Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Something that struck me whilst watching that press conference unrelated to Pyke (who was very impressive) was how much more assured Elizabeth Gaines came across than what we’ve seen from Paul Fitzpatrick

It was an easy gig announcing a popular appointment to be fair, but she was clear and gave concise answers when required

Gave off an air of authority and confidence I haven’t seen from Fitzpatrick who comes across far more awkwardly
Had a real politics, 'she's running', vibe.

Over the last few years our leadership, to a man, has been incompetent at communicating with the public, with the media. It's not a trivial concern, it looks amateur hour.

Clearly Gaines is a proper operator. She knows what not to say, and the rest she communicates with clarity and confidence.

Had a real politics, 'she's running', vibe.

Over the last few years our leadership, to a man, has been incompetent at communicating with the public, with the media. It's not a trivial concern, it looks amateur hour.

Clearly Gaines is a proper operator. She knows what not to say, and the rest she communicates with clarity and confidence.

For the most part I think Simpson, under the circumstances, has been pretty good. Not perfect and prone to repeating cliches whilst defending his players by keeping any criticism of them to himself/behind closed doors

The problem was that when Fitzpatrick and Nisbett spoke they often directly contradicted what Simpson was saying or muddled the messaging by saying what they thought supporters wanted to hear

Collectively they weren’t on the same page. Sometimes you wondered if they were reading from the same book

Ideally, we don’t hear from the president (especially on football matters) and when we do hear from Pyke, as CEO, the messaging is clear, consistent and honest

Ideally, we don’t hear from the president (especially on football matters) and when we do hear from Pyke, as CEO, the messaging is clear, consistent and honest
This!
The bit i really liked from Pyke was when he was asked what expectation he had and if we would be aiming for finals he didn't project any fluff or overshoot expectations. He straight batted it pretty much with something along the lines of "We'll assess where we are at and obviously aim to do well but there's not rush to just proclaim finals as an expectation".

As a club we all know we aim for finals every year but sometimes you don't need to say it ala Flagmantle and their flag within 4 years garbage".

Looks like Hammer Brayshaw was farewelling the AFLW team based on his Instagram. Suspect he may move on from the club so he can continue with East Perth.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Surely Nisbett's son is gone then, a nepotistic hire if there ever was one.

Why?

Just because he’s Trevor’s son doesn’t automatically mean he’s doing a poor job. He could be doing a fantastic job for all we know even if he may have been a nepotistic hire to begin with

I’d also suggest that over the last 3 years, certainly the last 3 drafts when we’ve actually had some actual picks to use, the recruiting department has been one area that’s actually functioned well.

From the outside we can only guess at what Todd’s contribution to that success has been

I’m sure he’ll be judged on his merits one way or the other

Every likelihood the changes are the result of O’Brien either retiring or stepping back as there was talk a year or so back that he might be retiring

Last edited:
Why?

Just because he’s Trevor’s son doesn’t automatically mean he’s doing a poor job. He could be doing a fantastic for all we know even if he may have been a nepotistic hire to begin with

I’d also suggest that over the last 3 years, certainly the last 3 drafts when we’ve actually had some actual picks to use, the recruiting department has been one area that’s actually functioned well.

From the outside we can only guess at what Todd’s contribution to that success has been

I’m sure he’ll be judged on his merits one way of the other

Every likelihood the changes are the result of O’Brien either retiring or stepping back as there was talk a year or so back that he might be retiring

Thanks for standing up for me Keys, you've always been my favourite uncle, despite being on the RSPCA watch list for your involvement in the black market crow carcass trade you're a decent sort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at least he's young, no one in that recruiting department is under the age of 55 and it's an embarrassment

I don't give a flying * how old they are, all I care about is, if they nail most of their picks.

They aren't there for a photo shoot, they are there to build a list.

Surely Nisbett's son is gone then, a nepotistic hire if there ever was one.

I would counter that school of thought, by remarking that since he had more of a prolific profile, within the recruiting department our recruiting has very much been on the improve.

Be that coincidence ....... or could it be that he actually contributes toward the betterment of, the list build.... who actually know on this board

Turfing someone out of a role because you don't like their surname is just so dopey.

So you are proposing guilty by association, not sure that line of thinking floats anymore.

another weird statement

Absolutely not a weird statement.

You don't want a group of people all with similar experiences and backgrounds or they will probably end up thinking the same and have similar blind spots.

Diversity helps decision making, even if it's just having someone push back forcing others to articulate their justification.

Am not across the background of our recruiting staff, so there might be a huge range, but you don't want them all agreeing.

Toddy_Nesbitt anything you want to share with us?

I think the main thing I want out of this, and I am sure all fans are the same, is that staff should be in roles on merit. Not because of their last name or who they know, but because they are a leader in their field.

I know a child of a CEO, who is very good in their field, however, they are hesitant to work under their parent due to the perceived notion of how/why they are there.

I sense Don has a no bull**** approach and will not hesitate to spend a bit of money to make us great again.

Absolutely not a weird statement.

You don't want a group of people all with similar experiences and backgrounds or they will probably end up thinking the same and have similar blind spots.

You've simply looked at a bunch of blokes you know nothing about and make a blanket statement, simply because they look the 'same' to you.

Diversity helps decision making, even if it's just having someone push back forcing others to articulate their justification.

When has having a diversity hire for the sake of it ended ever ended well? You want to hire the most suitable people for the role, not people who 'look' different.

That's how you end up having issues and underperforming.

Am not across the background of our recruiting staff, so there might be a huge range, but you don't want them all agreeing.

1. You admit to not knowing the background of the recruitment team, yet you've made an assumption that their makeup isn't 'good' for no reason, other than they are a bunch of white blokes of similar age.

2. How do you know they all agree??

I dunno, diversity in selection panels is generally beneficial when making recruitment decisions. Maybe having a youngun in the group helps avoid certain biases
That may be the case when people are flicking through resumes and call someone in for an hour long interview.

It's entirely different when you've got a group of people who have been watching these kids for over 2 years and know them quite well already.

I'd say the fact that WCE have recruitment players from a number of different backgrounds lately would indicate they're not prone to certain 'biases'.

It appears more so that they're recruiting for other criteria, such as size, speed and strength, than anything else.

That may be the case when people are flicking through resumes and call someone in for an hour long interview.

It's entirely different when you've got a group of people who have been watching these kids for over 2 years and know them quite well already.

I'd say the fact that WCE have recruitment players from a number of different backgrounds lately would indicate they're not prone to certain 'biases'.

It appears more so that they're recruiting for other criteria, such as size, speed and strength, than anything else.
You realise we are not talking about “diversity hires” right? Not suggesting we should be recruiting more players who have different skin colour, which is what you have assumed.

I’m saying you want a range of perspectives within the group who are making recruitment decisions.

And no this not woke. Not all biases are sociocultural

Remove this Banner Ad

Back