ODI Australia v England ODI Series (NOV 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
So moving on from our average T20 world cup we have a 3 ODI series against the poms coming up. 1st Game in Adelaide 2nd SCG 3rd MCG

Who comes in? do we rest players ??? prepare them for the tests ??? Who replaces Finch?

For me I would like to see

Head or Phillipe given first crack
Warner
Smith
Marsh
Stoinis
Carey
Maxwell
Neser/Agar ,,,,depending on conditions
Cummins
Zamps
Behrendoff

Hazelwood Starc Greenie Labs Back to shield cricket to prepare for the tests.

Dorff and Neser to Replace the quicks....Marsh back to replace Greenie...Head for Finchie but would be happy for Phillipe to play aswell

Thoughts ??.....Sorry if this post is too early but the Aussies need to get back on the horse

I'd go with:

Philippe
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Carey
Marsh
Maxwell
Neser
Cummins
Zampa
Behrendorff

With Stoinis, Heazlett, Agar and Ellis in the squad

This is a chance to refresh the side. Renshaw is killing it in all forms of the game, happy to have him him in. Try Ellis out in the 50 over format too. Was going to keep the quicks rested for the coming Tests but as skipper Cummins has to play. Not convinced this is a great form of cricket for him either but better than he is at T20.

Interesting that Ronnie has said head in the mix for finchie and he is looking at playing a full strength side … hazelwood starc might play

Preparation for ODI WC next year.
Yes, the 14 other ODIs we've played this year clearly aren't enough.

And a three match series - which is not part of the ODI Super League - against England in Australia is great preparation for an World Cup 12 months away, in India.

I guess it's better than playing some red-ball cricket in the fortnight before the first test...

Yes, the 14 other ODIs we've played this year clearly aren't enough.

And a three match series - which is not part of the ODI Super League - against England in Australia is great preparation for an World Cup 12 months away, in India.

I guess it's better than playing some red-ball cricket in the fortnight before the first test...
I was genuinely unaware we played so many ODIs already this year, and was giving a theory for the justification for this series. In that case, to answer your question Cleavy, I don't know.

Would be very disappointing if the selectors kept recycling that T20 team side..... fantastic opportunity to get some in form faces in from the Marsh Cup for the Eng series....

So why are we even playing this series?

The real reason is because it's the ODI leg of hosting England for the 2018-2023 ICC future tours program.

CA should have moved this series to earlier in the season with the Zimbabwe and NZ ODIs and rescheduled the postponed Afghanistan Test.

Would love to see Renshaw gets a go at 4. Pretty comfortably one of the most in form middle order List A batsman outside of the international setup the last year or so.

Last edited:
Warner
Head
Smith
Labuschagne
Stoinis
Carey
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

If we're playing a full strength side otherwise I'd rest the quicks

The real reason is because it's the ODI leg of hosting England for the 2018-2023 ICC future tours program.

CA should have moved this series to earlier in the season with the Zimbabwe and NZ ODIs and rescheduled the postponed Afghanistan Test.
The next question is why it's in the FTP, given its not part of the Super League.

Does a series like this really make that much money for CA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These matches will get terrible crowds surely, had no idea this series was on until a few days ago, will still get the G and hopefully see some decent cricket. CA need up their game.

The next question is why it's in the FTP, given its not part of the Super League.

Does a series like this really make that much money for CA?
It does but only because it fills the content hours required as part of the TV rights contract. White ball games against another of the big 3 would be a key component of that contract. It doesn't even really matter how it rates or how many attends. Well not in this contract cycle at least.

Australia ODI squad vs England Pat Cummins (capt), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa

Australia ODI squad vs England Pat Cummins (capt), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa
Ummm

So the same old same old....perfect opportunity to freshen up the team as they said they are tired. So Green in the ODI squad would rather him play in the shield along with labs who has started off averagely

Really disappointed with the test squad announced for the West indian tests..nice to see boland but what about Jhye or Neser?? are we rewarding shield form or just playing favourites ???

Are we just going to See Cummins Hazelwood Starc every bloody match??

Ummm

So the same old same old....perfect opportunity to freshen up the team as they said they are tired. So Green in the ODI squad would rather him play in the shield along with labs who has started off averagely

Really disappointed with the test squad announced for the West indian tests..nice to see boland but what about Jhye or Neser?? are we rewarding shield form or just playing favourites ???

tired ? from what ? - bowling a maximum of 16 overs in the T20 World Cup ?

cummo, josh and starcy are still our best 3 quicks (i doubt for too much longer though)

when others have had an opportunity in the odi arena they haven't delivered.

test squad - mehh it's a 2 test series only need 1 back up quick and i am sure jhye and neser and in the selectors sights still.

disappointed that we have harris in the squad and basically the next batsman in line still.

tired ? from what ? - bowling a maximum of 16 overs in the T20 World Cup ?

cummo, josh and starcy are still our best 3 quicks (i doubt for too much longer though)

when others have had an opportunity in the odi arena they haven't delivered.

test squad - mehh it's a 2 test series only need 1 back up quick and i am sure jhye and neser and in the selectors sights still.

disappointed that we have harris in the squad and basically the next batsman in line still.

Exactly they said it not me they are tired....F**k me they wouldn't play there first choice attack in perth because they said there is too much cricket

How are they going to go come the backend of the summer against South Africa??? are we going to see Cummins Starc Hazelwood play every bloody game because that's what it looks like. Already Cummins Starc have lost pace how are they going to go playing 2 tests and then another 3 in two month period??

This ODI Series was a perfect opportunity to bring in new bowlers....I would rather Neser and Dorff play and give Starc Hazelwood a run in the shield
...but the shield means f**k all anyway

With the tests why not try something different freshen it up ...to be fair the windies are struggling any shield attack could do the job??

Ummm

It would have been 2 weeks since their last game so they'll be fresh. No point refreshing a team that has won 5 out of the last 6 ODIs and swept NZ. Head replacing Finch, is already a change at the top of the order. Who else warrants being picked ahead of those already picked.

People were complaining when we fielded non full strength sides and when we do people still complain?

Test squad is fine, Boland will fill in if the quicks need a rest no point having more quicks than they are being robbed of time in the Shield

Pretty much what happens when the coach is your best bud and not telling you what to do. The players just pick themselves and their mates and there’s no accountability or pressure on spots in the side. I’m all for trying to have continuity over the 3 formats but at some point you have to realise you’re playing s**t short form cricket and it’s time for some new blood. Ellis and J.Richardson will be 30 by the time they get a good crack at it and guys like Philippe should be in and around the squad already (not necessarily starting every game)

It would have been 2 weeks since their last game so they'll be fresh. No point refreshing a team that has won 5 out of the last 6 ODIs and swept NZ. Head replacing Finch, is already a change at the top of the order. Who else warrants being picked ahead of those already picked.

People were complaining when we fielded non full strength sides and when we do people still complain?

Test squad is fine, Boland will fill in if the quicks need a rest no point having more quicks than they are being robbed of time in the Shield

I am looking at the schedule coming up and its pretty packed. I would of looked at playing both Starc and Hazelwood who has not had much first class cricket the past 12-18months games into the shield and prepare them for the test in Perth...and bring neser and Dorff into the ODI setup and reward them for good marsh cup form

England are not playing there full strength side instead preparing for a pakistan tour and they are testing there playing pool

If we play Starc Hazelwood Cummins every game it will be interesting to see how they will be come the backend of the summer against South Africa because atm starc and cummins look tired and have lost pace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back