Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

But what's English gonna command in the new deal? To keep WC at bay? Would have to be around $1.2m a year for say 5?

The eagles aren’t even in the race is what the media are saying - they are out. Think a mil a year gets it done based on his current output and lack of offers. Hes lucky to be on that (in my view).

One thing that is glossed over when discussing the extensions around the Dogs is the gap between existing salary and new salary is not that big for most of the guys. Marra will have a big bump but guys like Naughton, English and Baz were/already are on $800kish.

Factor in the salary cap rise and it is doable, assuming there aren’t offers of $1.2m+ out there for Tim and Baz (which I don’t think there are).

Last edited:

One thing that is glossed over when discussing the extensions around the Dogs is the gap between existing salary and new salary is not that big for most of the guys. Marra will have a big bump but guys like Naughton, English and Baz are were/already are on $800kish.

Factor in the salary cap rise and it is doable, assuming there aren’t offers of $1.2m+ out there for Tim and Baz (which I don’t think there are).
With cap increases I think baz will run close to 1.2 but I think you'll have cap for it regardless

$1.2m would be a massive risk for a player who doesn’t have any form at AFL level as an inside mid. You can discard the two finals games where he kicked 3 and 4 goals as those were one-offs. But to pry someone out you usually have to pay up.

Big Hawks fan growing up, to play with a good mate from his Xavier days and be part of Sam’s vision …… it’s not always about the money. If that is the deciding factor for Bailey don’t want him

Last edited:
It’d be right if it were hawks f1 & f2.

But Pies f1 will probably be 20+ after all the father son and academy bids.

Hawks pick 8 this year and future 2nd is right imo. At his peak he is worth way more, but due to his ACL and off field issues his value drops a bit.

Don’t forget how good he was in 2021 & 2022. One of if not the best young mid in the comp. Second in the Gary Aryes award.
Despite numerous people telling you, you refuse to understand how this works.
Sometimes you get bargains, sometimes you get ripped off
If Collingwood offer Smith good money, and he nominates them, that's where he will end up.
Whatever picks Hawthorn have will mean nothing.

Despite numerous people telling you, you refuse to understand how this works.
Sometimes you get bargains, sometimes you get ripped off
If Collingwood offer Smith good money, and he nominates them, that's where he will end up.
Whatever picks Hawthorn have will mean nothing.

It doesn’t work like that, Dogs can say no, he’s not a free agent. I encourage you to do some research on the topic.

From a good source, Pies are out of the Baz race. They have realised they don’t have the currency to get the trade done. It’s between Hawks and Dogs.

It doesn’t work like that, Dogs can say no, he’s not a free agent. I encourage you to do some research on the topic.

From a good source, Pies are out of the Baz race. They have realised they don’t have the currency to get the trade done. It’s between Hawks and Dogs.

Clubs also don’t go back to the player to say, no, you’re going to “Club X”, because Club X are offering us a better trade deal.

Hes out of contract - he gets to where he desires. If dogs say no, we risk losing him for nothing and he nominates for the draft (never gets to that point).

It’s between Hawks and Dogs.

Someone here said we were in the lead with $1.2M per year offer.
Others are saying we have no chance.

Surely it's somewhere in the middle for all 4 involved?

Pies: Best shot at flag but least money and probably won't get guaranteed midfield role.
Cats: Gets guaranteed midfield spot and close connection to Cotton On, plus good sized contract
Hawks: Grew up Hawks nuffie. Can offer most money and biggest role.
Dogs: Familiarity, can get a decent contract but won't get the role and Bevo is still there.

Someone here said we were in the lead with $1.2M per year offer.
Others are saying we have no chance.

Surely it's somewhere in the middle for all 4 involved?

Pies: Best shot at flag but least money and probably won't get guaranteed midfield role.
Cats: Gets guaranteed midfield spot and close connection to Cotton On, plus good sized contract
Hawks: Grew up Hawks nuffie. Can offer most money and biggest role.
Dogs: Familiarity, can get a decent contract but won't get the role and Bevo is still there.

I’d argue staying or going to Hawks would be his best shot at a flag. This is next year we’re taking about. Pies and Geelong are not long for a rebuild, Hawks are getting closer to being competitive and dogs have an elite young spine, just need the speed which he brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d argue staying or going to Hawks would be his best shot at a flag. This is next year we’re taking about. Pies and Geelong are not long for a rebuild, Hawks are getting closer to being competitive and dogs have an elite young spine, just need the speed which he brings.
People have been saying for years that Geelong will be rebuilding soon and it hasn’t happened

Respectfully disagree re pies. If they manage to jag a gun key forward free agent, plus add Baz, they are going to continue to be contenders. I mean, who wouldn’t want to go there right now?

And the cats just manage to keep winning under Chris Scott.

Respectfully disagree re pies. If they manage to jag a gun key forward free agent, plus add Baz, they are going to continue to be contenders. I mean, who wouldn’t want to go there right now?

And the cats just manage to keep winning under Chris Scott.
Respectfully disagree about the Pies.
Oldest list in the comp with only 1 top 10 pick under 28 years old on the list(Nick D). There is no gun key forward available for them as a FA.

With the amount of players they need to replace over the next 1-2 years they are a very big chance of dropping off the cliff right when Tassie start sucking up all the top end picks. Horrible timing.

Cats have at least kept rolling over players in bringing in young talent(Bruhn, Henry, Clarke, O’Sullivan).

Respectfully disagree about the Pies.
Oldest list in the comp with only 1 top 10 pick under 28 years old on the list(Nick D). There is no gun key forward available for them as a FA.

With the amount of players they need to replace over the next 1-2 years they are a very big chance of dropping off the cliff right when Tassie start sucking up all the top end picks. Horrible timing.

Cats have at least kept rolling over players in bringing in young talent(Bruhn, Henry, Clarke, O’Sullivan).
Daicos is masking the list issues.

Pendles, Mitchell, Sidebottom, Crisp, Elliot, Howe, Miocheck, Cox will all be retiring in the next two years.

Degoey, Moore, Noble, Markov, Cameron, McStay, Maynard will all be 28 or older by the end of the year.

Doubt Baz will see the appeal, its either us or cats.

Daicos is masking the list issues.

Pendles, Mitchell, Sidebottom, Crisp, Elliot, Howe, Miocheck, Cox will all be retiring in the next two years.

Degoey, Moore, Noble, Markov, Cameron, McStay, Maynard will all be 28 or older by the end of the year.

Doubt Baz will see the appeal, its either us or cats.
Chance Libba is forced to retire. If that is the case there will not only be a full time midfield spot but also extra funds.

Inside word on our board is there is a 75% he stays now and 100% if Libba retires.

Who knows.

Chance Libba is forced to retire. If that is the case there will not only be a full time midfield spot but also extra funds.

Inside word on our board is there is a 75% he stays now and 100% if Libba retires.

Who knows.
Is this a future with Bevo?

Did you miss the post above yours?
Man, Bevo isn’t ‘stepping aside of his own accord’. He’s contracted until the end of 2025. He’ll need to be tapped on the shoulder and paid out, just like any other coach/player moved on before their contract is up. I genuinely can’t see Bevo as the type to pull the pin OF HIS OWN ACCORD with one year to go (as a competitor, as someone who doesn’t want to lose out on approx. 7 figures).

Gut feeling but if Libba doesn't go on I think Baz will stay.

This isn't the Libba thread but I really hope he calls time on his career, very scary how many knocks he's had. He has a long life ahead of him and he's had a heck of a career + a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back