Player Watch Battle of the Kings: Comparison between Ben and Max so far

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The highly touted King twins are now both firing in the AFL and I thought it would be fun to do a comparison. Max was definitely considered the greater talent at the junior level and always played as a forward but his ACL injury in his draft may have equalisation (or even swayed) the battle. Ben grew up predominately playing as a defender but these days is playing as a forward. To date, they've only played against each other once at the AFL level and Ben likely took the honours that day with three goals to Max's one. Part II starts in a little under an hour from now.

Ben King
Games: 38
Goals: 62
Goals per game: 1.63
2021 goals: 20

Max King
Games: 24
Goals: 33
Goals per game: 1.38
2021 goals: 11

Feel free to add any other stats that paint the full picture. I know Max is a very good contested mark and Ben is the quicker runner of the two so they really do play differently.

Thoughts so far? Ben appears to be in front right now but also has an extra year of development up his sleeve due to Max's ACL injury.

What’s the age difference? Would be interesting to note if the younger can catch the older ...

Think Ben looks more confident in contests when I have watched Suns or Saints games. Also think Ben gets into better positions forward. But with that said I wouldn't mind Saints fans explaining why Max has 5 goal assists. Does he give it off from bad positions where as Ben takes the shot? Or does he give off joe the goose goals?

Starting to become obvious that Ben is the better shot for goal (at least at the moment). Both have had 31 shots for goal so far this season and Ben has kicked 23.8 (74%) to Max's 13.18 (41%). Max missed some very gettable goals tonight as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update at the end of round 11, 2021.

Ben King
Games: 42
Goals (Behinds): 74 (42)
Goals per game: 1.76
2021 goals (behinds): 32 (14)

Max King
Games: 28
Goals (Behinds): 35 (39)
Goals per game: 1.25
2021 goals (behinds): 13 (19)

Ben right now wins but i honestly don't care till 2023 comes around and Max is at the 50 game mark with two more pre seasons under him. Right now he looks like he needs a rest mentally.

Now that the King twins are back and both seemingly kicking lots of goals, it's probably a good time to revisit this thread. It seems like Ben is a more efficient forward than Max and a key stat in that area is the goal kicking accuracy currently sitting at 64.4% for Ben and 56.6% for Max: Here's the rest:

8F6ftbo.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back