Analysis All Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

TheBuzz

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Historically, massively dominant teams have gone on to dominating All Australian selection. Cats during their recent dynasty at times had double digits or something stupid.

We are always under represented for AA spots, which our small club profile has a lot to do with.

Definitely getting ahead of myself (and I'm ready for but won't be receptive of trolls), but I reckon worst case we go something like 8-5 from here for a 17-5 season. If we go 20-2 or better, I'd say 6 spots minimum is warranted.

And look, I don't see every minute of every game of every team.

But in particular, I would love to hear any argument about anyone who could possibly be ahead of Robbie Tarrant for the Full Back AA spot this year. Dude is owning the Defensive 50.

Those in contention for mine (in order at time of posting) if they go on with it are:

Taz
Goldy
Waite
JZ
Wellsy (injuries permitting)
Spud
Gibson
Cunners
JMac

Historically, massively dominant teams have gone on to dominating All Australian selection. Cats during their recent dynasty at times had double digits or something stupid.

We are always under represented for AA spots, which our small club profile has a lot to do with.

Definitely getting ahead of myself (and I'm ready for but won't be receptive of trolls), but I reckon worst case we go something like 8-5 from here for a 17-5 season. If we go 20-2 or better, I'd say 6 spots minimum is warranted.

And look, I don't see every minute of every game of every team.

But in particular, I would love to hear any argument about anyone who could possibly be ahead of Robbie Tarrant for the Full Back AA spot this year. Dude is owning the Defensive 50.

Those in contention for mine (in order at time of posting) if they go on with it are:

Taz
Goldy
Waite
JZ
Wellsy (injuries permitting)
Spud
Gibson
Cunners
JMac

Dont think they are a chance

Taz and Goldy maybe, but none of our mids will get a gig because we done share the ball around, thus giving selectors good reason to wow everyone with their ability to refer to champion data stats (completely missing the reason is because we play a very direct style with a no bullshit approach) and because, well, we're North. None of our players are really that good and we only win games because the other team had key injuries/fatigue/tinea.

Taz and Goldy maybe, but none of our mids will get a gig because we done share the ball around, thus giving selectors good reason to wow everyone with their ability to refer to champion data stats (completely missing the reason is because we play a very direct style with a no bullshit approach) and because, well, we're North. None of our players are really that good and we only win games because the other team had key injuries/fatigue/tinea.
True our mids go at low 20's and AA selectors jerk off when you are at the mid 30's....

Matthew Lloyd has Scotty Thompson in his All Australian team FYI.

The last four you have named have absolutely no chance of making the team, for the record.

In particular Cunnington who not only is vying for a position in the the highly competitive midfield, but has been down this year from his usual lofty standards.

Over the last 3 years we've been a very 'team orientated' side. We haven't had guys that average high disposal numbers and high goal kicking numbers. The only problem with that is with individual awards like AA side.....the guys in our side will always struggle.

Unless your Todd Goldstein.

Look at our 2 best midfielders - Cunnington(average 21 touches) & Ziebell(average 22 touches). Like it or not not.....low 20's isn't AA side numbers. Waite's playing out of his skin but look at Lynch & Franklin :/

For this year I'd say Goldstein's spot is his to lose. The other guys mentioned might get in the AA squad.

Matthew Lloyd has Scotty Thompson in his All Australian team FYI.

The last four you have named have absolutely no chance of making the team, for the record.

In particular Cunnington who not only is vying for a position in the the highly competitive midfield, but has been down this year from his usual lofty standards.
I reckon Spud & Gibson have legit chances if we only drop a couple of games.

Cunners while a bit inconsistent has been BOG a couple of times.

Goldstein, Tarrant, Ziebell and Waite would all be in the current squad of 40.

You could make an argument for all four to be in the side, but none are absolute certainties.

The All-Australian for me is a bit like the Brownlow these days, just a gimmick for commercial purposes. I don't really care or take notice of who wins. The reason for this is there are some absolute cretins on the AA panel and the umpires, in fairness to them, have other things to worry about and focus on rather than assigning votes. Often they just reward the blokes they see under their eyes at stoppages the most.

If I was a player, I'd want to win the Coaches Association Award and that is it. The beauty with this award is that votes are evenly spread across the field with "role" players(taggers and defenders) rewarded when warranted. Additionally the coaches have a much greater idea about what constitutes a quality performance in the modern game than anyone else. This would be followed by a best and fairness. Another joke of an award is the AFLPA MVP. There aren't many players that would bother to sit down and watch a full game after their side is done that weekend. They just garner their opinions from the puff piece shows like 360 who constantly pump the tyres up of the same players each week. That and the blokes like Rockliff who are fair to middling footballers but score well in Dream Team.

The year Nic Nat was given that charity place in the team was the end of it for me. Ever since then, I've glanced at who gets in the next day in the paper but would never take any time to digest or care about that information. I reckon a lot of people make a big deal about the All Australian Award when really it's just the opinion of a few morons who like to look after their mates and agendas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing as our players don't handball in circles, thus bumping disposal numbers up, our mids don't 'look' like they get as much of the ball.

We also do less of the handball to a stationary target, run past to receive it back before hand balling or kicking it forward stuff which doubles possession numbers (HELLOOOOOOOOOOO Cotch).

We also do less of the handball to a stationary target, run past to receive it back before hand balling or kicking it forward stuff which doubles possession numbers (HELLOOOOOOOOOOO Cotch).
I wouldnt mind seeing JZ do thata everyone now and then rather than bombing t hack kick forward.... but yes we are very direct....

I wouldnt mind seeing JZ do thata everyone now and then rather than bombing t hack kick forward.... but yes we are very direct....

I think it's more a possession boosting technique for seagulls and top quality ball users. I'm happy with Jack's current bull work followed by a couple of steps to straighten up before roosting.

Waite and Tarrent are chances to make it, and Goldstein doesn't even need to be at 100% to make it.
Goldy is actually no where near 100% imo atm.... i like how he looks to exploit weaknesses in his opponents....
I think it's more a possession boosting technique for seagulls and top quality ball users. I'm happy with Jack's current bull work followed by a couple of steps to straighten up before roosting.
There was a passage of play on the weekend where he got the ball and kicked it the second he got it... he had a runner on the inside with plenty of space...
he needs to stop doing this....

Goldy is actually no where near 100% imo atm.... i like how he looks to exploit weaknesses in his opponents....

There was a passage of play on the weekend where he got the ball and kicked it the second he got it... he had a runner on the inside with plenty of space...
You're right, he's not, yet he is still right up for the #1 ruck spot in the AA team.

If it was done TODAY

Goldstein is in. Ziebell is in (meteres gained, impact, coaches award), so is tarrant.

Thompson is close, just misses.
One who should be mentioned as a small forward...

Boomer. He slots in for mine, only eddie betts ahead of him. However most likely they go with 3 tall fwds, franklin, waite and kennedy/lynch????, then some midfieldfer who spends no time fwd and cant kick goals (dangerfield maybe?)... then betts and boomer. So maybe he does fit in!

I reckon he'd know that himself and he's better at it than he was. I do however think he's under instruction to get the bastard as deep into our F50 as quickly as possible to ensure our three towers and crumbers can do their damage before oppo numbers flood back. You're right though, there are times when there's an opportunity to go the shorter option or assistant nearby, as was pointed out one one occasion during the coverage.

I reckon he'd know that himself and he's better at it than he was. I do however think he's under instruction to get the bastard as deep into our F50 as quickly as possible to ensure our three towers and crumbers can do their damage before oppo numbers flood back. You're right though, there are times when there's an opportunity to go the shorter option or assistant nearby, as was pointed out one one occasion during the coverage.
Yep, overall im pretty happy with JZ's output so far this year, i was never on the bandwagon like some around here so i tend to judge him more harshly.....

I will say that i was almost first on the Aaron Black bandwagon and that turned to s**t.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back