Anyone else shattered for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong I'm over the moon to see the dogs get through but I'm shattered for GWS for a number of reasons.

1. I feel they have been the best side all year.

2. They have been bashed pillar to post by non supporters.

3. Could have had an all Syd GF

4. Could potentially grow the game in western Sydney more if they had won the premiership.

5. Their members have been through 5 years of hell.

6. They have been unfairly painted as the 'evil' guys

Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:

1) Nah - they were only 4th best before finals. Don't really feel they were definitively the best.
2) Well its the AFL's fault.
3) Yay battle of COLA - happy to avoid that.
4) Even when they have tons of success Sydney probably still won't care. Just like with Brisbane now.
5) A lot of it was self inflicted. Could have easily had a more competitive side in the early days. They were just greedy for their long term strategy. Also does it even count as hell to watch an uber talented young team develop in front of your eyes?
6) See point 2)

tldr: no

You missed

7. Had umpires been neutral GWS would've won
McLean easily > Glen Jakovich in terms of playing ability so whether he ducks or not is neither here nor there.

Followed them closely since inception , kind of a defacto 2nd team for me , gutted for them.
What a ride they took their fans on this year though !!!
But as i said elsewhere they'll be savage next year now they have something to make up for.

As for all the hate , badge of honour , means they've arrived.

Nope-Meme-04.jpg

Don't get me wrong I'm over the moon to see the dogs get through but I'm shattered for GWS for a number of reasons.

4. Could potentially grow the game in western Sydney more if they had won the premiership.

Not really.
I feel a bit for Steve Johnson suspended and missing the final and season over but given was his own fault and tasted premiership success it is not the worst rub of the green.
Also most of their players will get other chances to play in grand finals.
Feeling a bit of finals pain before going to another level in other seasons won't do their club too much harm.
Might even add some character to king head wobbler Toby Greene to taste defeat before victory for a season.
Overall good character building stuff for relatively new club starting up from scratch.

In a word, "no".

I look at the time and expense the thousands of Footscray supporters spent getting to Sydney. Even the great story of Beveridge buying breakfast for them in Albury. There isn't a snowflakes chance in hell that the GWS supporters would have done the same had the final been in Melbourne. A hundred maybe. Perhaps 200 at a pinch, but nowhere near the number of Dogs fans.

That's not so much a dig at GWS supporters, as the main reason I don't care in the slightest their team lost. The Dogs deserve a GF spot for being so passionate and loyal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't hate the Giants like some people do but I wanted the Dogs to win. GWS will have their day in the sun.

No. * em. I actually want them to succeed, because it's good for footy in NSW. But the team they have on the park right now is full of arrogant, sniping pricks. It's a competitive culture, but it's shitty and I don't like seeing it rewarded.

Let them learn some humility first. When your first taste of success leaves you acting like your kings of the ******* castle you need to be taken down a peg or two.

I hope they struggle for the next couple of years before coming back stronger and with more substance.

Yeah, I am shattered they'll have to wait 6 years for that elusive premiership instead of 5. Those poor, long-suffering supporters

P.S.
Gotta give a shoutout to any Dogs fans who attended tonight.
My 9 yr old nephew was there and apparently was bawling his eyes out , sister said a few dogs fans patted him on the back and told him to be proud of his club :thumbsu:

This probably isn't the thread for it but i'm on the wagon this week for sure.

#andthelongestdrought

There is a lot of exaggerated "hate" for GWS. So typical of the internet, where hyperbole and over-the-top statements are the norm. As if anyone hates GWS, lol. Give me a break. They'd never even made the finals before this season.

Your average fan doesn't hate GWS. They hate Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn and maybe Geelong.

Your average fan probably has a soft spot for St.Kilda, the Bulldogs, maybe Freo, and over the last 5-6 years probably GWS and the Gold Coast too. GWS have been many fans adopted "second team" over the last 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back