Australian Test Tour of Bangladesh August/September 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd only have one of those players in the "great category" as a batsmen, about what we're at now.

Considering who, when and where they played, I would have almost total certainty in saying that all 5 would average between 45-55 now.

Boon was rated the best in the world for a while between 92-94. Jones had a fantastically underrated test career and so did Taylor.

Considering who, when and where they played, I would have almost total certainty in saying that all 5 would average between 45-55 now.

Boon was rated the best in the world for a while between 92-94. Jones had a fantastically underrated test career and so did Taylor.

Disagree. Most of those guys played a fair bit of cricket against weaker opposition. Jones averaged 45 which is about the maximum he would average now. Jones had a very weak mental game anyway, wouldn't make a difference between then and now. Taylor was a gun as the total package but you are no doubt factoring in his firstclass captaincy, not just looking at his batting. Serviceable.

Disagree. Most of those guys played a fair bit of cricket against weaker opposition. Jones averaged 45 which is about the maximum he would average now. Jones had a very weak mental game anyway, wouldn't make a difference between then and now. Taylor was a gun as the total package but you are no doubt factoring in his firstclass captaincy, not just looking at his batting. Serviceable.
Jones had a very weak mental game?
Really?
I suggest you re visit his double century in India where he ended up in hospital on a drip.....

Is that weak mental game highlighted by his double century when he pissed himself and vomited in India and had to be basically carried into the dressing room, or his double century against the West Indies at the height of their game?

Geez you're a hard marker.

Is that weak mental game highlighted by his double century when he pissed himself and vomited in India and had to be basically carried into the dressing room, or his double century against the West Indies at the height of their game?

Are you copying my posts again.......

All of this also doesn't even account for the fact that jones was one of the first prototypical ODI 'finishers' in the sport, a role which itself was pretty demanding mentally.

There are a lot of words I'd associate with Dean Jones - arrogant, prickly, different, under-appreciated - mentally weak is not one of them.

never made runs when we needed it aside from a few freek innings.

hit exactly 1 ton against the WI in 19 innings. Average 17 when the team lost, tended to be a bit of a down hill skier.

Last edited:
never made runs when we needed it aside from a few freek innings.

hit exactly 1 ton against the WI in 19 innings. Average 17 when the team lost, tended to be a bit of a down hill skier.

77 @ 4-70
100* @ 5-150, 4-100
^^^ these came from the series deciding third test against Sri Lanka in 1992, earned Australia a draw.

116 vs Wasim, Waqar, Imran Khan, Mushtaq
121* same match to earn draw coming in at 4-100. Both at Adelaide.

184* of 340, next highest score was 34 vs England at Sydney.

157 at Edgbaston - nobody else passed 43.

That's purely from looking at matches in which he scored a century. And doesn't count the two double centuries which were unarguably fine mental efforts.

Think you're pushing s**t uphill here mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cartwright is a batsman though. You can't really consider him an all-rounder.

Also, Bangladesh having a lot of left-handers will probably give more opportunities for Maxwell to bowl in tandem with Lyon than before.

Agree Smith didn't even make much use of mitch marsh when he had him as a 3rd seamer in asia so not sure how cartwrights inferior bowling becomes a selection factor on these decks which will turn from day 1.

If we were going to do something a bit different to cram in more bowling it would have been playing agar as a 3rd spinner and batting him at 6 or 7 but reality is we actually bowled well enough to win or at least draw in india but our batting just isn't good enough, teams like india and england have often been getting more out of 8 and 9 than we have our 6 and 7 so i think we need to just accept 4 bowlers and pick our strongest top 7 if any of them can bowl it's just a nice bonus.

Last edited:
We have announced our XI:
Steve Smith (c), David Warner, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Matthew Wade, Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood
Bit early isn't it, announcing it the day before.

We have announced our XI:
Steve Smith (c), David Warner, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Matthew Wade, Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

a pretty good line up for the conditions

Is SOK injured or just out of favour?

Is he in the Jon Holland discard pile?

I mean Dutchy ain't much chop at international level but Agar...c'mon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back