Analysis Back to The Future, Re-Developing Victoria Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dead set waste if its just for the AFLW.

You need to let go of this BEEG.:)

AFLW is here to stay, and it will grow. Using Vic Park as our women's home ground is just a brilliant idea and I can't wait to see our girls play there.

If you don't like the idea, fair enough, but you also don't have to attend. And you are a paid up member of the Pies, you could always ask that your $$$ be used on priorities other than the AFLW.

Yep drew big crowds, how much were tickets again? Ohhhhh that's right attendance was free, let's see how many turn up when people actually have to pay.
Too right
I can hear the thud from here once some hard earned has to change hand.
No more FREE entertainment in the park.

What misinformation? The part where people are speculating about redevelopment??
Not that it is ever likely to happen

The Council (elected Councillors) is a reflection of the Community
The Council will never let the site they own ever again become a "Stadium".
It will never be anything more than it currently is and perhaps even that will eventually be scaled back.

Not that it is ever likely to happen

The Council (elected Councillors) is a reflection of the Community
The Council will never let the site they own ever again become a "Stadium".
It will never be anything more than it currently is and perhaps even that will eventually be scaled back.

Time will tell. I'd be surprised if the council didn't allow some sort of redevelopment of Vic Park to better cater for women's football. State government can override council edicts anyhow.

You try and watch TAC cup footy there and by the time you find a park you have to run half a marathon to get to the ground

Parking isn't flash at Vic Park either.

You need to let go of this BEEG.:)

AFLW is here to stay, and it will grow. Using Vic Park as our women's home ground is just a brilliant idea and I can't wait to see our girls play there.

If you don't like the idea, fair enough, but you also don't have to attend. And you are a paid up member of the Pies, you could always ask that your $$$ be used on priorities other than the AFLW.

Laughable we were promised as supporters that our membership dollars wouldn't impact the Netball and AFLW teams, another lie from the club, I don't have an issue with the game, I have an issue with the club pissing away massive amount of dollars and not even charging people at the gate like come on, AFL and clubs need to back themselves in if its as good as all you say people will pay and buy memberships to see the game.

Last edited:

Laughable we were promised as supporters that our membership dollars wouldn't impact the Netball and W,AFL teams, another lie from the club, I don't have an issue with the game, I have an issue with the club pissing away massive amount of dollars and not even charging people at the gate like come on, AFL and clubs need to back themselves in if its as good as all you say people will pay and buy memberships to see the game.

Membership income isn't the only source income that can be used for AFLW and netball. I also think the AFLW and netball teams will attract their own sponsorship over time and there'll also be an AFLW broadcast rights deal at some stage which add more to the AFLW coffers, they'll essentially be self-sufficient.

I also think we'll see a shift in how membership deals are packaged so that people can nominate which of the teams they want their hard-earned contributing to, even if that requires paying a premium to be a member aligned to more than 1 of the teams.

You can just get off the train and you are there it's what one extra stop out of the city compared to the G

Princess park is serviced by trams unless I'm mistaken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time will tell. I'd be surprised if the council didn't allow some sort of redevelopment of Vic Park to better cater for women's football. State government can override council edicts anyhow.

Ministers can issue planning permits which overrides council, however in this instant the council owns the ground, theoretically they would be the ones seeking a permit from the minister, which they have no cause to do as they can issue their own permits.

That's the issue, they are the owners, it's up to them if they want it redeveloped or not.

Amongst all the headline grabbing money for the MCG and Etihad....
$2 million has been promised by State government to improve Victoria Park facilities.

Change rooms, Scoreboard, public toilets... hopefully improved lighting.... but maybe that's a stretch. $2million doesn't buy much these days.

Looks like this is driven by the Holden Centres inability to adequately host AFLW games. Hopefully it leads to ALL VFL and AFLW games at Vic Park from then on.

Laughable we were promised as supporters that our membership dollars wouldn't impact the Netball and AFLW teams, another lie from the club, I don't have an issue with the game, I have an issue with the club pissing away massive amount of dollars and not even charging people at the gate like come on, AFL and clubs need to back themselves in if its as good as all you say people will pay and buy memberships to see the game.

LOL

And hopefully the City of Yarra agree to spend the money and let us play our women's team there.

It would be awesome if we played all the AFLW games there Vicky Park.

And hopefully the City of Yarra agree to spend the money and let us play our women's team there.

I think constitutionally the State government supersedes council. So if the upgrade goes ahead then its a given AFLW games will be there. Of course the council could take it to court if they disagreed.

Also, if it's for AFLW then I think the Greens council will approve anyway - daytime matches, maybe not night time games. The ground gets an upgrade without the council having to pay for it.

Might also mean that Vic Park becomes the home ground for a VFLW team.... Collingwood aligned or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back