Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard Mark Thompson say he was a fantastic on field leader but make you a senior coach it does not

Mark Harvey was a Leader and yet he wont ever get another senior coaching job, Probably the same with Michael Voss

Sure, I guess it's really quite hard to identify successful senior coaches - one thing I'm sure of is that if experience is an issue for Roosy then Ling won't be appointed.

Brisbane were a decent side last year then they imploded off field
I would be happy for Voss to coach us

Voss had five years at Brisbane and didn't achieve anything but occasional good performances with what was a relatively strong midfield the last couple of years.

And reports from David Parkin (Coaches Assoc Pres) that Voss was sacked because he didn't know how to set the direction of the club don't fill me with confidence.

Id rather Crazy Vossy than Ling...i seriously just can't stand how dumb he sounds on TV. Successful clubs mean **** all when coaching, the best (Clarko, Lyon and even Roos himself never won a premiership between them) so just because Mark Thompson gives a glowing assesment of Captain obvious Ling, doesnt mean he will amount to shit. The game is constantly evolving, this is why i want someone with some sort of coaching experience.

Voss had five years at Brisbane and didn't achieve anything but occasional good performances with what was a relatively strong midfield the last couple of years.

And reports from David Parkin (Coaches Assoc Pres) that Voss was sacked because he didn't know how to set the direction of the club don't fill me with confidence.

Yeah but Roos gets to teach him for 2 years on how to coach
Surely if your confident that Roos can teach Ling on the back of NO experience then surely someone like voss with 5 years experience doesnt need to be taught as much

Surely if your confident that Roos can teach Ling on the back of NO experience then surely someone like voss with 5 years experience doesnt need to be taught as much

I'm not saying we should get Ling, I'm saying that having them learn under Roosy for two years definitely opens the door to get someone with limited coaching experience if we think they're the best option - I don't think it will be Voss, personally I'd rather Ratten if we're looking at past coaches, he was legitimately unlucky.

Added to this, Voss no doubt learnt a lot of lessons himself of what he did well and what he completely ****ed up when he coached at Brisbane. I really think he coached brilliantly in his last year, and if it wasnt for Brisbane wanting to nab Roos from under us, he would still be coaching right now.

I honestly dont understand all the wanking over Ling, What makes him a better option than anyone? Because he talks well on Channel 7?

Please the guy has 0 experience

I would prefer someone that has been part of a winning culture, has football smarts and has learnt from a great coach. Ling is a blank canvas and spending two years under Roos would continue on from where Roos finishes.

In all honestly I wouldn't mind Kirk or Voss either, but what is to say that Ling won't be successful as a coach?

Voss and Ratten clearly the best of the sacked coaches but i still would love Stewie Dew if he is interested at the end of his contract, he was Roos' first choice as a successor. Looking at the success Roos has had with the other coaches he has brought to this club i think that is all the convincing i need that Dew is our man, if he wants it.

Voss and Ratten clearly the best of the sacked coaches but i still would love Stewie Dew if he is interested at the end of his contract, he was Roos' first choice as a successor. Looking at the success Roos has had with the other coaches he has brought to this club i think that is all the convincing i need the Dew is our man, if he wants it.

I have a sneaky feeling Sydney want Dewy to hang around 4-5 more years to be a part of another succession plan...

I have a sneaky feeling Sydney want Dewy to hang around 4-5 more years to be a part of another succession plan...

I agree, but if we continue to come on as we have this year and we offer him the job as early as 2015/16 there is only so much assisting he can do, surely. Now that we have shown improvement we all of a sudden look a lot sexier than we did at the start of this year.

Didn't they extend his contract last year to avoid him becoming the successor for us? I also vaguely remember Colless or someone from the Swans blowing up about Roos trying to poach all their coaching staff. Pretty sure they did all they could to keep him away from us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't they extend his contract last year to avoid him becoming the successor for us? I also vaguely remember Colless or someone from the Swans blowing up about Roos trying to poach all their coaching staff. Pretty sure they did all they could to keep him away from us.
They extended his contract until the end of 2015. He was on record saying that he really considered our offer but decided to stay in Sydney because of his wife's work up there but would be open to looking at all coaching opportunities at the end of his contract.

If Kirk ever gets the nod, he better be quoting Roos mantra & not the Dalai Lamas.

Half time they sing kumbaya to prep for the 2nd half.
Can you imagine Kirky being an assistant to Neeld.

Best good cop, bad cop routine in footy.

Yeh didn't they sign him for like, 3 years or something - after we tried to get him?

Dew, Voss and possibly Ratten are my preferred candidates currently.

Voss didn't have a long (if any?) apprentaship before he coached Brisbane. He would have learnt a lot from that and I heard the players loved him as a coach.

If he did 2 years under Roos, I reckon that would make him the best qualified candidate by a mile.

I get that your list was never as bad as the performances suggested it was but it doesn't make Roos any less a genius.

In one preseason and a month of the season he'd taken a dispirited, broken playing group instilled competitive desire and had basically already implemented a game plan which will keep you in almost any game.

To think that you've lost to GWS and St Kilda in the process. Should basically be in the top 8. Not looking forward to playing you guys at all. On form we're not going to deal well with your ability to defend the ground.

Yeh didn't they sign him for like, 3 years or something - after we tried to get him?

Dew, Voss and possibly Ratten are my preferred candidates currently.

Voss didn't have a long (if any?) apprentaship before he coached Brisbane. He would have learnt a lot from that and I heard the players loved him as a coach.

If he did 2 years under Roos, I reckon that would make him the best qualified candidate by a mile.
Surely by the same logic would Ratten not be the best qualified if he spent 2 years under Roos.
Did a short apprenticeship as midfield coach with us before taking the Carlton job, which in hindsight he did a pretty solid job at, then has spent time at one of the best clubs in the league under Alistair Clarkson.
Players at Carlton seemed to respond to him well.
If he was to spend a further 2 years under Paul Roos he would definitely be the best qualified of that lot.

People take shots at Kirk for his alternative beliefs but he was a great captain at Sydney. He was the one that pulled Nick Davis in during the final quarter of the 05 semi and commanded him to pay the team back.

He's a great leader and he's currently in his second year of assistant coaching at Fremantle. If he had a two year apprenticeship under Roos I'd be happy for him to take over.

Surely by the same logic would Ratten not be the best qualified if he spent 2 years under Roos.
Did a short apprenticeship as midfield coach with us before taking the Carlton job, which in hindsight he did a pretty solid job at, then has spent time at one of the best clubs in the league under Alistair Clarkson.
Players at Carlton seemed to respond to him well.
If he was to spend a further 2 years under Paul Roos he would definitely be the best qualified of that lot.

This is only my opinion, but I think Voss has more upside as a coach for us than Ratten does (should either spend 2 years under Roos).

Ratten is an excellent midfield strategist - but we have George Stone.

Voss is also a better leader, has more charisma and media profile, and would improve more than Ratten would with 2 years under Roos (because Voss currently has a more limited coaching experience).

Just my opinion (and bare in mind I like Ratten as an option) - but Voss would be very good for our club if given a 2 year apprenticeship under Roos.

This is only my opinion, but I think Voss has more upside as a coach for us than Ratten does (should either spend 2 years under Roos).

Ratten is an excellent midfield strategist - but we have George Stone.

Voss is also a better leader, has more charisma and media profile, and would improve more than Ratten would with 2 years under Roos (because Voss currently has a more limited coaching experience).

Just my opinion (and bare in mind I like Ratten as an option) - but Voss would be very good for our club if given a 2 year apprenticeship under Roos.

Obviously its your opinion so I wont argue to much but I agree that Voss would improve more
Because Ratten is already better than him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back