Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Private rentals are not efficient by any means. The various tax breaks which we all pay for. Prop it up in many areas.

Your commentary seems to be based on private is always more efficient rhetoric. In a lot of this market, it isn’t
Tax breaks that incentivise private investment can have multipliers that result in better use of capital than if the government invested that money fully itself.

Surprised this is an issue that doesn't get talked about more - it's expensive to live in the outer suburbs when public transport is not there and car ownership is baked in.

Not sure about Sydney but Melbourne is particularly backwards in how population is spread out when compared to a lot of metropoles in Europe. It's the main reason why I support the SRL even though I've got a few issues with the way it was conceived.

Nowhere in Europe is there a country that has all its population in a few cities like Australia does.

Of course we should encourage public transport. And I think we (as in governments) should continue to fund it even if it makes a loss every year. The benefits are immeasurable.

But it is fraught with danger to compare it with entirely different contexts in say Europe or Japan. We should compare ourselves more to say the US outside of New York (less density, a culture built around cars, more space available) and in that respect we're doing more than okay. It's one thing I think Australia as a whole is doing well in even if the Melburnians get in an endless debate about the suburban rail loop or whatever.

Of course we should encourage public transport. And I think we (as in governments) should continue to fund it even if it makes a loss every year. The benefits are immeasurable.

But it is fraught with danger to compare it with entirely different contexts in say Europe or Japan. We should compare ourselves more to say the US outside of New York (less density, a culture built around cars, more space available) and in that respect we're doing more than okay. It's one thing I think Australia as a whole is doing well in even if the Melburnians get in an endless debate about the suburban rail loop or whatever.

We should make it really easy to get off the freeway and onto a train.
Instead we drive right past stations that would take 20 minutes to drive to.
If we got in there, parking would probably be hard to find.

We need big , proper carparks at stations, pay a little extra on your myki to park.

We need big , proper carparks at stations, pay a little extra on your myki to park.

We have that set up in Perth for our two busiest train lines.

They should think about active transport while they are redesigning the SRL precincts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, I get where Gralin is coming from (to a point) but he's all or nothing and it's frigging frustrating. It's always black or white
with him but that is not how the world is.

If we don't have a private market for things, including housing (supplemented of course by more social housing) then we will become Red China in no time at all. They call me "Chairman" at work...but I have nothing on old mate.
Perhaps that's what our resident super mod wants.

A lot of uninformed commentary about the private property market and the role it plays in the housing market generally - particularly in the rental market. And making references to the public housing policies that are now more than 50 years old and part of immigration and industry attraction policies, started by state governments after WW2 is less than useful.

The 21st century housing crisis is a global issue that did not start two years ago but has been building for well over a decade.

This week's UK based Guardian magazine had a feature article which started with this paragraph:

'Spiralling rents and sky-high property prices risk becoming a key battleground of European politics as far-right and populist parties start to exploit growing public anger over the continent's housing crisis, experts have said'

Sound familiar?

But back to Australia.

You could build a decent sized residential estate from the public money spent on all the expert analyses and reports to tell us what needs to be done in a public policy sense to start changing the out of control dynamics of our housing market. So it's not as if the answer isn't known, at least by the people who know wtf they're talking about.

The issue is of course, governments at all levels just tinkering at the edges. Too afraid to do anything that comes close to turning the Titanic-like course of the housing market spiral around. Because of the political consequences of voters accepting the crap stories they hear and read in the mainstream media and see repeated in social media platforms Everyone yelling about governments 'doing nothing' while at the same time wanting nothing to be done that remotely risks changing anything for themselves.

I honestly can't see change happening on the scale needed in the current political environment. The people who are hurting the most don't have the political power needed to affect the required change in political attitudes.....yet.

Last edited:
correct

incorrect

I also find that the people being in charge of legislation around home ownership and investments also being a group with one of the highest representation of property investors to be a bad thing

to fix the problem they have to legislate against their own self interests
I like the bit where they buy houses in Canberra in their partners name and use their living away from home allowance to pay it off. That's so reasonable and not at all a rort.

Can't see Albanese or Dutton even wanting to try a public campaign around the need for tax reform like this one btw:

Like him or not this is brilliant marketing. Comprehensive explanation of policy decisions. Almost a PowerPoint presentation. Targeted straight to the ones out there who do not know how this sort of stuff works which a vast majority of any electorate do not.

Like him or not this is brilliant marketing. Comprehensive explanation of policy decisions. Almost a PowerPoint presentation. Targeted straight to the ones out there who do not know how this sort of stuff works which a vast majority of any electorate do not.
The only question is, will the people that need to see it watch it all the way through or will they only see the headlines online and in newspapers. It was a good video with a good tagline, will be interesting to see if it does him any political damage.

A lot of uninformed commentary about the private property market and the role it plays in the housing market generally - particularly in the rental market. And making references to the public housing policies that are now more than 50 years old and part of immigration and industry attraction policies, started by state governments after WW2 is less than useful.

The 21st century housing crisis is a global issue that did not start two years ago but has been building for well over a decade.

This week's UK based Guardian magazine had a feature article which started with this paragraph:

'Spiralling rents and sky-high property prices risk becoming a key battleground of European politics as far-right and populist parties start to exploit growing public anger over the continent's housing crisis, experts have said'

Sound familiar?

But back to Australia.

You could build a decent sized residential estate from the public money spent on all the expert analyses and reports to tell us what needs to be done in a public policy sense to start changing the out of control dynamics of our housing market. So it's not as if the answer isn't known, at least by the people who know wtf they're talking about.

The issue is of course, governments at all levels just tinkering at the edges. Too afraid to do anything that comes close to turning the Titanic-like course of the housing market spiral around. Because of the political consequences of voters accepting the crap stories they hear and read in the mainstream media and see repeated in social media platforms Everyone yelling about governments 'doing nothing' while at the same time wanting nothing to be done that remotely risks changing anything for themselves.

I honestly can't see change happening on the scale needed in the current political environment. The people who are hurting the most don't have the political power needed to affect the required change in political attitudes.....yet.

Social housing will never work.

Why?

Because of the economic housing Ponzi scheme we are all in.

Unless we change how our banking system works, and how money is created by increasing debt, until then, everything else is just noise.

That simple?
Poors to the outer suburbs?
What if they can't rent there either?
I live 40kms from the city and there are literally 4 places for rent for under $500 pw anywhere around here

There are also lots of rentals for more than $500 / week. So you pay $600 per week and sacrifice elsewhere. It's all about choices. Same for mortgage holders. If you want a huge mortgage and rates go up, you need to sacrifice elsewhere.

There are also lots of rentals for more than $500 / week. So you pay $600 per week and sacrifice elsewhere. It's all about choices. Same for mortgage holders. If you want a huge mortgage and rates go up, you need to sacrifice elsewhere.
This sounds a bit like Tony Abbott what the housewives of Australia need to understand while they do the ironing style economics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back