Moved Thread All Things Jack Viney - re-signed until 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game, and can say he was safely the best player on the ground. (In a game where two players kicked five)

Even my Collingwood supporting mate said Viney was clear BOG.

His contested work is brilliant, 3/4's of his possessions would have been contested and he is very much in the Jordan Lewis/Luke Ball mold (obviously Ball being a clasier user).

Great in and under, when he is near a contest no one else wins the ball, and his disposal is solid.

Tackled with ferocity, literally no one on the ground was as aggressive.

I dare say it will be very similar on an AFL field.

He could have been a bit more selfish around goal on occasion.

He is also quite quick, or at least has excellent acceleration.

Another thing to note is that he spent probably a quarter and half resting in the forwardline as well.

I was at the game, and can say he was safely the best player on the ground. (In a game where two players kicked five)

Even my Collingwood supporting mate said Viney was clear BOG.

His contested work is brilliant, 3/4's of his possessions would have been contested and he is very much in the Jordan Lewis/Luke Ball mold (obviously Ball being a clasier user).

Great in and under, when he is near a contest no one else wins the ball, and his disposal is solid.

Tackled with ferocity, literally no one on the ground was as aggressive.

I dare say it will be very similar on an AFL field.

He could have been a bit more selfish around goal on occasion.

He is also quite quick, or at least has excellent acceleration.

Another thing to note is that he spent probably a quarter and half resting in the forwardline as well.

Thanks for the summary, TPM.:thumbsu: If there is one area of his game he needs to work on, what would you suggest it is?

And can I just say, after a dismal year, the last two weeks or so have genuinely filled me with optimism for next year. 2011 could be a blessing in disguise for us.

I may be wrong, but we are able to select an Under 18 as the 23rd player in the VFL line-up each week.
Unsure how that rule works, but I know a few Gipps Power boys played for Casey this year.

I did think this could be a loophole - does the 23rd have to be from the local TAC team I wonder???

I did think this could be a loophole - does the 23rd have to be from the local TAC team I wonder???

TAC clubs are zoned to VFL clubs. Casey can take players from Gippsland and Dandenong.

To answer a few questions;

From what I saw his kicking needs the most improvement (and it's probably the only aspect) and luckily it isn't a technical issue like his old man. He just needs to make better decisions by foot... basically just being less ambitious.... (this isn't an issue at all by hand), which will come in another year of elite pathways football.

As a side note he also took 2 or 3 very strong contested grabs.

He is quick Gazza, not lightning but he definitely possesses more than adequate pace.

He was still competing, chasing and tackling hard right up until the siren so I think he is very fit as well.

He ticks a lot of boxes.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy but why would Carey Grammar, a school which he is most likely getting a free ride to on a scholarship, say "oh that's okay, you can go play football elsewhere but we'll still let you come here for free"? Private schools have had a history of standing in the way of players playing at better comps (eg. TAC Cup) so I can't see how this would be much different. From memory Xavier Ellis continued playing at Melbourne Grammar (I think) after he was drafted by Hawthorn. He was too skinny to play AFL but I'm sure the Hawks would have rathered he played for Box Hill.

Carey has quite a different outlook in this department IMO, knowing most of the staff involved I'm sure that they would be happy for Jack to play SOME games at Casey.

No doubt they will also request he play the majority of the APS season, but they aren't going to stand in the way of his development.

I think between 5 and 10 games is realistic.

Didn't he kill the game today.. I didn't see it but I heard he played really well. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Benefits of already having him at the club, we are already managing him
and on top of any potential injuries.

If he is even half as good as his old man we are on a winner.

Benefits of already having him at the club, we are already managing him
and on top of any potential injuries.

If he is even half as good as his old man we are on a winner.
Wrong account.

jack played in the AIS squad today in curtain raiser for tigers blues match and tore it up not sure on stats but was getting talked up on the radio aswell as lauchie whitfield who will go no1

Hi guys, was at the tigers blues match and watched the curtain raiser, you guys have a future star in viney, never stops trying, clearance and cp machine, very exciting future talent.

Hi guys, was at the tigers blues match and watched the curtain raiser, you guys have a future star in viney, never stops trying, clearance and cp machine, very exciting future talent.

Cheers for the info Greggy. We currently wish he was running around in the red and blue right now, but 2013 will have to do!

We are going to seriously need some outside pace in the next couple of years.
Given we knew Viney was coming, you think we would have taken that into account last year.

Taggert has some toe, but Tynan (from what we've seen) is inside. And with our rookies, we went either tall or strong.

****ing Scully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back