Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling to see what Albo has done wrong here...in a private citizen sense. He's shown compassion to his tenants by keeping rents at much lower than market value. He now wants to sell the property and has given the tenants 90 days' notice. I wonder whether the tenants would have run to the media with it had they been paying market value over the past 4 years. I suspect they feel jilted in part because the relatively sweet deal they are on is about to expire.

I get that 90 days' notice is not long in this heated rental market, but I am struggling to understand (if I remove the notion that he is the PM) what Albo has done wrong.

It's not right, wrong or otherwise, it just is.

Like I said, it's an occupational hazard of being a landlord that in the course of conducting your affairs that you'll upset your tenants if you kick them out of their homes, and that if you're a public person, it will be made public.

It's a 24 hour story. If he were upset about it he could console himself with a bag of money.

There is no such thing as cost of living relief. Every measure makes the issue worse long term.
If you take money out of the wealthier end and redistribute it to the bottom then it's not inflationary right?

What's the long term issue? Currency devaluation has made the working class poorer. Hence asset and cost of living increase, throw in some supply side issues. This has never been demand driven inflation

Or we just laissez-faire it and let the povs die

The Murdoch sob story on the coming eviction of Albo’s tenant got the expected outrage response from the usual suspects last week. Got some coverage in MediaWatch tonight:

Also covered was the disgraceful gaoling of ADF Whistleblower David McBride despite the govt saying it would protect whistleblowers when in opposition:

I think a lot of bigots would not be so if they had more contact with different groups at an earlier age.

Acting like elected officials are a different species to the rest of the population isn't nearly as dangerous or consequential as the types of bigotry you described. But most people I encounter who have strong negative opinions about elected officials don't know any.
Pretty hard to live life without encountering groups that suffer from actual bigotry these days yet still an enormous amount of bigots are in existence. Contact has not much to do with it. Plenty of homophobes have gay family members or are gay themselves secretly. I still remember that Louie Theroux episode where the KKK grand dragons best friend was black.

Largely bigotry is around because certain people in positions of power use it as a means to further there own power and wealth by exploiting fear in stupid people.

And that is why I hate certain politicians (not all). Not because I have not met them. I don't need to meet Dutton, Hansen etc to know that they are intentionally hurting minorities for their own political gain. I see them doing it on the news all the time and to equate these scumbags who choose to use bigotry as a weapon for their own means with the victims of their behaviour is bloody poor form imo.

It's not right, wrong or otherwise, it just is.

Like I said, it's an occupational hazard of being a landlord that in the course of conducting your affairs that you'll upset your tenants if you kick them out of their homes, and that if you're a public person, it will be made public.

It's a 24 hour story. If he were upset about it he could console himself with a bag of money.
From the minor snippets i saw of the tenant in the media he wasnt actually having a go at Albo but more broadly saying hes probably ****ed trying to find a house now.

Like i get how it got spun into evil money hoarding Albo (rightly or wrongly) but i didnt actually see the tenant himself do that.

Liberal or Labour the country will still see the same garbage

People wonder why there is f all done on the housing crisis? Because most politicians own bulk property, have a good wage and this demand only helps them.
The other reason is so many people are up to their eyeballs in debt, nobody will cop policies which bring the real prices down.

They will absolutely support handouts or loosening regulations so there can be more borrowing.

Liberal or Labour the country will still see the same garbage

People wonder why there is f all done on the housing crisis? Because most politicians own bulk property, have a good wage and this demand only helps them.
People still cheerlead their favourite team though. Until that dies completely, don't expect any significant change. In fact, nothing will change in our lifetime anyway so just look after yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People still cheerlead their favourite team though. Until that dies completely, don't expect any significant change. In fact, nothing will change in our lifetime anyway so just look after yourself
To get high enough up in politics to make change you need to join their club.

Unless we saw a full scale revolution it'll be the same crap.

The other reason is so many people are up to their eyeballs in debt, nobody will cop policies which bring the real prices down.

They will absolutely support handouts or loosening regulations so there can be more borrowing.

There was a headline for the HUN today, ( i don't subscribe so i don't know the whole thing ).
Something about land taxes forcing hard working landlords ( got to be the easiest job ever if using a property manager) to sell their property.

Well duh..
If you want to drive prices down, you need to force somebody to do something they don't like.
There are a hell of a lot of Landlords have owned property for a LONG time, and were not affected overly by rate hikes.

There was a headline for the HUN today, ( i don't subscribe so i don't know the whole thing ).
Something about land taxes forcing hard working landlords ( got to be the easiest job ever if using a property manager) to sell their property.

Well duh..
If you want to drive prices down, you need to force somebody to do something they don't like.
There are a hell of a lot of Landlords have owned property for a LONG time, and were not affected overly by rate hikes.
A hefty vacancy tax is required. Coastal holiday homes exempt as they hardly solve any 'housing crisis'.

And ban foreign ownership.

Well duh..
I don't think landlords having a sook is quite going to resonate with the electorate.

But not a majority.
no not a majority if its just landlords that agree with it

but then you add in realestate agents and property developers and the "aspirational" and its possible it gets closer

Not sure being a landlord would be quite as easy as what most people would think..

Personally I'd prefer other ways to invest capital.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back