Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll offer the money, but we won't offer the same draft collateral or picks. Fairly likely to be the Hawks, as it stands right now. Hasn't been much linking us, but fair few whispers linking the Hawks last season, and now contract details and pick offers coming out this season.

Nothing there for us. Be pretty surprised if he ends up anywhere but the Hawks now, tbh.
Not sure you can offer elite money and not elite picks.

Enjoy Hawthorn Bailey, doubt we offer 5 years without some serious clauses in there. Would not want to give up our first given where we're currently at. Hawthorn's first would be highway robbery.
The Dogs offering a 2 year deal was them conceding defeat on Baz. There more interested in keeping JUH and English and will do what they can to make it happen. Been putting in the work for a long time we have.

He’s hard to rate given the ACL, but Smith has the potential to be an excellent inside mid. He was just stuck behind Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar and Dunkley to start his career and along with Macrae was given a lot less true mid opportunities last year as we rode the Bont, Libba & Treloar combo.

What are people think his worth? A pick between 10-20 ?

Uninjured id say top 10 for sure. Off the acl a mid first (say 10-15) and minor steak knives is about it i reckon.

What are people think his worth? A pick between 10-20 ?
I think looking at trades for similar players gives an idea.

I think most recent similar trade was Adam Cerra.

He went for pick 6 and a 3rd rounder.

Take some off that given Cerra was 2 years younger and Baz’s ACL.

So for me something near pick 10 yes. Something near pick 20 no.

I think looking at trades for similar players gives an idea.

I think most recent similar trade was Adam Cerra.

He went for pick 6 and a 3rd rounder.

Take some off that given Cerra was 2 years younger and Baz’s ACL.

So for me something near pick 10 yes. Something near pick 20 no.
Not sure it's that comparable to Cerra for the reasons you listed. I'd give up pick 10, but I'm more pro-smith than most cats fans

He’s worth a first rounder. Makes it hard as it then depends on where that team finishes on the ladder this year.

Pick 2-6 is too high and I’d expect we’d obviously have to then give something back.

Pick 13-18 I think is too low and something else would have to be thrown in.

Is that a fair comment?

Last edited:
He’s worth a first rounder. Makes it hard as it then depends on where that team finishes on the ladder this year.

Pick 2-6 is too high and I’d expect we’d obviously have to then give something back.

Pick 13-18 I think is too low and something else would have to be thrown in.

Is that a fair comment?
Yeah, fair enough that neither fan base will truly like it

I can’t see any club using a top 6 pick on him, even with something back.

Has his strengths and walks into any side, but has distinct weaknesses that I’ve seen no improvement on. “Run & gun” at all costs is not always the best move, he’s like a better Zac Jones + a mullet.

Pick 8-10 requires something back, pick 20 too low straight up, reckon pick 14-16 is sweet spot for straight trade but you know both list managers will argue for 9 days over a future 3rd.

I can’t see any club using a top 6 pick on him, even with something back.

Has his strengths and walks into any side, but has distinct weaknesses that I’ve seen no improvement on. “Run & gun” at all costs is not always the best move, he’s like a better Zac Jones + a mullet.

Pick 8-10 requires something back, pick 20 too low straight up, reckon pick 14-16 is sweet spot for straight trade but you know both list managers will argue for 9 days over a future 3rd.
Yeah but he's really handsome. That's gotta count for something, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine the calendars we could sell to lonely middle aged women. Trade in Dev Robertson and Pat Lipinski and we've bought ourselves another stand
I hear we're targeting Archie Perkins for this exact reason.

Why do you think Scotty has dropped 10kg, covered himself in fake tan and grown the beard? It's clear we've got other goals outside of football now.

Might as well bring Benny Cousins out of retirement too. First coach to be in the men for all seasons calendar.

10+ for mine. Nice player that had some great games but disposal a legitimate concern. His kicking against us in that final was just a massive issue but he’s got enough other traits to make up for and still be elite.

No ACL and possibly could have justified a top 10 pick if a team had it. Probably won’t help Dogs have probably made a decision to not really fight to keep him due to other priorities. Feels like that kind of stuff always impacts value a little bit

Imagine the calendars we could sell to lonely middle aged women. Trade in Dev Robertson and Pat Lipinski and we've bought ourselves another stand

We’ve learnt from the calendar of years gone by featuring Ling, Forssman and Scratcher Neal which is still available at all disreputable bookstores.

10+ for mine. Nice player that had some great games but disposal a legitimate concern. His kicking against us in that final was just a massive issue but he’s got enough other traits to make up for and still be elite.

No ACL and possibly could have justified a top 10 pick if a team had it. Probably won’t help Dogs have probably made a decision to not really fight to keep him due to other priorities. Feels like that kind of stuff always impacts value a little bit

Given our start and our draw, seems likely our pick will be post 10. Both sides can haggle over swapping 3rds and 4ths, although Mackie is not in that role anymore - which is a shame.

I would love to bring Mackie back and then he just does a simple, no fuss, reasonable trade and walks out.
Port front office in shambles when they see Mackie selling Esava as a "gun" and dragging it the length of Trade Period but being totally reasonable with Bailey Smith and getting it done on the first day lol

Arrive
Quietly Do Trade
Leave

Wont be a dog next year

Hawks front runner
Geelong got an iron in the fire but concentrating on someone else alluded to in this thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back