After 20 years of AFL...Did we make the right choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

crikeys did I upset some of you. Truth hurts. Thousands of you abandoned your SANFL clubs in droves, we didnt, we have our own team, you all had to hold hands together to form your AFL team.

Why are you bringing up Port Adelaide so much you guys????

crikeys did I upset some of you. Truth hurts. Thousands of you abandoned your SANFL clubs in droves, we didnt, we have our own team, you all had to hold hands together to form your AFL team.

because its a valid question; the OP is .... 20 years on did we make the right decision. The answer to that would be yes, the SANFL made the right decision altho' one could argue they probably should have relented when the WAFL did and entered rather than the Bears.

the same question could be posed of Port a few years down the track ..... 20 years on, Did Port as the sub-license holder make the right choice to bid and did the SANFL as license holder make the right decision to award it. I look forward to the discussion on your board, there are already some posters who believe that Port probably shouldn't have given the struggle its got to survive and with its membership problems etc.

You didn't upset some of us, you simply made yourself look like a fool.

which part of Port Power isn't part of the AFL and SA footy? hmmm perhaps that is why it would be on topic

I knew quite a few Port supporters who admitted that - or the Qualifying Final - was the first game they'd attended all year. I wonder how many more there were like that? That game against St Kilda proves how many people Port Adelaide can attract when things are going well.

Most of their fans are spoilt, fair weather fans from the late 80's and 90's who just can't be bothered anymore. And we ALL know several of them in our friendship circles. You all know who you are.

Oh man quoted for the truth, this is so hammer nail head.

I think Fremantle are beneficiaries of being in a state that is booming both economically and population wise.

I have just moved to Western Australia (that damn economics boom) and I have to say that the "booming" population is mostly due to ex-pats (interstate + overseas ex-pats) who either a) already follow a football team back East or b) dont really care about AFL to the point where I doubt they'd start barracking for Freo

:):)

Personally given how VFL-centric the AFL has remained over the last 20 years, and now that the Crows are no longer licensed to the AFL via SANFL ownership, I think we could dare to make some drastic but none the less interesting and exiting changes. Could we, SA, consider allowing the Crows to call Tasmania home? Why?
1. It won't matter too much where they (the Crows) are based.
2. Brings Tasmania (an AFL stronghold state) into the AFL & SANFL with competative and well set up teams.
3. Allows use of a stadium in Tasmania week in and week out alternating between SANFL and AFL matches. They could still schedule other AFL matches under license as they currently do. It works well, why throw the baby out with the bath water. Tasmania will have it own AFL team, it will greatly relieve Victorian angst, and aleviate the enormous frustration in South Australia to boot, I think an overall win for everyone.
4. Reciprical inducements for travel to and from for SANFL/Tasmanian/AFL Club members. Boost to tourism for both states.
5. Tasmanian Clubs can use SANFL to blood talent pathway through to top level.
6. SANFL gets interstate interest without compromising the base of the state competition.
7. No need to increase clubs in either AFL (18) or SANFL (10).
8. Adelaide Crows supporters would be ok with supporting the Tasmanian Crows? two Crows game could be scheduled in Adelaide (Showdown and one other) to reflect the clubs history.
9. The AFL would be happier with a competitive Tasmanian club alternative to having two uber strong South Australian based sides. (It is my belief that the Crows have been officiated into their current state by the AFL out of fear rather than any flaw in their management.) A Tasmanian base would greatly relieve this situation.
10 Future expansion of the AFL to be negotiated on AFL/SANFL/WAFL club mergers in the future. Decreasing number Melbourne based clubs (8), and slightly increasing the presence of SA (4) and WA (4) leagues, coupled with a slightly restructured VFL in line with other state leagues.

I think unless there is a bit of give and take here the way forward will be too difficult. It is not in the interest of the AFL that any one state dominates the competition. While SA and WA have realtively a low involvement and can devote large statewide resources this is a constamt threat that Victoria will have to guard and act against. It would be a good thing if both states were made to work harder for sucess by creating more competition for players and resources from within borders of each state. Unfortunately equalization does not equal a great competition.

Personally given how VFL-centric the AFL has remained over the last 20 years, and now that the Crows are no longer licensed to the AFL via SANFL ownership, I think we could dare to make some drastic but none the less interesting and exiting changes. Could we, SA, consider allowing the Crows to call Tasmania home? Why?
2. Brings Tasmania (an AFL stronghold state) into the AFL & SANFL with competative and well set up teams.
3. Allows use of a stadium in Tasmania week in and week out alternating between SANFL and AFL matches. They could still schedule other AFL matches under license as they currently do. It works well, why throw the baby out with the bath water. Tasmania will have it own AFL team, it will greatly relieve Victorian angst, and aleviate the enormous frustration in South Australia to boot, I think an overall win for everyone.
4. Reciprical inducements for travel to and from for SANFL/Tasmanian/AFL Club members. Boost to tourism for both states.
6. SANFL gets interstate interest without compromising the base of the state competition.
8. Adelaide Crows supporters would be ok with supporting the Tasmanian Crows? two Crows game could be scheduled in Adelaide (Showdown and one other) to reflect the clubs history.
9. The AFL would be happier with a competitive Tasmanian club alternative to having two uber strong South Australian based sides. (It is my belief that the Crows have been officiated into their current state by the AFL out of fear rather than any flaw in their management.) A Tasmanian base would greatly relieve this situation.
10 Future expansion of the AFL to be negotiated on AFL/SANFL/WAFL club mergers in the future. Decreasing number Melbourne based clubs (8), and slightly increasing the presence of SA (4) and WA (4) leagues, coupled with a slightly restructured VFL in line with other state leagues.

I think unless there is a bit of give and take here the way forward will be too difficult. It is not in the interest of the AFL that any one state dominates the competition. While SA and WA have realtively a low involvement and can devote large statewide resources this is a constamt threat that Victoria will have to guard and act against. It would be a good thing if both states were made to work harder for sucess by creating more competition for players and resources from within borders of each state. Unfortunately equalization does not equal a great competition.
Wtf...

Meth, hell of a drug.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This year marks our 20th anniversary in the AFL.

Many on BF would remember that night on National television or (if they were very lucky) part of the crowd at "Football Park in Adelaide" when our very first team made up of youngsters and SANFL vets took on the might of the AFL to mark the beginning of our step up into the big time.

We all remember with fond memories (perhaps not Port supporters) the siren blowing in front of an ecstatic and enthusiastic crowd as we took on the reigning AFL premiers, finally after all these years of waiting to get a spot on the national stage here we were to show our brand of football to the Victorian public.

I won't dig up the old controversies that got us to this point but all of this was forgotten once the ball was bounced.

By the time the final siren had gone we were Kings of the world (which one week later was found to be a little premature) but at that moment it all seemed worth it.

Twenty years later and two AFL premierships and I believe more to follow soon, it would be hard to say that we went down the wrong path after 1990, but I often lament the death of the old SANFL (and my beloved West Torrens) pre Crows before the backdoor tactics of the AFL changed our football history forever.

Just for the younger members of BF who may not remember the famous names of Rick Davies, Russell Ebert, Barrie Robran, Niel Kerley and the legends of my childhood Peter and Trevor Obst, Bob Loveday and someone called Lindsay Head these players not only represented one of the strongest leagues in the land (certainly when you consider our small population) but the level of interest in our local football rivalled the VFL and I believe surpassed even the fanatical Victorians.

My mother often told me that when she was young, if Westies lost, Grandma refused to talk or cook for anyone. so all the kids would barrack for Westies just to get a feed on a Saturday night.:eek:
It was a huge part of everyday life for many people in SA.

Times have changed and we have many more choices than those living in post war Adelaide, but have we made the right decision? We new by taking this path Football as we knew it would never be the same.

The last few years has seen a drop in our "fanaticism" in SA and that is sad but I don't think this is a permanent trend.

It still may be too early to judge but after 20 years I think we made the right choice. I see a bright future for our club and I see the high level of enthusiasm for the SANFL by the younger BF contributors.
Perhaps we now have the best of both worlds. The SANFL will never enjoy the level of support it once did but footy in SA is still strong.

And (God bless her) I wonder if my fanatical West Adelaide supporting Grandma would approve?
Things have changed Huntercrow. That first Crows side was close to a state side, it used to pummel what was left of the SANFL teams, I doubt even the full crows list could deal with a combined SANFL side today. Would make a good match though, I'd love to see it.

Absolutely incredible.

One hell of a ******* bump of a 10 year old thread hahahahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things have changed Huntercrow. That first Crows side was close to a state side, it used to pummel what was left of the SANFL teams, I doubt even the full crows list could deal with a combined SANFL side today. Would make a good match though, I'd love to see it.
Not if there are SANFL umpires officiating in the game that's for sure and certain.

Is this some sort of crazy play to keep Chayce Jones playing for the crows?

why 'relocate' the club that can stand on its own 2 feet.

The only thing this thread is making me think is that I hope those poor kids in OP's post still don't have to wait for a Westies win to get a feed... poor buggers would have starved to death by mid-2019 or so.

The SANFL were too late to the party.. we should have joined the VFL in the early to mid 80s when first asked. i say this cos of the talent we could have had before they were poached between 84-87... Sticks, Rat, Bradley, Motley etc.. would have been a super side.

Pretty much. Does anyone think it would have turned out much different even without Ports's "treachery"?
“Treachery” is not a word I would use. It was opportunistic. Perhaps wrong from a gentleman’s agreement perspective. But let’s pretend for a moment Port were successful. Do you think they would have left the Sanfl and just picked up the club and moved it?

Think you're looking for the Port board

Mad Essendon member but third generation lifelong Norwood supporter and proud South Australian and I really wished the SANFL had asserted their hand with the VFL. There was a genuine chance to create a fully national comp out of the ashes of the VFL with rotating Grand Finals and much more favourable conditions but unfortunately we blinked and we are left with a comp that is still the VFL in everything but name and it will never change now.

The SANFL were too late to the party.. we should have joined the VFL in the early to mid 80s when first asked. i say this cos of the talent we could have had before they were poached between 84-87... Sticks, Rat, Bradley, Motley etc.. would have been a super side.
Imagine a side with those guys in it dominating the VFL for a couple years.
Imagine how quickly a national draft would have happened, and COLA, and draft academies.
Imagine our success (and arguably west coasts) leading to cashed up teams in non-Vic states with rules in place to encourage the best players to come back to Vic when they are 23 (but you get a sweet 2nd round pick).
Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try.
Imagine a level playing field where all the grand final is mandated to be played at the Victorian team home ground

Oooo ooo EEEE oooo

No religion too

Other than football

(sorry I meant cash from TV rights)

I didn’t drop my sanfl team either. I had my port magpies membership and Crows membership for years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back