AFL Toast Beat the giants by 20!

Remove this Banner Ad

What does Jones give us? Can't stick a mark in the forward 50 and is unreliable on goal. His contested marking and accuracy was incredible his first year playing and since then he has gone backwards.
Cast your mind back a couple of weeks and he was clunking everything and kicking goals. He had a quiet game in a scrappy contest against a really good defense last night and still got off the chain enough to get a couple of gettable shots on goal.

All the best to Voss at his new club, but unless Jones puts together a long period of really putrid form I'm pretty happy to have him over Voss.

We had too many players having minimal impact, Merrett and Parish included. We were making some dumb mistakes and GWS were opening us up on the rebound. We could easily have been 5 goals down. Regardless of the stats, that’s the reality. The second half was several notches higher in intensity and ground position. Suddenly the Giants had no way out of congestion and had to rush their disposal. That wasn’t the case in the first half. Now, I’m rapt with our performance and I think we’re playing finals style footy but the reality is we can play much better, which is a huge positive.
Your purely looking at scoreboard

Parish 2nd half didnt improve and Durham and Zerrett basically swapped halves

Our pressure was huge early on, your overlooking the most important stats to winning games and purely using the scoreboard to make up a narrative

The scoreboard is very easy to read, anyone can do that

Cast your mind back a couple of weeks and he was clunking everything and kicking goals. He had a quiet game in a scrappy contest against a really good defense last night and still got off the chain enough to get a couple of gettable shots on goal.

All the best to Voss at his new club, but unless Jones puts together a long period of really putrid form I'm pretty happy to have him over Voss.
Yeah fair call, I hope you're right.

You'll never know what the true capacity of a side is on any given night during the home and away season but I think that was probably the best Essendon performance this side of 2014.

The sides were pretty even in terms of who they had out. Both sides are in a similar vein of form. The Giants are coming off a narrow PF loss and set the early pace for the season. They are also a side that can really belt us because they can win a head to head stoppages battle with anyone but also have the outside run for circle work. The pressure and intensity was high for the whole game and the Giants jumped us out of the gate so you can be very confident that they 'turned up'.

The tactics were great, they bottle up the Giants ball movement, and gave the players a foundation to chip away at the Giants from quarter time and the players did it by bringing genuine pressure and intensity at every level.

I actually enjoy watching this Essendon even when it loses because it looks hard to play against. You can be in the right place at the right time during the season and it can throw up results that look superficially good. The simplest illustration was the game against Brisbane at the Gabba in 2021 which set records for some of the lowest pressure recorded in a game and looked like circle work. That has been a general trend for our wins against better opponents - the intensity is down, the game is played on our terms and we win. What has been happening here since the Port game looks sustainable.

The position on the ladder probably flattered a little until we won last night. We've been good side for 5 weeks now.

What does Jones give us? Can't stick a mark in the forward 50 and is unreliable on goal. His contested marking and accuracy was incredible his first year playing and since then he has gone backwards.
Sounds like a more mobile version of Voss .

Your purely looking at scoreboard

Parish 2nd half didnt improve and Durham and Zerrett basically swapped halves

Our pressure was huge early on, your overlooking the most important stats to winning games and purely using the scoreboard to make up a narrative

The scoreboard is very easy to read, anyone can do that
Thanks for being patronising.

Having played and watched a lot of footy over the years I’d like to think I have a sense for how it is played and don’t just rely on the ******* scoreboard. i don’t need the stats to tell me that we were at the mercy of a big half time deficit. Do the stats tell you how we didn’t structure-up properly, especially around congestion, allowing GWS to exit contests and how, structurally, we were vulnerable on transition? We also weren’t as intense and forward thinking in possession. I’m not saying we were uncompetitive. I’m saying we didn’t play football that can win against the best teams until the second half.

The stats that were glaring showed 20 disposals between Merrett, Parish, and Heppell, suggesting we were not getting enough from our senior accumulators to threaten GWS, and gave me hope we could win from 2 goals down. Sure, the intent was there throughout but we weren’t being smart.

Last edited:
David Rodan as a goal umpire just makes me happy

Is that the one who's always smiling when he signals a goal? If that's him then I love it, especially when it's our goals. :D

Sign Goldy to a ten year contract, trade Draper while he's worth something.
Give Stringer 2 year contract.
Durahm is an out and out gun.
What a frucking win that was. Pressure pressure pressure, BRILLIANT.

Put Stringer 30 out from goal directly in front and give him 4 kicks. However many he puts through the goals, that's how many years he gets.

Not only is Jones the preferred forward, but I also believe Caddy has a higher ceiling than Voss in the same role. I like Voss as a player but we're over saturated with better medium forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My bad, I was refering to the game before he got dropped. They got absolutely pantsed by Sydney last night only one forward kicked a single goal for them.
You were hoping we’d get to drop him instead?

I’m just kidding around…I get what you mean, don’t think he’d get a game here still though.

View attachment 1986779

Looked up what it actually means, 246 means it was 146% harder for GWS to get an effective disposal.

Coped this from someone on Reddit:

375 is if the player disposing the ball has physical contact on them while disposing of it

225 if someone is about to touch you

150 if someone is 2-3 steps away

120 if someone is corralling you

100 if its no pressure but in general play

75 if its a set kick

So on average every GWS disposal in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter had an Essendon player about tackle them or tackling them.
213 is also elite. So it’s quite a feather in the cap to play that well despite elite pressure from a top 4 team.

Put Stringer 30 out from goal directly in front and give him 4 kicks. However many he puts through the goals, that's how many years he gets.
Like it, I'll give you 2 likes. The man is a bull and very much an important part of our progression.

Having watched the replay I think that while our pressure was excellent we still look quite scrappy inside forward 50. Notwithstanding the Giants have some of the best defenders in the comp back there I think there's still a lot of room for improvement. Until we can regularly score heavily against decent sides we're always going to be within striking distance if they get a bit of a run on. I think that's probably a big part of why we're in the top 4 with a percentage of 98%. Norf and bitchmond will be a test of sorts because on exposed form we really should be burying those sides.

Something pleasing was I don't think we had anyone really drop their bundle, a few guys had quiet games but they were never completely absent, which is something I think was an issue last year.
Agree. Made a similar remark before the Eagles game. Top 4 sides bury bottom 4 sides. Again, it's weird that a game against a side like North is a very real test of where we're at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back