Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If they keep preparing these crap pitches then cricket won’t be worth covering. No coincidence crowds have dropped off in cricket since the introduction of roads as pitches for every format .
And yet Sunday's ODI was the most watched cricket game in Foxtel history, and their third most watched sporting event ever.

Dan Brettig has not missed Channel 7 in this opinion piece:

The remarkable thing about all this evidence, however, is that at no stage have Seven's head of Sport, Lewis Martin, or his chief executive James Warburton and multibillionaire chairman Kerry Stokes, seemed to have reached the realisation that the cricket world simply does not revolve around them in the same way a reality TV show they commissioned might.

Yes it would they are broke and the public was already angry enough with the white ball stuff getting put behind a paywall

That was my point, if everything is so good and the numbers are huge it should be no issue for them.
People need to understand that the future of FTA tv having big sport on is coming to an end rapidly.

did like the press release by Cricket Tas, calling the allegations that Tassie paid for the BBL hub "Trump-like".

We "paid" for them by not getting any international cricket for the last 2 years you dumbos. The fact we have 2 locations with decent stadiums helps.

Ch.7 can go and get ...... Perhaps they shouldn't overpay for things.

That was my point, if everything is so good and the numbers are huge it should be no issue for them.
People need to understand that the future of FTA tv having big sport on is coming to an end rapidly.

Home tests in Australia are on the anti siphoning list so they have to be shown on FTA and can't be exclusive to pay tv.

Home ODIs were also on the anti siphoning list though and somehow Foxtel found a way around that with the help of CA and Ch7.

Home tests in Australia are on the anti siphoning list so they have to be shown on FTA and can't be exclusive to pay tv.

Home ODIs were also on the anti siphoning list though and somehow Foxtel found a way around that with the help of CA and Ch7.
ODIs are still on the anti siphoning list. Just as footy is. CA found their way around it in the same way the AFL and NRL did.

If seven just refused to cover the tests this year wouldn't Fox sports just get them exclusive?

I mean if the laws were what people think they are Fox wouldn't be showing these games today as any free to air would be able to say no we want them before fox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If seven just refused to cover the tests this year wouldn't Fox sports just get them exclusive?

I mean if the laws were what people think they are Fox wouldn't be showing these games today as any free to air would be able to say no we want them before fox

Ch10 wanted to show all the ODIs and T20s but CA chose to go with the more lucrative Ch7/Fox deal, they might be regretting doing a deal with Ch7 now though.

I think they're technically doing that for the ODIs and T20Is, they've technically got the rights but they're contractually obliged to not show them.

Anti-siphoning only exists to protect the FTA broadcasters, right now these anti-siphoning laws only affect Foxtel (as a Pay TV licence condition). Optus, Amazon or whoever could just pick up games without dealing with FTA, or Nine could pick up the rights and put everything on Stan if that made financial sense for them.

Interesting, don’t think I’ve seen an umpire/ex-umpire involved in cricket coverage before. Could be good value.
An umpire's perspective would add value to the broadcast I'd guess, most of the ex players have proved they're anything but expert when it comes to that part of game.

I think it depends on how they use him.

If its like the networks have been using former refs in NFL broadcasts (i.e. to explain questionable calls the on-field refs make) then I don't think he'll add much as there aren't that many such umpiring decisions in cricket, especially with DRS being available to the teams. And if he is just an apologist for the umpires (as the ref on ESPNs NFL broadcasts is), then it'll be a negative

I think it depends on how they use him.

If its like the networks have been using former refs in NFL broadcasts (i.e. to explain questionable calls the on-field refs make) then I don't think he'll add much as there aren't that many such umpiring decisions in cricket, especially with DRS being available to the teams. And if he is just an apologist for the umpires (as the ref on ESPNs NFL broadcasts is), then it'll be a negative
I’d much prefer if Taufel was used as a commentator in the regular rotation rather than someone they just cross to when a contentious decision arises. Third umpire decisions don’t require any additional explanation as you can hear them deliberating in real time. Getting his perspective on the game itself would be a better use of his time.

I’d much prefer if Taufel was used as a commentator in the regular rotation rather than someone they just cross to when a contentious decision arises. Third umpire decisions don’t require any additional explanation as you can hear them deliberating in real time. Getting his perspective on the game itself would be a better use of his time.
Agreed, but considering that Ch7 has cribbed a lot from American sports broadcasts in recent years, I'd be worried that they'd just follow the example I outlined above

Cricket Tasmania chief calls Channel 7 claims ‘Trump-like’

When cricket officials are comparing broadcasters to Donald Trump it is a clear sign the war between the two parties has moved beyond civil.

Tasmanian cricket boss Andrew Gaggin has launched a scathing attack on Channel 7 boss Lewis Martin in response to an affidavit filed with the Federal Court as part of the ongoing dispute between the two parties.

The flare-up comes as both have agreed on an as-yet-unnamed independent expert to arbitrate in a hearing at the Australian Centre for International Arbitration.

Gaggin hit back at suggestions from Martin that there may have been a financial inducement to move the start of the BBL season to Tasmania — something which has upset the rights holder.

The broadcaster wants to see exchanges between Cricket Australia and the BCCI as well as any dealings with the Tasmanian government.

Seven argues the season has been upended to suit India’s demands to play the limited-overs series first, that this has been detrimental to its business and is not a result of force majeure as claimed by Cricket Australia.

The Tasmanian boss hit back hard in his denial.

“The Trump-like allegations concerning the Tasmanian state government are patently absurd and untrue. The Tasmanian government has certainly provided an incentive,” Gaggin said.

“Its proactive and responsible COVID-19 policies have ensured that Tasmania is one of the world’s safest places and the perfect location to host the start of the Big Bash.

“However, let it be clear that no financial incentive was provided by the Tasmanian government to Cricket Australia for BBL matches to be played in Tasmania. The Tasmanian government continues to be a great supporter of all cricket in Tasmania.”

Gaggin is a senior litigation partner of Tasmanian law firm Murdoch Clarke Lawyers and has been in the role of chairman at Cricket Tasmania since 2015.

“Tasmania has long been the grassroots champion of Australian cricket, having provided a host of great players and the current Test captain,” he said.

“It is pleasing that Cricket Australia has acknowledged this and we look forward to an amazing start to the tournament. Cricket Tasmania is an equal owner of Australian cricket and will continue to push for world-class content to be played in this state. Tasmania has successfully hosted international cricket for over 30 years and will continue to do so.

“I extend a warm invitation to all Australian cricket lovers to journey down to discover the world-class stadiums at Blundstone Arena and UTAS Stadium, and to enjoy all of the other wonders of Tasmania. I can’t wait for the first match on December 10.”

Martin says in the affidavit that he is not sure whether there is a financial arrangement but wants to know if one exists.

The network argues that it had been promised a better BBL season this year after declining ratings and crowds in the first years of the contract but plans to launch the tournament with the Test series were abandoned. Later the rollout of the season changed to begin in Tasmania which the broadcaster argues was also detrimental to the product.

Cricket Australia claimed in a legal letter to Seven the changes were due to force majeure.

Martin swore in the affidavit that he “could not know for certain” a financial inducement from the Tasmanian government was the reason for the shift, saying “inspection of those contracts would assist Seven in deciding whether to commence proceedings against CA”.

PETER LALOR

SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

Why would 7 want to walk away from cricket by the end of this summer without knowing that next summer (COVID-19 permitting) is an Ashes summer, and Australia v England is cricket’s equivalent of the Olympic, with big advertising dollars and massive TV ratings, especially on the east coast when Australia plays England in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back