Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Remove this Banner Ad

Goes to show how good I think Oakland are becoming. I thought as a whole it was our best performed game of the year... and we lost

- WRs dropping some gimme passes with no pressure hurt at crucial times
- O line massively struggled. think we had about 8 or 9 holding calls against us... which pretty much stopped 8 or 9 extra sacks
- Flacco had a down-ish day, but im not going to point the finger at him too hard, he pretty much had his 3 step drop and had to get rid of it coz he was under pressure

Though his final drive to put us in game winning fg position was terrible, couple of clear underthrown passes.
- Front 7 struggled to get any kind of pressure on Carr, got a couple of sacks but for the most part Carr had plenty of time in the pocket
- Secondary was impressive (considering my low expectations for them) but let the team down in crunch situations.
- Marquette King... wow has that guy got a leg. Proud owner of him in my fantasy league

Those 4 points are on 4 easily identifiable people:
- James Hurst was the cause of most of the problems with the OL (I have no idea why he's still on the roster as he has been consistently terrible)
- The lack of pressure is due to Dean Pees and his fairly vanilla scheme
- Shareece Wright was responsible for at least 2 of those big moments where the secondary broke down. He's good against the run, but he's not a starting calibre CB in terms of coverage skills

Those 4 points are on 4 easily identifiable people:
- James Hurst was the cause of most of the problems with the OL (I have no idea why he's still on the roster as he has been consistently terrible)
- The lack of pressure is due to Dean Pees and his fairly vanilla scheme
- Shareece Wright was responsible for at least 2 of those big moments where the secondary broke down. He's good against the run, but he's not a starting calibre CB in terms of coverage skills
Kendrick Lewis was very late in reading that last TD pass by Oak.

Zuttah and Jensen both gave away 2 holding calls that I can remember, and Khalil Mack managed to beat both tackles as he lined up on both sides of the line on occasion

Mack gets held a lot, you guys were just unlucky a few got picked up for once. And pretty sure you had no sacks. We have protected Carr well (helps having that beastly O lineman we got from you) :D

The O line was shocking, missed Stanley badly, Hurst is just :huh:
The drops from Moore, Perriman and mostly Aiken who clearly has taken a backwards step this year was disapointing.
I do worry that we rely so much on two guys over 32 in Suggs and Dumervil to get any pressure, yeah the Oakland of line is great but we barely even touched Carr, but that is also because Pees is just horrible and he basically gave them the go ahead TD by playing over the top soft coverage.

The O line was shocking, missed Stanley badly, Hurst is just :huh:
The drops from Moore, Perriman and mostly Aiken who clearly has taken a backwards step this year was disapointing.
I do worry that we rely so much on two guys over 32 in Suggs and Dumervil to get any pressure, yeah the Oakland of line is great but we barely even touched Carr, but that is also because Pees is just horrible and he basically gave them the go ahead TD by playing over the top soft coverage.

The O line and D coach cost us the game. Fix either and we win.

Kendrick Lewis was very late in reading that last TD pass by Oak.
What's new?

Zuttah and Jensen both gave away 2 holding calls that I can remember, and Khalil Mack managed to beat both tackles as he lined up on both sides of the line on occasion
If it were up to me and we had a healthy roster, neither would start. Mack beating Wagner doesn't concern me as much given its expected

What's new?

If it were up to me and we had a healthy roster, neither would start. Mack beating Wagner doesn't concern me as much given its expected
Losing KO has turned out to hurt much more than I thought, with Zuttah and who ever is at LG are just not good enough.
Stanley and Yanda are great and Wagner is serviceable but the line needs some more quality from the draft next year.

Losing KO has turned out to hurt much more than I thought, with Zuttah and who ever is at LG are just not good enough.
Stanley and Yanda are great and Wagner is serviceable but the line needs some more quality from the draft next year.
not too many teams pay premium dollars for 2 guards.
Yes it hurts, but the reality of salary cap management was that it was him or Yanda.

Have to trust Ozzie and co to draft and develop

not too many teams pay premium dollars for 2 guards.
Yes it hurts, but the reality of salary cap management was that it was him or Yanda.

Have to trust Ozzie and co to draft and develop

IIRC Chicago has two elite level guards now that they signed Sitton.

All that means is that pass rushers have a choice between going around the outside of them or straight in between them. :p

You can carry one crappy linesman, although ideally not at tackle, but having the whole left side replaced with spares is a recipe for disaster for any side. I would've rathered Yanda push out to tackle for the game, because it's easier to cover two crappy guards.

IIRC Chicago has two elite level guards now that they signed Sitton.

All that means is that pass rushers have a choice between going around the outside of them or straight in between them. :p

You can carry one crappy linesman, although ideally not at tackle, but having the whole left side replaced with spares is a recipe for disaster for any side. I would've rathered Yanda push out to tackle for the game, because it's easier to cover two crappy guards.
ok, let me rephrase
"not too many good teams pay premium dollars for 2 guards." Dallas also has a very good O-line, but I think at least 3 of those starters are still on rookie deals. That line will be picked apart over the next few years
When you're looking to solidify your roster with highly paid, elite players. Guards aren't generally a high priority.
O-lineman are definitely underrated in today's game, but even in that, tackles are generally more valuable than guards

Our edge rushers are getting old and we need to replace them too.... LG is a huge need and also need a better corner (like always).
A month into the season and there are 3 glaring holes in the roster. This needs to be addressed in the off season.
At least we aren't the browns!

Our edge rushers are getting old and we need to replace them too....

I thought we'd brought in some early talent this year.

We've moved Correa in to ILB, and Kaufisi is on IR. :'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our edge rushers are getting old and we need to replace them too.... LG is a huge need and also need a better corner (like always).
A month into the season and there are 3 glaring holes in the roster. This needs to be addressed in the off season.
Did Alex Lewis die in the last week and I missed the news or something?

And as for not paying a premium for 2 Guards, I'm pretty sure we were thinking about keeping KO at LT when we made an offer to him just before the FA season opened back in March

Did Alex Lewis die in the last week and I missed the news or something?

And as for not paying a premium for 2 Guards, I'm pretty sure we were thinking about keeping KO at LT when we made an offer to him just before the FA season opened back in March
yeah, because he wanted plenty of coin and the only way they could justify it would be to pay him as a tackle.
In the end Oakland offered a lot more, and he felt slighted by the ravens offer

Also think that WR is also another need, can't see Smith going after this season, Perriman is very raw and may take time and Aiken doesn't cut it.

Also think that WR is also another need, can't see Smith going after this season, Perriman is very raw and may take time and Aiken doesn't cut it.

Every time I heard fantasy commentators talk up Aiken before the season all I could think of was "you have never ever seen him play, have you". Every time I watch him he strikes me as the guy that will catch 60-70% of his targets for about 10 yards a pop. That's fine for a WR4 on a team but that's not starting WR material unless you're missing half your team to IR (hi, 2015!).

I'd say our biggest needs at this stage for next off-season would be CB, WR and Safety with either an Edge Rusher or Centre depending on what Za'Darius Smith/Correa/Judon and Urschel look like respectively.

That said, I'd be surprised if we take a CB high, even if it looks like the 1st round will be stacked with quality corners

Game management continues to be an issue for me. Accepting the penalty on a failed 3rd down that turns into a TD instead of a FG.
Going for 2 instead of just taking the points and momentum. Plus we knew Flacco had no time at all making the go for 2 such an incredible low percentage play.

Game management continues to be an issue for me. Accepting the penalty on a failed 3rd down that turns into a TD instead of a FG.
Going for 2 instead of just taking the points and momentum. Plus we knew Flacco had no time at all making the go for 2 such an incredible low percentage play.
Yeah accepting that penalty was dumb, I just knew that we'd play far too soft coverage and they'd get it and they did.

Yeah accepting that penalty was dumb, I just knew that we'd play far too soft coverage and they'd get it and they did.

I have always hated how that penalty is enforced. It allows an offense to aggressively target the defense where either nothing gets accepted OR you get a new down.
I have always been surprised that no one has got the rule changed after all these years.

That was s**t.
3 things I learnt from that were.
1. Dumb decisions lost that game, Harbaugh going with a trick play on a chip shot field goal, just take the three points John. Also Mosley so picked the ball off then dives for the endzone to only fumble through it and give the back back to Washington, just let the offense get the TD. And finally West was 96 yrds off 11 carries yet we pass far too much.
2. Injuries are killing us, no Stanley, Smith, Wright, and Wagner. We don't have depth on the O line and we couldn't pass protect at all.
3. No more RB by committee just go with West.

So frustrating. Only managing 10 points at home is ridiculous. Only 8 rushing attempts after the first quarter. Two turnovers deep in Washington territory and we net 0 points.

We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back