Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

So it seems like the big drawcards of 7 will be Ponting and Warne

Will be interesting to see who else gets a gig. Get a feeling that we’ll see Binga back in the box

Isa Guha was the best thing about the Triple M broadcast, she'll be great for Foxtel.

Mel Jones is the best female Australian commentator as well. Seven really need to get Allison Mitchell involved, she's the other really established female commentator that would fit well.

That wasn't a problem for me, I cut my cricket teeth at the Adelaide Oval n the 80s, now that was old and white. Lords has a good atmosphere, crowd is knowledgeable and every Australian who goes there for the first time remarks on how close you are to the pitch. Plus it's absolutely dripping in history, should be on any cricket tragic's bucket list if possible.

Off topic, but how did you get in? I'm sure I've read that the whole ground is full up these days with various types of members. Can you only get in as a part of organised fan tours?

Isa Guha was the best thing about the Triple M broadcast, she'll be great for Foxtel.

Mel Jones is the best female Australian commentator as well. Seven really need to get Allison Mitchell involved, she's the other really established female commentator that would fit well.

The News article linked earlier seemed to suggest that Guha and Jones would be doing womens BBL. I'd be so, so disappointed if they were confined to that.

This makes me so happy if it’s a sign of things to come. Hopefully they can get someone like Holding or equally good international commentators.

9 really botched that, besides Ian Smith they didn’t even try it outside of the ashes.

I love the hires but not Vaughany. Dude is not good. I would have loved if they got Nass, Wardy, or Athers and Allison Mitchell.

Hopefully 7 or Fox get Ganguly for at least this summer.
Harbajhan would spice things up. To be honest though, why hasn't there been more overseas countries that play in Australia have their past champions invited to commentate? Kallis, Dravid, Tendulkar. I saw Sir Viv doing BBL, why not extend this like they have to Holding?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The News article linked earlier seemed to suggest that Guha and Jones would be doing womens BBL. I'd be so, so disappointed if they were confined to that.

Well, if they are trying to differentiate themselves from the slow motion train wreck that was The Final Days of Nine, then that wouldn't be the way to go about it.

Off topic, but how did you get in? I'm sure I've read that the whole ground is full up these days with various types of members. Can you only get in as a part of organised fan tours?

Most state cricket associations and the melbourne cricket club will have reciprocal arrangements with the marylebrone cricket club which gets you access. That's how i got in.

I beg to differ.
Meh, just because he was tolerable doesn't actually make him good. If Nine's team back then wasn't so appalling he'd rightly be seen as pretty ordinary, while he didn't get sidetracked much I haven't really heard him say anything interesting.

Maybe he'll get better though. Personally am not convinced on any of Fox's male appointments apart from Gilchrist, and even then I think he'd be better served on FTA.

I stated when he began on Nine that he has the potential to be a commentator like Bill Lawry (whose voice is hardly a delight to the ears). But he needs to be placed in a position where he can learn how to do that in order to bring it out.
Don't disagree with this, there's no doubting he's a tragic which is always a plus in my book. Maybe he just needs some coaching.

Hussey lives and breathes cricket; with time and training, he could be great. Perhaps he was just a little reluctant at first about being completely honest about players he had played with.

would have been hard for him to be critical of his mates in public so soon after playing with them

My memories of Hussey are vague but I seem to remember him lacking a bit of confidence and being a bit vanilla.

Obviously, confidence will come with experience and I think his view of slater and some of the others was a bit of ‘wtf is this?’ which could’ve also added to that vibe. Could also explain the vanilla feeling as well which an entirely different set up at Fox would fix. Unless of course he really is just a bit on the boring side.

Would love to see him with O’Keefe over the summer - reckon they would work really well together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back