Greene ready for round 1. I'm pretty sure the club will just say he's not fit if he is selected. There'll no doubt be hundreds of stories like that around the clubs.

If Zac William's were selected and wanted to play for Eddie Betts indigenous team it might be churlish for the club not to co-operate though.

Will the players put pressure on the clubs to let them make the cash? Will the AFLX captains make discreet enquiries about their wishes before selecting players?

Will everyone tacitly agree that it's an opportunity for the lower paid players to get a bonus, while the higher paid players are wrapped in cotton wool?

Last edited:
It's obviously targeted at the kids and to a lesser degree the fatties who populate the cheer squads of clubs.
I guess a way for the young (and stupid) to connect the sport with "superhumaness" and the movies they watch.

The finest exhibition of the game is the good players standing up in finals and big games, the sport is too fast paced and physically intense for casual showboating, the most entertaining aspect is seeing those who can be clean and clever when all the walls are closing in. In aflx there are no walls closing in, it's just a glorified training session...... Get rid

I suspect that the clubs and players treat it as a muck up day training run. Go out there, have a giggle, don't get hurt. And if it gets 5 new members so much the better, but if it doesn't... well so what?

Agree with Tayl0r though. One ACL and no team will turn up to that crappy idea of a game next year anyway

I suspect that the clubs and players treat it as a muck up day training run. Go out there, have a giggle, don't get hurt. And if it gets 5 new members so much the better, but if it doesn't... well so what?

Agree with Tayl0r though. One ACL and no team will turn up to that crappy idea of a game next year anyway
I wouldn't ignore the cash aspect though.

Initially, I thought that this would be a great idea but after considering the finer details and the players being used by each team, it'll prolly be sh!t. I remember the thing I looked forward to the most about preseason comps was the chance it gave clubs to exhibit the kids and give us a glimpse of the possibilities in future. <_<

Last edited:
I hope none of our players participate in this rubbish, and fingers crossed next year we simply get another JLT game because unfortunately I'm doubtful we'll ever see SoO again.
I hope no Eagles players get picked too.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh man I hope they dont.

They both seem injury prone.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think every club could probably engineer a reason a player cant play. Their both on initial contracts though? The cash might be enticing. The rookie contracts also have significant AFL match payments, so not pissing off the coaches might be a priority.

Would get interesting if a club said the player wasn't fit and the player said I'm good to go. Unlikely though, neither party would want a public difference like that.

I have had my 5 minutes watching it last year.

The AFL have no idea how to build a comp. They are screwing a great idea in AFLW, and this AFLX is making a bad idea worse.

Will be shocking to watch, but i actually think more good players will play than people are expecting. Whether players like Pendles are suited or not is irrelevant as its just an exhibition and no one cares who wins. It will be bruise free so probably less likely to get injured than in a training session.

They get rid of the pre season cup but bring this irrelevant crap in?
What gets me is the concept was it can be played on non AFL grounds and hopefully attract a non-AFL audience.

Last year it was played at Alliance Stadium in Sydney as one if the venues. This may not have worked too well, but it kinda made some sense in NRL territory at their stadium.

This year there's none of that in the Melbourne CBD on a square oval at the AFL owned ground. Ut seems there's definitely no coherent plan.

Expecting a fair few ' general soreness ' injuries to pop up in that week and heavy training loads offered as excuses by all clubs.

Seriously hope Jack selects 0 players from the tigers.

Last year most clubs sent out their fringe players and i would expect the same level of player to only be available this year.........................

unless off course the AFL have threatened all clubs behind the scenes to have all players available.

What gets me is the concept was it can be played on non AFL grounds and hopefully attract a non-AFL audience.

Last year it was played at Alliance Stadium in Sydney as one if the venues. This may not have worked too well, but it kinda made some sense in NRL territory at their stadium.

This year there's none of that in the Melbourne CBD on a square oval at the AFL owned ground. Ut seems there's definitely no coherent plan.
Could play it at AAMI Park and those who bother to show up would be closer to the action and at least it would look half full compared to almost empty at Bugs Bunny Oval and the fans miles away from the action unless they bring the seats in.

What do you mean by "definitely no coherent plan"?

I don't think this preseason comp is the end point.

What do you mean by "definitely no coherent plan"?

I don't think this preseason comp is the end point.
I thought I'd described what was announced as the plan last year. A game to take to non-traditional audiences that can be played in the grounds all other codes use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back