Review Banners Bangs Big, Bye Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

The lack of overlap from kick outs was frustrating
They need to get Clarke more involved there
Aish and Clarke took the kick outs in the first half and then they swapped to Ryan in the second half. Bizarre.
Surely the coaches can see Ryan apart from the set play to Fyfe up the middle doesn’t want to take the challenging kick so goes long to the contest.
It’s just so predictable.

Interesting to see them shitting on Khamis, who I thought was pretty solid.
Nah, he was close to best on for us, it left me wondering if they had a few injuries because that dude was out of position or dropping marks constantly

Aish and Clarke took the kick outs in the first half and then they swapped to Ryan in the second half. Bizarre.
Surely the coaches can see Ryan apart from the set play to Fyfe up the middle doesn’t want to take the challenging kick so goes long to the contest.
Especially late in games, v Carlton and Port. It’s obvious what Ryan does in kick ins. He can roost it but it’s pointless when it’s just a spoil forward and suddenly it’s inside 50 again.

Nah, he was close to best on for us, it left me wondering if they had a few injuries because that dude was out of position or dropping marks constantly

Yeah it might just be the first quarter clouding my assessment a bit - felt like he was on the end of almost all of our forward entries.

Interesting to see them shitting on Khamis, who I thought was pretty solid.
Thought he was okay as a young prospect.
Should apply heat on Jones. Rather easy one on one, and couldn’t keep up with Treacy. He’s a one trick pony- intercept marks, and if he doesn’t get his way, he’s a massive liability

The positives out of this game are crazy
  • Cooper ******* Simpson
  • Banfield with an incredible last quarter
  • Chappy back was so so good
  • Prime Fyfe (set shots and all) just reminded everyone who he is
  • Treacy is becoming an actual star

My favourite things about this game (I know some have probably already said) that were different from previous games.
1. Our forward attacking handball (Especially Fyfe and Serong) that resulted in great chains of ball movement.
2. Our two debutants. That first possession and side step from Simpson is why everyone is huge on him. It’s also a reminder of why Johnson is ahead of Erasmus (one has that ability and one hasn’t).
3. Josh Treacy’s sticky hands
4. James Aish intercept marking (?? How tall is he). PS I know ow he f$&&ed up left foot kick inside to give Bulldogs their first goal but he also hit up Freddy for his goal).
5. Seeing Chappy back with his pace, agility, clean hands and out marking English and Darcy in a pack mark.
6. Emmett getting involved in running scoring chains.
7. Darcy total domination in the ruck and his partnership with Fyfe at stoppages was something to watch

I know things like Clark’s run was sensational but he has being doing that most of the year so the above only includes changes I saw from previous games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fyfe has been leaping a bit last two games. Bit like old Avatar Fyfe.
So good he's got the strength and confidence to go for those again.
Probably the best part of his game, his aerial ability and it's been missing for a long time
I think he trusts his shoulders now after having a lot of problems with them.

In fact he looks in the best physical and mental shape he has been for years.

Having a full pre season has given him the confidence to go all out.

He is now the icing instead of the cake.

Especially late in games, v Carlton and Port. It’s obvious what Ryan does in kick ins. He can roost it but it’s pointless when it’s just a spoil forward and suddenly it’s inside 50 again.
I was at the port game. 3 times in the last 1/4 he ignored Sharp who was 15m clear and 40 out, to bomb it long down the line.
Great for his stats but not what we needed at the time.

What irks me is why we can't seem to win the long Ryan kicks from a point. Think it was third qrter we had multiple attempts to clear it but they kept getting the repeat entry.

Note, it's not just in this game. Thinking that Ryan's kick in are predictable but if the talls can mark it they bring it to ground for mids to clear. Think this cost us in the port game

I have to bite my tongue, when we kick out from the square. There is no variety, pretty obvious where they will kick.

As an old time Full Back, you look at all options and don’t just plonk it to your talls with the long kick.

This ties in with my view of Freddie. Do his teammates think he is invisible, as I reckon he stands out really well against a green background !!!. A number of times, I’ve seen when taking a kick out that there are large areas of vacant grass, with Freddie grazing nearby. Why not kick it to space and Freddie (not being closely guarded) runs onto it, and zooms down the wing.

Think Freddie might need to raid Rhinos hair dye stash, .... got to stand out more.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned. A lot of the mistakes last night were due to players slipping over as they kicked or tried to take ground. The north east section of the ground in particular looked really muddy & loose up close on the camera. Not sure why the ground is in such bad shape. It hasn’t rained for ages. Maybe it’s over watering & lack of sun in that corner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps, but we did have one AFL key defender against the Dogs who have FOUR 2m tall marking targets ahead of the ball at times.

They should have been bombing it long to marking contests all night.
For all your wackiness T, you’re posting has been elite of late.

That’s going straight to the pool room

If anyone smarter than me ( most people ) could start a highlight clips of this team they could put this alongside the Freddy tap and the Serong SoRight goal

What irks me is why we can't seem to win the long Ryan kicks from a point. Think it was third qrter we had multiple attempts to clear it but they kept getting the repeat entry.

Note, it's not just in this game. Thinking that Ryan's kick in are predictable but if the talls can mark it they bring it to ground for mids to clear. Think this cost us in the port game
There is a point to the predictability, our players know too. Turnover on the phat side half back is worst case scenario so understandable to avoid, we'd be sending him to peel if he pulled off a couple of catastrophes a game

He does go pocket to clarke etc pretty often to allow an aggressive run/option

Think it's just the nature of kick ins, the aggressor is very much set up and in advantage

Up in Coral Bay and haven't seen the match.

People praising Scoops debut with 6 disposals and no goals? Were those 6 touches handed down from Zeus himself?

Not being sarcastic can't wait to watch the replay.

When a kid on debut tucks the ball under one arm and gets on the turbo to run around opponents then sees a great option and at full tilt just under kicks the ball to set up not one but two goals, you know he’s special.
Super quick player and makes his kicks count.
Two and a half qtrs I think he played.

Everyone talking about Fyfe but in my opinion Hayden Young was our best mid today. His 24 disposals are worth double that. Every time he kicks it we are in the box seat.
I know we’re all riding high right now and Hayden was good as usual but that was not one of his better games.
Good that you rate him as we all do but you’re a tad effusive.
Nat Fyfe on the other hand was absolutely immense; if Fyfe can maintain at least 80 % of his impact last night he will take us deep into finals territory.

Speaking of Simpson, the most impressive thing for me was his kick to Voss. The fact that he has enough power on his kick to get it over the top to where only Voss could mark it when someone else might have given it too much hang time or dropped it too short to allow the defender to spoil or intercept it.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned. A lot of the mistakes last night were due to players slipping over as they kicked or tried to take ground. The north east section of the ground in particular looked really muddy & loose up close on the camera. Not sure why the ground is in such bad shape. It hasn’t rained for ages. Maybe it’s over watering & lack of sun in that corner?
Good point.

I was watching a bit of The Game on Channel Eagle today (Please don't judge me :D).

They do the show from Optus and in the background it looked like they had a series of mobile heaters on the grass.

Hard to imagine why lack of sun is an issue given the dry spell we are having.

The way that players were slipping all over the place I think both sides were lucky to escape serious leg injuries or worse a knee.

Wrong bloody boots “E” I think too. I’ve Been to an EPL game and the pitch is watered before the game and half time. Very few players ever really slip ( Gerald at Liverpool a few years ago aside). One of my pet hates. Soccer players run 12-15 Kilometres a game too so I don’t think comfort should be an issue as is sometimes suggested why AFL players wear moulded boots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back