List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A common criticism/perception is that we’re soft in trade negotiations but go through the players we’ve traded in over the past decade and tell me which ones you wouldn’t do again in a heartbeat

Trades In :

Tim Kelly - Picks 14,24,33 and a future 1st with pick 52 and a future 3rd (Geelong) coming back

Tom Hickey - 39 for 61 and our future 4th for saints future 4th

Brendan Achee - our future 3rd with Hawthorns future 4th coming back to us

Sam Mitchell - Pick 88 and 52 for 54, 70 for 72
Nathan Vardy - Pick 72

Jack Redden - Pick 17
Lewis Jetta - Callum Sinclair
Jonathan Giles - Pick 57 for 62

Eliot Yeo - Pick 28

Sharrod Wellingham - Pick 18
Cale Morton - Pick 88
Jamie Cripps - Picks 40 and 43 for 45

Josh Hill - Pick 49

Kelly is quality and only time will tell if we gave up too much

Wellingham is the main one that stands out particularly since Collingwood drafted Grundy with that pick. However, with Naitanui, Cox and Lycett on our list at the time we were unlikely to pick him anyway and besides Grundy there’s not much of anything in later picks to say we missed a gun, or even a solid player. McIntosh at 31 probably the best of them

As for trading players out there isn’t much evidence

Traded Out :

Callum Sinclair - Lewis Jetta
Matt Rosa - Pick 31 (Tom Cole)

Koby Stevens - Pick 43 (Brant Colledge)
Lewis Stevenson - Pick 88 (Ontraded for Cale Morton)

Brad Ebert - Picks 28 (Fraser McInnes) and 49 for 45 (Ontraded for Josh Hill)

Free Agents

Scott Lycett (End of 1st round compensation - split into picks to draft Xavier O’Neill and Bailey Williams)

Scott Selwood (2nd Round compensation - used with existing 2nd rounder (36&37) for 23 - Luke Partington)

Quinten Lynch (3rd round compensation - Mark Hutchings)

Five players traded out, including Stevenson who was a likely delisting anyway, and 3 free agents lost in a decade is quite remarkable player retention. Other than us getting eberted by Port we did ok out of trades for Stevens, Rosa and Sinclair

Really it’s a myth that we don’t trade hard enough but our deals are more reflective of a club that identifies a player and then ensures it gets the trade done, usually with a minimum of fuss. The attempted trade for Kelly last year is the only time I can think of when we’ve failed to come to an agreement with another club
88 still massive overs for Cale Morton.

Well they lost their best player and Brownlow medalist who will return in 2020.

He'd instantly lift them into the 8 IMO. Hawthorn have a lot of upside despite still having an older team.

They're brilliantly coached and absolutely have some talent but they're not rebuilding and have an age profile that is all over the shot. They want to be in premiership mode and I can see them simply not having the depth on the field or across the list to compete with the top four or five clubs next year. By 2022 like Geelong and West Coast, Hawthorn will have lost too much talent to old age and fall out of the zone to win a flag. By then a bunch of their recruits will be too old to survive another mini rebuild of the list. This would be a different equation if they've drafted well with what limited picks they have but i see them getting stuck in the death zone with any potential flag being down to Clarkson's genius rather than pure list quality.

They've relied a lot on McEvoy, Smith, Puopolo, Stratton, Frawley, Burgoyne & Henderson.

Last edited:

Not Acres idea to harvest here , he has been thrown up late to help poor B Hill to his third club .

Losing Hill and Langdon for Acres and Menadue leads to:

Fyfe is 29 next year and Mundy should already be playing masters over 40s

Freos potential starting mid in a couple years
C. Menedue Conca Acres
Foll. Darcy Brayshaw Tucker
Coach. Tony Galati

Christ that is bad.

Big fan of Freo going the North Melbourne ‘quantity over quality’ all vanilla approach to list building.

Get in as many big bodied grunts ti do the heavy lifting, carving space and paving the way for all of the....other big bodied grunts to get the ball in space??

images-34.jpg

Peter Bell proudly showing off his new pickings this trade period.

Ummm .......... is it just me ...... but...... I cant seem to see any feathers in his cap.

I think Menadue can be a decent player. Liked him in his draft year. Good swervability. He’s a downgrade on Hill but given what they’re getting in return for Hill he will fill the void just fine

I really rate Acres think his upside is massive

I reckon he will be the one we look back and say he's what made the eventual trade a definitive win for freo.
Not so sure about that. Has been overhyped for years by Saints supporters but never really delivered in a side with ample opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Menadue can be a decent player. Liked him in his draft year. Good swervability. He’s a downgrade on Hill but given what they’re getting in return for Hill he will fill the void just fine
Menadue has the problem of not fitting into the richmond game plan of high pressure contested scrag .

If longmuir plays the collingwood quick transition over the back game plan then menadue will fit right in like a stephenson or hoskin-elliot. Menadue did win the GF sprint .

Acres wouldn't be in our best 22 for a couple of years. We dont need anymore B/C graders .
I do belive acres has some improvement and plays a lot better when given on ball time but due to the saints having so many inside mids he is relegated to a wing or a flank .

I really feel that freo have done well in getting all of acres 24 , aish 23 and menedue 23 in for cheap . All of them will make their best 22 better and add skill that they really lacked under RTB .

They are good players to have whilst their younger players brayshaw , cerra , sturt, carter , valente , henry and probably 3 more good draftees this year get games under their belt.

All 3 of them should be in that 26-27 age bracket when they next contend .

That's actually amazing we've lost so few players.

Some clubs (GC, GWS, Freo, Adelaide) have lost the same amount of players in 1 trade period!
Off the top of my head since the turn of the decade
Lynch FA: was on the outer anyways
Scooter: cooked ankle
Sinkers: bait for Jetta massive win
Rosa: bloody awesome to get anything for him.
Lycett: bit bummed at this but smart list decision pick split to XoN and Williams will look back at this in future and wonder how we did it
Ebert: Can GAGF deserved more than 28 or what it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back