Are Fremantle the worst 16-2 team in AFL history? Check the stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of hard to be when you win and lose it at the same time! haha. Besides, wasn't it a round robin competition because of WWI ?

12 round season in 1916. Each team played the other competing teams four times in the home and away with three week of finals in a Final Four system. Fitzroy won the premiership. Richmond collected the wooden spoon.

I remember when the Swans fell off a cliff in 2014 with a 1-3 start, including a battering by GWS. The opposition gloating threads were legion, pronouncing Sydney's long stint in the upper echelons of the league was over.

The season was done and we were already out of finals contention that season, and perhaps for the next decade with Buddy's contract hanging around our necks like a millstone. We ended up minor premiers and (badly) losing grand finalists that season.

Freo look pretty poor this season to be fair, but I'm not counting then out of the running at this early stage.

Given our injuries, we're cooked. We'll be lucky to break the four or five wins for the season mark

They'll rise to the occasion in September, they're timing their run well imo. They would've had that flag in 2013 if not for inaccurate kicking. They won't make the same mistake this time, two years more experience into that group will do wonders.
terrible post. hang your head in shame.

I have to say, I think the answer to this question is a pretty comprehensive yes isn't it.

Has a Minor Premier ever started the next year 0-5? Including losing on their home deck to the Wooden Spooner?

Surely not.
I'm fairly sure that 0-5 will become 0-8: they play Adelaide, GWS and Hawthorn in their next 3 games. Then they play Richmond - who knows how that one will pan out???

I have to say, I think the answer to this question is a pretty comprehensive yes isn't it.

Has a Minor Premier ever started the next year 0-5? Including losing on their home deck to the Wooden Spooner?

Surely not.

Incredibly the answer is yes.

After being Minor Premiers in 1982 (before losing the Grand Final to Carlton), Richmond started the 1983 season with 5 successive losses. This included a Round 5 loss to the previous year's wooden spooner Footscray at the MCG.

Richmond won its first game the next week when it beat Hawthorn, who went on to win the premiership in 1983. Richmond went on to finish 10th that year with a 7-15 record.

After its upset 1958 premiership win over Melbourne, Collingwood lost its first 5 matches in 1959, before recovering to finish 3rd with a 12-6 record. However, Collingwood did not win the Minor Premiership in 1958, finishing 2nd on the ladder to Melbourne.

I remember when the Swans fell off a cliff in 2014 with a 1-3 start, including a battering by GWS. The opposition gloating threads were legion, pronouncing Sydney's long stint in the upper echelons of the league was over.

The season was done and we were already out of finals contention that season, and perhaps for the next decade with Buddy's contract hanging around our necks like a millstone. We ended up minor premiers and (badly) losing grand finalists that season.

Freo look pretty poor this season to be fair, but I'm not counting then out of the running at this early stage.
Only a rare fool would have written Sydney off with their 1-3 start, it wasn't as widespread as you indicate. The Freo situation is clearly different, with several injuries, beltings, and losses at home to battlers. They are not going to suddenly find their mojo, it's a "games into the youngsters" season, if not a complete rebuild. Sydney lost a Rnd1 derby to an easily underestimated side, lost Rnd2 to a somewhat bogey team coming off a finals series, comfortably beat the Crows, then lost to North who made the prelim.

Look at our injury list and get back to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quoting a post from 8 months ago, what a fantastic life you must live...

P.S You wouldn't have won that premiership if not for corrupt umpiring and Fyfe's injury.
Yeah, corrupt umpiring to ensure that Hawthorn make the grand final instead of to W.A sides which would of been incredible for the victorian economy and also the AFL. But yeah, that Vic bias!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back