Australia Day - Shifting the Date

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was a kid, there were two Bonfire/Cracker Nights each year:
Empire Day was observed in state schools from 1905 with a program of addresses, pageants and patriotic songs, with children swearing allegiance to King and Empire with a loyal declaration. Also known as Flag Day, Empire Day saw the city decorated with flags on principal buildings and cable trams. The Empire Day Movement issued badges and Union Jack cards, with flags and buttons sold to raise money for the Lord Mayor's Fund, Red Cross and Queen Victoria Hospital. During Empire Shopping Week, shoppers were encouraged to buy Australian-made products or goods of Empire origin. Commemorative meetings, dinners and speeches were hosted across city and suburbs by the English Speaking Union, the Australian Women's National League, the Royal Empire Society and the Royal Colonial Institute. Local patriotic societies hosted suburban street carnivals, and in the 1930s a torchlight procession through the decorated streets of Surrey Hills and Balwyn climaxed at an annual Empire Day bonfire and fireworks hosted by the Advance Balwyn League. Empire Day was primarily a Protestant celebration, often the subject of sectarian debate and opposed by a Catholic hierarchy whose annual festival equivalent was St Patrick's Day. Opponents of the movement occasionally interrupted commemorative activities: in 1929 communists were accused of throwing stink bombs during an Empire rally at the Royal Exhibition Building. Originally celebrated on 24 May (Queen Victoria's birthday), popular observance declined in the postwar period. Renamed (British) Commonwealth Day in the 1950s, and moved in 1966 to 11 June (Queen Elizabeth II's birthday), it was more commonly known as Cracker Night and celebrated by bonfires and the lighting of fireworks until stricter government regulation reduced their availability.
PS Guy Fawkes' Night was definitely, for a long part of its history, intended and understood to be anti-Catholic, but by the 50s it had ceased to be anything but an excuse for a good time. Like Australia Day. And the numerous Catholic kids and families in the neighbourhood joined in just as enthusiastically as everyone else.

I remember the days you could around early Nov buy fireworks from the local milk bar.

I was dirty when they were banned but in retrospect allowing 10 year old kids to have free access to Tom Thumbs, Skyrockets and Catherine Wheels was a tad musguided. Of course this was back in the days before seat belt laws where safety was an optional extra.

I remember the days you could around early Nov buy fireworks from the local milk bar.

I was dirty when they were banned but in retrospect allowing 10 year old kids to have free access to Tom Thumbs, Skyrockets and Catherine Wheels was a tad musguided. Of course this was back in the days before seat belt laws where safety was an optional extra.

Yeah, you could get crackers just about anywhere, and you'd hear them going off for at least a week or two prior to the night.
And of course they were dangerous, kids were injured and maimed ever year, and banning them was probably the only safe solution.
Mind you, it wasn't only kids who took risks, I remember one year the bonfires were all soaking wet after days of rain, and some of the neighbours got a bit antsy when dad's solution was to set ours alight with a therapeutic (thaumaturgic?) dose of petrol.

Yep, I thought it pretty funny when we bought a car with seat belts in the back. As a kid I thought, who plans to have an accident.

My Indo wife asked her driver "what's this?" Whilst tugging on the seat belt. He shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know".

It wasn't until she jumped into a cab in Singapore at the age of 10, that she realised the strap thing connects to the thing in the middle.

Having just about had my head taken off by a six year old who pointed his rocket at me during New Year's celebrations in the Netherlands (where personal fireworks are still legal), I'm inclined to agree.

Have generally noticed that there seem to be more and more illegal fireworks being set off around the neighbourhood each year. Drives the dog crazy.

Not sure what that has to do with the subject but here's a :thumbsu: anyway
Just a reminder of his moronic logic.

Anyhow back on topic, Stan has a point and it is hilarious the bile being thrown at him.

I will celebrate Australia Day with beers etc. but it doesn't bother me what those councils have done. Much more concerned with the divisive mouth breathing parochial nonsense that also partly ruins this period.

Just a reminder of his moronic logic.

Anyhow back on topic, Stan has a point and it is hilarious the bile being thrown at him.

I will celebrate Australia Day with beers etc. but it doesn't bother me what those councils have done. Much more concerned with the divisive mouth breathing parochial nonsense that also partly ruins this period.

If he could back up the bravado with actual physical exertion i'd lend it more credence....but he's just a wet fart.
******* damp squib

Relic

Maybe the date should be abolished. It signified the birth of a once great nation, a day to celebrate everything great about it. Remove it and create a date celebrating the death of Australia, as this country is not what it once was

Maybe the date should be abolished. It signified the birth of a once great nation, a day to celebrate everything great about it. Remove it and create a date celebrating the death of Australia, as this country is not what it once was
When are you leaving?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

australia8845088-3x2-700x467.jpg

Vandalism of statues relating to Australian history over night. I wonder who could be behind this

some peace loving tolerant group who rewrite history

Geez, get some perspective, it's a little spray paint, not terrorism. Also, correcting history is technically rewriting it. But history without truth is propaganda.

Not how I would have handled it, but I'm not going to stir up any outrage over it either.
A little spray paint over some aboriginal rock art also acceptable ?

Geez, get some perspective, it's a little spray paint, not terrorism. Also, correcting history is technically rewriting it. But history without truth is propaganda.

Not how I would have handled it, but I'm not going to stir up any outrage over it either.

perspective? and then proceeds to refer to terrorism

hmmmm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back