Australia Day - Shifting the Date

Remove this Banner Ad

I think white Australia still takes a very paternalistic approach to the Indigenous community, and still thinks it knows better. After the Garma Festival a list of recommendations, a wish list of sorts was submitted to the government on how to improve the lot of Indigenous people, and it was largely dismissed out of hand, in favour of income quarantining, and closure of remote communities. There has to be compromise along the way, but at the moment it seems to be a bit of a one way street.
Maybe we could build them nice houses. Oh wait we did, then they gutter them and set them on fire

Are you indigenous? Are you a victim of genocide? Either Sultan is correct or he isn't. If you think he is correct, why are you standing by and letting genocide happen?

They're living the consequences of being a people completely unprepared for the modern world. It's not up to us to cut ourselves up over past wrongs, it's required of everyone to help them adjust to the modern world, not pretend otherwise.

Pretending otherwise is supposing 26 January 1788 is the date that doomed their way of life, when it were doomed regardless.
No, it's up to us to create the foundations of a just society in which everyone has equality of opportunity. That's just human decency. Unfortunately, too many people are all about 'how does it affect me right now'.

No, it's up to us to create the foundations of a just society in which everyone has equality of opportunity. That's just human decency. Unfortunately, too many people are all about 'how does it affect me right now'.
Ever notice there is an 'are you aboriginal or Torres Strait islander' tick box on basically everything? What 'equal' benefits are available to me if I tick this?

Can the "Alternate history might've been worse" people please go **** themselves?
Why? Do you not have any argument against it?

What alternative history can you imagine that went better for a bunch of hunter gatherers?

It must be hard coming to terms with reality, but denying it can no longer go on.

Do you think there is an ongoing genocide?

I can't speak for Dan Sultan, but I believe he may be referring to the eradication of Aboriginal culture, which has been ongoing. It might not be what you think when you hear genocide, but it's not without merit.

Isn't that a natural progression of society though? The post-war European diaspora in this country have a proud history and culture, but with the passing of generations comes the inevitable loss of culture and traditions.

australia8845088-3x2-700x467.jpg

Doesn't matter what it is people will find a way to be offended....

sensitive.jpg

Isn't that a natural progression of society though? The post-war European diaspora in this country have a proud history and culture, but with the passing of generations comes the inevitable loss of culture and traditions.
It's actually what's missed when it's described as the world's oldest living culture. Every other culture has gone through death and renewal dozens of times over.

Why is theirs so special not to do the same?

Now the NT Chief Minister has joined the debate. The government isn't going to to be able to just keep batting this away, or sternly lecturing those that dare question Australia Day.

Guardian quotes bleeding heart Arts Grad. Wonders never cease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100 years ago they did it on a different day to help raise money for war bonds?

The day has been in place for about 70 years... for a young country thats a fair chunk of its history

"But the date is sacred and part of our history"

I hate this post. It is soooo misleading. as mentioned above, it was during ww1 and for war bonds.

Another thing, You cant say the day isn't important but still use THAT day to protest about Australia's past history. there is a conflict in thinking there. If it wasn't important, then what is all the drama about???

26th of Jan had its birth before 1915. the first Jan 26th was 1818 on the 30th anniversary of the landing at Sydney Cove. It was known as Foundation day(or Anniversary Day) for most of this time. it was also an NSW event. 1888 was the first nationwide foundation day. That was a one off it seems but by 1938, most states had the 26th as Australia Day. 1938 was also the first day of mourning.

Now, the day where we had the public holiday has changed(from the long weekend(monday) to the actual day itself), but the 26th of Jan has always been used as the basis of the holiday for nearly 80 years. It was in the 1930's that the push to have the 26th become the the national day was successful.

Last edited:
I hate this post. It is soooo misleading. as mentioned above, it was during ww1 and for war bonds.

Another thing, You cant say the day isn't important but still use THAT day to protest about Australia's past history. there is a conflict in thinking there. If it wasn't important, then what is all the drama about???
The day isn't protesting Australia's history, the protest itself is about using that date as Australia's national day - a day in which the British, with the help of shackled English and Irish convicts, landed to establish the colony of New South Wales under the concept of terras nullias.

Large sections of the Australian community either do not celebrate it or actively rail against that particular date. It will never be the unifying date a national day should be. Little wonder why, from it's renaissance post 1981, Anzac Day has taken on far more national significance.

The day isn't protesting Australia's history, the protest itself is about using that date as Australia's national day - a day in which the British, with the help of shackled English and Irish convicts, landed to establish the colony of New South Wales under the concept of terras nullias.

Large sections of the Australian community either do not celebrate it or actively rail against that particular date. It will never be the unifying date a national day should be. Little wonder why, from it's renaissance post 1981, Anzac Day has taken on far more national significance.

Our dominion cousins have the same issue. Whenever you read something about Canada Day or Waitangi Day(NZ Day), there will be some group protesting about some issue in the past or future. There will never be a national unifying day of celebration, regardless of the day. Some people will always use it to protest about how Australia came to be. It doesn't matter if you call it an invasion, settlement or migration. It happened. The best way to move forward is to fix the issues that are happening now.

I feel it is a shame that we always look upon the dark sides of Australian history.

"But the date is sacred and part of our history"

Yes i already gave the non ABC reply, an historical account, it was alway January but firstly the ANA wanted to counter the far more popular empire day. IE rule britania singalong. Then for WW1 it was decided to move it for optimum war bond selling. The intent was always 26 Jan.

What does someone have to achieve before you'll forget they're an 'arts grad'.

Quite a bit more than pathetic whining about Australia day.

Large sections of the Australian community either do not celebrate it or actively rail against that particular date. It will never be the unifying date a national day should be.

Large sections don't celebrate it? So they go to work on that day?

There are is also the bien pensant crowd who hate Anzac too.

Such as being a Chief Minister?

NT. Not the greatest talent pool nor population.

No doubt that particular paper searched high and low for someone to come out with such mutterings in order to advance their agenda and thats the best they could manage.

Hardly earth shattering stuff which will set the debate alight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back