List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its okay to not have a bunch of picks in this draft. Its not a super draft just a standard one.

Not point replacing one young KPP with another young KPP.

We can sit this one out.

B-but what else can we do during the draft if we cannot whinge that our second round pick was some little-known Vic Country spud and not the board consensus WAFL talent?

Its okay to not have a bunch of picks in this draft. Its not a super draft just a standard one.

Not point replacing one young KPP with another young KPP.

We can sit this one out.

Roberston isnt a kpp. He is a high volume inside mid with leadership qualities. That is who I suggested we land with the pick for Brander due to having too many kp forwards.

Totally agree, you dont trade a young kp forward just to draft another unless rhey are demanding to leave.

Are the WA kids available in the 10-30 range any better then the kids we have now is what I am wondering.

I think people get too caught up in the draft hype. To me these prospects are no different from the last few year's prospects.
In the midfield, almost certainly yes, but I doubt it at either end of the field. Our u23 back and forward lines are very very good. Ruck looking ok with Williams developing (considering we have 4 ready-made rucks on our list, and rucks tend to develop a bit older).

But do you sacrifice the future at either end of the ground to potentially draft mids who are good enough. Absolutely not!

Plenty of potential trade targets, free agents or mids in future drafts, so very happy for us to get an elite mid in and be out of this draft and the early part of the next.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roberston isnt a kpp. He is a high volume inside mid with leadership qualities. That is who I suggested we land with the pick for Brander due to having too many kp forwards.

Totally agree, you dont trade a young kp forward just to draft another unless rhey are demanding to leave.

Is he much better then the mids we have in the seconds now?

Reading the draft profiles he seems to be your standard inside mid.
Strengths: Production, attack on the ball, contested ball winning, freakish reflexes on ground ball pickups, stoppage work, work rate, endurance, speed, agility, evasion, tackling, pressure around the ground, distribution by hand, moves the ball on quickly, courage, leadership on and off the field

Weaknesses: Scoreboard impact, ball use under pressure, unclear versatility

Worth giving up Brander for? To me no.

Yep, it takes some of the excitement out of draft night(s), and the googling of potential players prior, but being so late there is every chance we have to Google an unknown player or two afterwards!

The 2 priorities coming in to trade period were to keep our list together (including young and developing players who are no doubt being courted by other clubs) and to get TK. Both are now done so no need to insert ourselves into discussions and potentially stuff up the first part.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I understand that it is not rated as a superdraft like last year, but the year before we picked up brander, o allen, l Ryan and petrucelle (and Ainsworth...) in the first 37 picks, which ended up being a super draft for us. Added to that is that TK was in that draft and we now have him.

Saying that I would have gladly done the trade we have done this year to get TK, but I don’t think clubs can necessarily discount any draft year as they don’t always get it right.

Anyone else a massive fan of The Vozzo? Pick sprinkling aside, he just speaks and carries himself so well. And the club seems happy to use him as a spokesperson.

I didn't realise until now that he's a former lawyer/player agent and it makes a lot of sense. His handling of the Rioli schmozzle on such short notice was excellent. Comes across as someone with empathy and excellent interpersonal skills. EQ anyone?

Vozzo's definitely a keeper for mine. He'll make a great admin transition one day and I don't see reason for him departing. His family seems invested, they've been here for 10 years and are always in the rooms after the game, he'll stay.

As for Pyke, he'd be an asset for the club, but as CEO - no thank you. It's the figurehead roll at West Coast and as the old man says, 'Pyke-y is way too ******* weird'.

Keep him off Broadway and he'd be a great get for us.

What are people's thoughts on Chad Warner? Seems like someone who may slide to our first pick. Great accumulator and tackling machine. Only 179cm, but Cousins was only 178cm and could football.

I don’t know too much about the draft but I rate Robertson, Taylor, Henry, Jackson, Rivers and Sharp to a similar level as O Allen and Clark last year

I don’t know too much about the draft but I rate Robertson, Taylor, Henry, Jackson, Rivers and Sharp to a similar level as O Allen and Clark last year
I like Robertson and Rivers. I think Warner could be a bit like a Matt Crouch type. I was big on Crouch and his regular 30 + games, but because these types don't run like a gazelle they seem to get overlooked for more elite athletes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Lewis and he wouldn’t be out of place in any discussions @46 but he is one who could be still around with our latter pick .
Don’t mind Ralphsmith either while we are talking Sandy Dragons .

Louis Bulter looks a terrific prospect and at 46 would be value ( I rate Louis ahead of Pina ) Butlers decision making and close checking in defence were impressive at the Champs , where he played mostly in defence .
I understand Butler played some games on the wing at the Dragons.... your thoughts?
I think he has a heap of upside and he has a high footy IQ.

..... speaking of value where do you see Ryan Byrnes coming off the board ?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts of which of the Dragons boys finished the season out strongly post Champs.
Maginness, Chirgwin, Bergman and Byrnes all had great finishes to the season. McAnsey went the other way, he fell off a cliff but might have been carrying something. Yeah Louis pushed up onto a wing and started to get a fair bit of footy but wasn't as damaging as Bianco who pretty much did the same thing. But still good and definitely afl worthy, really like his versatility like you mentioned can lock down as a defender but also then find heaps of footy on a wing.

I always compare Ralphsmith with Bergman and much prefer Bergman, as think he could be a star. Just don't have same projection for RS.

I really like Byrnes, I'd have him 30 to 50 as I reckon some recruiters would really like him and others not at all. For the most part he's got good skills and nice kick but sometimes he can absolutely butcher a kick. But he finds heaps of footy and love his burst of speed, he's an impactful player. I'd rather Garcia at 46, but he'd be after that.
Otherwise Chirgwin had a huge end to the season and could be a good option, but skinny now but he's not soft and got good skills.

What is your thoughts on Mahony?

All those will be gone by pick 30 .
I’d fully expect them to be gone by then but I’d expect a few to slide to 10-30 odd which is great value for pick imo

Be the perfect year to have the Gold Coast hand again 13,21,26, 32

Venables IS NOT A HFF. Hes either a full time mid or hes out of the team.

Both Petch, Cameron, Waterman have shown more than Venables in his 22 games at HFF. Venables is terrible at HFF.
He did OK in the finals last year! Clearly it is better if he became a full time mid as he develops but he was actually recruited as a mid/forward and that could be handy rather than just another full time mid waiting on one of our other mids to fall over. As you say, (Both??) Petch, Cameron and Waterman have shown signs and all are different in style. Venables offers something a bit different again.
During his 18's year Venables was exclusively a forward (when he wasn't injured). Showed no tank to be considered a mid whatsoever. Since then his form has stayed true - injury , lack of performance , injury - no endurance. IMO never likely to be a midfielder and on evidence a bust selection..

Then why did you just float a trade scenario for Jarrod Brander?

To generate discussion.

Ok. Do you think Brander is untradeable?

Not hard to see him get frustrated with lack of opportunities if that continues.

He currently is a valuable young fringe player.

Lists that are contending often lose young fringe players. He ticks a few boxes.

From pictures he looks very skinny, would need to bulk up to play KPF or back ?
195cm and 92kg listed.
Compare it to Oscar Allen at 192cm and 87kg.
A lot to work with and I think he has the frame to work with.
Any way you look at it.... I think both could be anything.
Allen more versatile, but give Brander this season. I’m very bullish on him.

So as far as I see it our only deficiency is in KPD depth, even if Brander turns out to be a defender, I think we need one more.

Do we go with an 18yo or is there a 20-23yo in one of the state leagues we could pick up late?
I think it's probably behind midfield depth and getting a young ruckman to develop. Edwards is on the rookie list and looks a likely type, Rotham while more of a third tall type could pinch hit and the GOAT Allen could move back if needed. McGovern and Barrass have got years ahead of them, it's not a position of need imo. Shuey & Redden are both 30 next year and the midfield cupboard is almost completely bare in our WAFL team.

If Brander doesn't get game time this coming season he's a bust, you only have to look at others we've drafted who never got game time and got cut to see we know when they aren't good enough (except when it comes to DV he is cooked).

So as far as I see it our only deficiency is in KPD depth, even if Brander turns out to be a defender, I think we need one more.

Do we go with an 18yo or is there a 20-23yo in one of the state leagues we could pick up late?
Harry Edwards is being developed nicely. Let's just hope the squeeze at GWS with the re signing of Cameron and Whitfield pushes someone like Sam Taylor out. Contracted until the end of 2022, but by that time we might have some freed up $ with Kennedy, Jetta and possibly Hurn retiring.

If Brander doesn't get game time this coming season he's a bust, you only have to look at others we've drafted who never got game time and got cut to see we know when they aren't good enough (except when it comes to DV he is cooked).
The difference with Brander is that when you watch him the WAFL you can tell he's a quality player, who would you leave out of the forward line to play him in the AFL?

195cm and 92kg listed.
Compare it to Oscar Allen at 192cm and 87kg.
A lot to work with and I think he has the frame to work with.
Any way you look at it.... I think both could be anything.
Allen more versatile, but give Brander this season. I’m very bullish on him.

OA is much taller then 192, unless JD is more like 189cms.

In Brandner & OA we have 2 mobile, skilled 195cm players.

Not too many clubs can claim to have scored like this from one draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back