Anthony Albanese - How long?

How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our PM gets paid more than Joe Biden

our politicians are among the highest paid in the world already just in salaries before we even get into the perks

they get a pay rise, it kids in within 4 days of being announced and is back dated to the start of the financial year

meanwhile the increase they announced in May as part of the budget for welfare recipients hasn't happened yet and won't be backdated when it does start next month

it does, in that by having no GST on food it was an attempt to reduce the impact on poor people
and then I conjecture that trying to define food vs takeaway (and all the compliance costs/ crap) whether it would be simpler/ more efficient and fairer to have a flat GST on everything (+ excises on the usual sin stuff) and then give low income earners (including jobseeker/ pension) a rebate
taxing the rich should be done by directly targeting and taxing the rich

not taxing everyone and then giving some people money back that are below a threshold

taxing the rich should be done by directly targeting and taxing the rich

not taxing everyone and then giving some people money back that are below a threshold
i don't believe that there is a world where you can get to pay no tax because you are poor/ low income
you get taxed, then you get more in rebates and services than what you pay
while high income earners pay more in tax than they (should get) in rebates and services

one of the problems among many is the high wealth low income group/ low taxable income group (yes its you superannuation recipients I am looking at here). I haven't heard a wealth tax proposal come out of either major party, wonder why...

(I have heard some proposals on bigfooty by Power Raid which look promising)

i don't believe that there is a world where you can get to pay no tax because you are poor/ low income
not while we have capitalism as the norm
you get taxed, then you get more in rebates and services than what you pay

while high income earners pay more in tax than they (should get) in rebates and services

one of the problems among many is the high wealth low income group/ low taxable income group (yes its you superannuation recipients I am looking at here). I haven't heard a wealth tax proposal come out of either major party, wonder why...

(I have heard some proposals on bigfooty by Power Raid which look promising)
so many systems we have cost more to implement than they generate/save because the optics is more important than the reality
a basic UBI that everyone gets no matter what and a progressive tax system for income earned
an estate tax and a wealth tax
making corporations actually pay their bills

there is so much that could be done that isn't raise the GST to generate more income for the govnerment or - create new tax for this product instead of regulate the industry etc

not while we have capitalism as the norm

so many systems we have cost more to implement than they generate/save because the optics is more important than the reality
a basic UBI that everyone gets no matter what and a progressive tax system for income earned
an estate tax and a wealth tax
making corporations actually pay their bills

there is so much that could be done that isn't raise the GST to generate more income for the govnerment or - create new tax for this product instead of regulate the industry etc
I do not believe that there is enough money to do this, and your refutation of the use of taxation to do this is plainly fairytale thinking.

I do not believe that there is enough money to do this, and your refutation of the use of taxation to do this is plainly fairytale thinking.
way off base here
I said raising GST isn't the answer to government revenue issues, not that taxation isn't

currently our tax system is becoming more regressive, they're flatting out income brackets, reducing corporate tax, its all going to a flat system where the rich be they individual or company don't pay their share

at the same time, tax concessions and funding is also disproportionately going to the well off, and the gap is increasing

the mantra that w can't afford to do x always comes out when someone suggests doing something about lessening the inequality

when the opportunity to do the opposite arises, the money is always there in the budget someone

we absolutely can afford to do things like lift welfare payments to the poverty line, billions in welfare spending could be saved literally by removing mutual obligations and getting rid of job agencies who exist primarily to funnel tax payer money into their own coffers and not help people find work

real tax reform would require our politicians to not be owned by special interests though, you and I can vote and write letters

they just pay directly to get what they want

it's much more successful and its why Australia is becoming one of the most unequal wealthy countries in the world

every time you say there isn't enough money to fix it, you're making their argument for them

everytime you push regressive taxes as the answer, you're adding to the problem

I know you are against stage 3 tax cuts, so I know you understand the benefits of a progressive income tax system

Sin taxes are generally a good thing.
they are generally perceived as a good thing but that doesn't mean they actually are or that they work

when you're dealing with addiction increasing the prices doesn't fix the problem of addiction, it does increase the risk of someone breaking the law to feed that addiction though

black markets thrive because of addiction + sin tax

also the way they are applied means that they are generally regressive

if you have a flat fine for doing something illegal like parking then what you're doing is saying its only really illegal if you can't afford the fine

for poor people this can mean a mistake causes them massive problem where as a rich person won't care

sin taxes don't generally take income into consideration so they are only a barrier to some

there's also the argument that the increased revenue they generate are a disincentive for reforms that would remove the product from the market in the long term

why would governments get rid of something they profit off

Labor’s advertising guru Dee Madigan gave an advice session at ALP conference on how to beat the Greens.

No link as the article is no longer on-line.

'The Labor Party is privately very concerned about the threat of the Greens, who are already campaigning in ALP heartland seats ahead of the next election about the shortage of rental properties for young millennial voters.
Diary understands that Labor is worried enough about the Greens to deploy Dee Madigan ..... arguably the mastermind behind Labor’s successful ad campaign that helped sweep Anthony Albanese to power in the 2022 election – to devise strategies to neutralise the Greens threat ahead of the 2025 poll.'

'Joking that Labor had once referred to some Greens as “Tree Tories”, Madigan identified plenty of ways in which Labor has gone wrong in the past against the Greens threat.'

Madigan also mounted a strong case to avoid tackling the Adam Bandt-led party on social media – where they are seen to be strong players – by instead having Labor establish a strong physical presence on the ground.'

“I think that attending local functions and being in person is so important, because social media – as fantastic as it is – can give people a sense that they’re having a conversation with people that they’re actually not: talking in their own little bubble and getting excited about all the likes and shares,” Madigan said. “But the people liking and sharing weren’t voting for them – they were just wasting their time.”

Based on the chat, watching Madigan’s anti-Greens ad strategy for Labor unfold as the 2025 election nears will be fascinating.'
Orrrrr, here’s another thought, Labor - maybe stop giving free kicks to the Greens over housing by putting up a joke of a policy and attempting to gaslight the entire nation that it’s not mammaries-on-bull useless and that it’s the Greens that are being unreasonable.

Orrrrr, here’s another thought, Labor - maybe stop giving free kicks to the Greens over housing by putting up a joke of a policy and attempting to gaslight the entire nation that it’s not mammaries-on-bull useless and that it’s the Greens that are being unreasonable.

Dee Madigan isnt being employed to address policy, its to sell policy, & she is capable of doing it dispassionately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they are generally perceived as a good thing but that doesn't mean they actually are or that they work

when you're dealing with addiction increasing the prices doesn't fix the problem of addiction, it does increase the risk of someone breaking the law to feed that addiction though

if you have a flat fine for doing something illegal like parking then what you're doing is saying its only really illegal if you can't afford the fine

for poor people this can mean a mistake causes them massive problem where as a rich person won't care

sin taxes don't generally take income into consideration so they are only a barrier to some

there's also the argument that the increased revenue they generate are a disincentive for reforms that would remove the product from the market in the long term

No policy is going to be all things to all people and it goes without saying that sin taxes should be part of a suite of solutions, not the only solution. But one only needs to look at cigarette taxation in Australia to know that it can work effectively. Now, that doesn't mean there's not some poor Joe who can't or won't give up who is going without other things to buy cigarettes. On the other hand, there are some who were wasting money on cigarettes who gave up and now have more money in their pocket as a result, all the while costing our health services less in the future. Yeas, it's a regressive tax, but there's a reason they are nicknamed sin taxes: they are trying to discourage people from using products they absolutely should be discouraged from using.

He's not even half decent.
He's a career politician owned by special interest groups.

The myth we need to pay them more to do better for us, yeah funny how that argument doesn't fly for say teachers or nurses or child care workers or aged csre workers or literally anyone that isn't in tbe 1%

Its not that you pay him more and he'll do better. He is what he is, its the people who try to get the job.

Its not that you pay him more and he'll do better. He is what he is, its the people who try to get the job.
Correct. A pragmatist, watching his own back, as are pretty much all our pollies. The type of leader some in here want would be totally unelectable.

Dee Madigan isnt being employed to address policy, its to sell policy, & she is capable of doing it dispassionately.
The criticism isn’t of dee; that’s her job(paid very well to do) the criticism is of alp choosing s**t policy trying to buff it with spin instead of good policy that makes the wealthy cry.

Some sin taxes need their own organisation to impose. Sooner or later that organisation needs to have KPI and the amount of ‘discovered’ sin rises

It's real. Bloke I knew years ago said he loves speed cameras because if he was late for a meeting he could just speed and pay the fine later rather than being pulled over for a written ticket.

It's real. Bloke I knew years ago said he loves speed cameras because if he was late for a meeting he could just speed and pay the fine later rather than being pulled over for a written ticket.
It's been said for a while that speeding fines and whatnot are a tax on speeding rather than a law against it.

If you're wealthy enough, you're not losing your licence and/or losing your licence affects you significantly less than if you genuinely need your car for insecure or lowpaid work. You can't afford the fines, you can't afford a lawyer to attempt to argue against losing your licence, and you can't not have your car.

Our PM gets paid more than Joe Biden

our politicians are among the highest paid in the world already just in salaries before we even get into the perks

they get a pay rise, it kids in within 4 days of being announced and is back dated to the start of the financial year

meanwhile the increase they announced in May as part of the budget for welfare recipients hasn't happened yet and won't be backdated when it does start next month

Is that why President in the USA is a hobby for rich old men?

The criticism isn’t of dee; that’s her job(paid very well to do) the criticism is of alp choosing s**t policy trying to buff it with spin instead of good policy that makes the wealthy cry.
I've never read anything about the money side of her work - the best deserve to be rewarded.

As for ALP policy a 2nd term is a clear aim imho, & that has little (nothing?) to do with policy & those voters pondering Greens over Labor. They are the target market for Ms Madigan.

edit: i saw this article in the Fin Review & thought of you (yep, I need a life)
'This intensifying squeeze on low- and middle-income household budgets casts a shadow over the Albanese government’s commitment to $20 billion-a-year stage three tax cuts, which are already legislated and are slated to take effect from next July.'

Last edited:
Here in South Australia, people could avoid accruing demerit points by having their car registered under a company's name. To its credit, the Marshall Liberal government closed that loophole a few years ago by imposing a much, much larger fine when a corporate-owned car commits an offence and a driver doesn't get nominated.

The rich and powrful have always had ways of living by different rules to the rest of us. This extends to buying favourable government policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back