Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

In my experience the patrons of the ferry are the cleanest and most polite.

I suggest turning our capital cities into a grid of canals.

They run a Ferry from Geelong to Docklands. Takes 2 hours , which is probably not bad at peak times. Much more relaxing anyway.

Maybe they could start ferry services from Point Cook or Werribee.

They run a Ferry from Geelong to Docklands. Takes 2 hours , which is probably not bad at peak times. Much more relaxing anyway.

It's been thought of but would be useless. The issue is once you get to the West Gate it's a 5 knot speed limit and the cargo ships have right of way.

Inner city freeways are done for the moment anyway, the only major new project that hasn't already been started is the Torrens to Darlington tunnel section in Adelaide. North East Link will be the last for a while in Melbourne (arguably doesn't even go near the inner city but seems like they'll shoehorn some Eastern Freeway upgrades in to the "tertiary" packages), Sydney won't do another one for a long while after Western Harbour Tunnel. Too expensive to build, not enough space to build them in.

Might be time to print off a timetable.

Golden grove. Its been a worse week than usual but definitely noticeable. Buses are rammed on obahn in peak hour so it will always suck

I catch the 501 but I make sure I get on at 7am to avoid the rush, because f*** that! Get on before the rush going home too.

I’ve never understood why this isn’t attacked. Why can’t we make a simple short term rental tax that severely disincentivises this option? Have the proceeds reinvested into affordable housing.

I’m an accountant and a huge amount of property investors have made the decision to remove their properties from the long term rental market due to higher returns.

We have a housing supply issue and we have perfectly liveable homes taken off the market for pure investment decisions.

Yep… ban Airbnbs until the housing supply catches up

The Docklands to Portarlington ferry is a lovely day trip for anyone looking for a day out.

Probably doesn't work so well as a regular commute option though

The issue though is that in addition to fueling the housing market we are then burdening first homebuyers with extra debt to their super funds. Debt that is not generating any sort of return until it is repaid.

It's a terrible and poorly conceived idea. It has no upside that I can see at all.
The Liberal Party has long been suspicious of superannuation

The issue though is that in addition to fueling the housing market we are then burdening first homebuyers with extra debt to their super funds. Debt that is not generating any sort of return until it is repaid.

It's a terrible and poorly conceived idea. It has no upside that I can see at all.

How will it add fuel to housing market???
Under my scheme They would have the same net debt!!! But instead of repaying the banks with interest they would be repaying themselves.
The LNP wants to erode Super… my suggestion does t do that.
Banks would hate my scheme too…
because it basically destroys the banking industry.
Imagine we could all borrow from our super..
Need a battery for the house?
Borrow from your super account plus interest…
Need a new ev car? Borrow from your super plus interest..

How will it add fuel to housing market???
Under my scheme They would have the same net debt!!! But instead of repaying the banks with interest they would be repaying themselves.
The LNP wants to erode Super… my suggestion does t do that.
Banks would hate my scheme too…
because it basically destroys the banking industry.
Imagine we could all borrow from our super..
Need a battery for the house?
Borrow from your super account plus interest…
Need a new ev car? Borrow from your super plus interest..
But then you won't have anything left for retirement and the state has to pay for your pension

But then you won't have anything left for retirement and the state has to pay for your pension

Hah????? They would have to repay it all plus the interest!!!!!

50,000 at 7% interest over 30 years would be 130,000 principle and interest going into the super.
$332 a month into super.

Basically your super becomes your bank.

The only loser is the Banks!!! So it will never happen.

Hah????? They would have to repay it all plus the interest!!!!!

50,000 at 7% interest over 30 years would be 130,000 principle and interest going into the super.
$332 a month into super.

Basically your super becomes your bank.

The only loser is the Banks!!! So it will never happen.
And invariably when they don't repay it?
What's happens then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Docklands to Portarlington ferry is a lovely day trip for anyone looking for a day out.

Probably doesn't work so well as a regular commute option though
I lived near Port Arlington and worked in the city for a few years By the time, you drove to the Port, caught the ferry then public transport to work you added at least 90 minutes a day and spent a lot more money than if you drove. Of course the easier solution would be for the government agency to have left jobs in the west isntead of moving them all into the cbd despite promises to the contrary

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It sounds like you are saying there is no point in trying to stop rorting as it will always happen anyway so we shouldn't bother to close loopholes and that people who would like more probity & accountability from elected representatives are haters?

Strange attitude. Do you have skin in the game? I can't think why any normal taxpayer would think like this.

If the taxpayer's money card is played, surely quantum is the most important thing, and there are MUCH larger wastes of taxpayers money. Changing this loophole wouldn't save the taxpayer a cent - you'd have to reduce the allowance for being away from home to do that.

I have a reflexive response to pollie-hating. I find it is the same as a lot of bigotry around the place - fuelled by the lack of contact with those you hate.

I could understand the "make 'em stay in hotels" because that will stimulate the hotel industry economy. But you'd have to reduce the allowance or come up with another solution to actually save taxpayer's money.

If the taxpayer's money card is played, surely quantum is the most important thing, and there are MUCH larger wastes of taxpayers money. Changing this loophole wouldn't save the taxpayer a cent - you'd have to reduce the allowance for being away from home to do that.

I have a reflexive response to pollie-hating. I find it is the same as a lot of bigotry around the place - fuelled by the lack of contact with those you hate.

I could understand the "make 'em stay in hotels" because that will stimulate the hotel industry economy. But you'd have to reduce the allowance or come up with another solution to actually save taxpayer's money.

People are living in tents, and you think politicians should have a generous taxpayer funded allowance for their second house?

What examples of bigotry are you comparing dislike of politicians to?

I have a reflexive response to corruption. It’s simple. If you own a house in Canberra you don’t need living expenses. Putting it in someone else’s name is a rort.

As for bigotry, if anyone could show me a politician who is working in the public interest without feathering their own nest then great. Unfortunately it seems from local councils upwards the only people who are attracted to & sufficiently thick skinned for the system we’ve created are either utterly self entitled & venal like Joyce, Taylor etc or sociopathic like Scomo.

Unfortunately it’s the old axiom- anyone who wants to be in charge should, by definition be ineligible.

I read the community newspapers & just about every local council in Perth now is populated by property developers & their enablers.

With housing being such a huge issue currently the Canberra investment property rort is symptomatic of everything wrong with the system.

its the solution

its been known to be the solution for years

the research has been done

you need more bus routes

that are more direct

smaller buses

more frequent and reliable service that you can track from your phone or that has the live times at the stop like trains do

if people have cheap reasonable alternatives to driving everywhere they will take advantage of them

not to mention that benefit to people that can't drive everywhere who are currently largely ignored by PT planning
Other cities overseas do this. London even with its enviable underground and increasingly impressive overground has also created a small commuter bus system for outer suburbs to easily access the near train point.

And they are now almost entirely electric vehicles

Last edited:
Other cities overseas do this. London even with its enviable underground and increasingly impressive overground has also created a small commuter bus system for outer super s to easily access the near train point.

And they are now almost entirely electric vehicles
Yep electric buses are really common overseas
Have been for years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back