Autopsy Awesome, and some would say, unexpected win to the Pies over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the replay again today. Third time. Thomas cops contact to the head. Right in the jaw. The fact that he’s tougher than McGovern shouldn’t factor into it.
I can't see any head contact. We wil have to disagree on that.

Read the rules and tell me what you think? How is the other “well within his rights”? It’s all about the contact. Above the shoulder and you are done.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know you’re stuck on the wording of the rules here, but it was pretty heavily promoted last year that the rules had changed in regards to high contact and players ducking or leading with their head. If the umpire seems that the player has drawn high contact through their own actions it’s play on, that’s why you see so many high tackles that players have ducked in to these days overlooked.

I know you’re stuck on the wording of the rules here, but it was pretty heavily promoted last year that the rules had changed in regards to high contact and players ducking or leading with their head. If the umpire seems that the player has drawn high contact through their own actions it’s play on, that’s why you see so many high tackles that players have ducked in to these days overlooked.

They also said the shrug or arm lift wasn't going to be rewarded with a free kick anymore, but that lasted about 4 or 5 games & they were back to paying Selwood, Schuey & the other copy cats free kicks left right & centre. How the hell can they justify giving free kicks to them when they are intentionally drawing high tackle free kicks? They go on about protecting the head but allow these guys to promote getting a high tackle intentionally. It's a real bugbear of mine & I'm bloody glad our lads don't do that crap.

I was at Sydney airport yesterday and walked through arrivals to get to departures and saw Adelaide waiting for their bags.... made eye contact with Taylor Walker as I strolled past.... if I wasn't in a hurry to get to the gate (and had no shame), I might have yelled out a Coooolllingwooooood from the escalator :)

If the other player was going for the ball I'd agree but he was going for Murray.

I disagree, I think they were both going for the footy. The suggestion that because McGovern was approaching the contest from a tangent means he was after Murray instead of the footy is a little extreme. I initially thought play on was the right course given they'd both achieved similar height to attack the footy. Where Murray left himself open to be penalised is when he changed his approach from attacking the footy to defending himself. If instead of bracing he'd remained on course for the footy the umpire wouldn't have had any option but to call play on.

Was certainly poor body positioning or a clear lack of awareness by McGovern but I'm not sure he ducked per se.

I disagree, I think they were both going for the footy. The suggestion that because McGovern was approaching the contest from a tangent means he was after Murray instead of the footy is a little extreme. I initially thought play on was the right course given they'd both achieved similar height to attack the footy. Where Murray left himself open to be penalised is when he changed his approach from attacking the footy to defending himself. If instead of bracing he'd remained on course for the footy the umpire wouldn't have had any option but to call play on.
On second viewing I agree.

I’d rather Murray braced himself and got the free against him than not bracing and having dickhead McGovern break his ribs with his skull.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still you can see where his interpretation has come from, there was clear head high contact to McGovern so the high contact free was able to be reasonably argued.
I'd argue that even after watching the replay on slow motion, I can't actually see the head high contact. I'm sure it was there and the free was reasonable, but Macgovern didn't get a free because there was clear contact. He got it because he put his hand to his head and the umpire assumed or guessed that it was high contact

He sure as hell lead with his head though

Nothing illegal in that, just poor practice not to pivot into the contest and protect his head.

I’d rather Murray braced himself and got the free against him than not bracing and having dickhead McGovern break his ribs with his skull.

Agree. There's brave and then there's stupid. Murray was brave in his attack on the contest, sensible to brace for the unavoidable contact.

Collingwood’s maiden victory at Adelaide Oval from 5 attempts, in a game where they won every quarter, and were never headed by Adelaide for the whole game in very wet conditions. This win will signify to the competition that the Magpies could play finals in 2018.

Collingwood sliced Adelaide wide open on transition with effective handballs that were very damaging off half-back and from the stoppages. The Magpies had 60 more disposals (432 - 372) than the Crows, and won the clearances by 24 (57 - 33). Collingwood lost the centre clearances by -2 (13 - 15), but won several clearances from the stoppages. The Magpies were +26 (44 - 18) from this statistic, and were able to win the contested possession count by +35 (198 - 163), which flowed onto the uncontested possession count, where Collingwood were +26 (228 - 202) from this source.

That resulted in Collingwood smashing the handballs count, where the Magpies were +56 (217 - 161), highlighting the transition from stoppages. Collingwood were able to lay 77 tackles to Adelaide’s 67, and had 9 extra Inside 50’s (58 - 49). Collingwood scored 26 times for 16 goals, while Adelaide had a measly 13 scoring shots for 9 goals.

Collingwood’s best players were Steele Sidebottom, (43 disposals, 26 contested possessions, 12 clearances & 7 tackles), Brodie Grundy (33 disposals, 40 hitouts, 23 contested possessions, 8 score involvements, 12 clearances, 6 Inside 50’s & 1 goal), Adam Treloar (36 disposals, 19 contested possessions, 10 score involvements, 11 tackles, 10 clearances & 4 Inside 50’s) and Jaidyn Stephenson (13 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 9 score involvements & 5 goals) highlighted why he was drafted by the Magpies.

Notable mentions to Scott Pendlebury (30 disposals, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances & 6 Inside 50’s), Josh Thomas (20 disposals, 10 score involvements & 2 goals), Sam Murray (23 disposals @70% & 6 tackles) and Callum Brown (15 disposals & 8 tackles) was prepared to kick the ball more often which was pleasing. Every other player played their role without being stars.

Adelaide's best players were Rory Laird (37 disposals, 17 contested possessions & 4 Inside 50's), Bryce Gibbs (27 disposals, 8 score involvements, 6 clearances, 8 Inside 50's & 2 goals), Paul Seedsman (29 disposals, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 7 Inside 50's & 2 goals) and Hugh Greenwood (24 disposals, 16 contested possessions & 5 tackles.

Next game is on April 25 (ANZAC Day) against Essendon at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back