Ben Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I think his status gets over-inflated in hindsight, TBH.

Granted, I never viewed him from within the Perth/WA fishbowl (where it seems like he was very much a revered figure, which could have been part of the problem), but I only ever really saw him as among the top 5-10 midfielders in the league at his peak, a regular All-Australian 22/Squad of 40 type, never the clear #1 best, and certainly not "once in a generation".
Yes, well he was on the poster on my wall growing up so i suppose i am bias. West coast supporters especially rate him for his leadership not just playing abilities.

Cousins status overrated? You'd have to have your head under a rock for a ******* decade.

Maybe not under, but perhaps on it.

Sweet jesus.

He's gone to jail and on drugs. Wow what a bad person he is. So the fact he went to jail and others that were on drugs didn't makes him so bad? Laughable.

He is viewed differently to others who have fallen from grace because his drug use, criminal fraternisation etc. overlapped his playing career.

Was a sensational player, though. Top 5 Eagle no question. More of a Selwood/Hodge type inspirational gun than a Judd/Dangerfield/Ablett individual brilliance gun.

Saw the new thread on Cousins on the main board half-expecting that when i opened it up that he might be reported dead...

Dont do that to me again OP

He's gone to jail and on drugs. Wow what a bad person he is. So the fact he went to jail and others that were on drugs didn't makes him so bad? Laughable.

You know he's in jail for breaching a restraining order and for aggravated stalking?

You should talk to his ex about how bad he is. I'm sure she'd laugh.

Cousins will come good eventually, just needs to put the drive he had towards becoming an elite footballer into recovering from the train wreck his life has become. May take a long time for him to get there, but confident he has what it takes to get back on his feet once he commits to it. Sad that he hasn't been able to so far given what is on line (family, children etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know he's in jail for breaching a restraining order and for aggravated stalking?

Yeah, but to be fair there doesn't appear to be evidence he harmed his ex. He kept calling her (apparently 100s of times a day) when the restraining order forbid him from doing so. Having said that, it would be incredibly scary to have an active meth-addict in your life, especially if you had a young child together (I assume the ex is the mother?), and I can understand the need for the order. Hopefully he gets a clean 6 months under his belt, along with some therapy, although it is probably quite likely he'll have access to gear inside if he really wants it.

Yeah, but to be fair there doesn't appear to be evidence he harmed his ex. He kept calling her (apparently 100s of times a day) when the restraining order forbid him from doing so. Having said that, it would be incredibly scary to have an active meth-addict in your life, especially if you had a young child together (I assume the ex is the mother?), and I can understand the need for the order. Hopefully he gets a clean 6 months under his belt, along with some therapy, although it is probably quite likely he'll have access to gear inside if he really wants it.
failed a drug test at a recent parole hearing.

Prison is The last place he is going to get his s**t together.

This won't be popular but why should all footy people feel sorry for Ben??

He was a super player yes but he always came across arrogant and a douche from my memories growing up watching him. Why should we care more about him than most other players who were actually much better people and citizens?

He got himself into this position. Everyone acts like "oh why didn't people help him?" And "how sad it got this far" etc

He never once helped himself get out of it. I understand addiction and it eventually takes over you and that is sad but ffs he brought this on himself.

Why should I feel sorry for a guy who initially CHOSE to live the party life with drugs and beautiful women. Plenty other players chose the right path or knew when things were getting out of hand. Good on them. Cousins loved his glamour life too much and it has caught up with him.

I'd much rather feel sorry for the homeless man on the street who never had any of the luxuries that Ben had and has had tragedies in his life that weren't of his doing.

FWIW I feel for Ben's family and close friends. Do I feel sorry for Ben? Nope.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

failed a drug test at a recent parole hearing.

Prison is The last place he is going to get his s**t together.

Sad news. I imagine his minor celebrity status would do more harm than good inside too, probably plenty willing to do him the wrong kind of favours. Still think he'll turn things around when he's ready.

I would've thought he is more forgotten than criticised for his lifestyle, he almost seems beyond help.

Definitely loved watching him in his prime, doesn't mean you have to ride his utensil into his life after his footy career is over. Don't blame the general public for the medias perception of him in his post footy life , hell , don't even blame the media when he needs to make the first move to get better. Its like any illness , you need to act yourself

Cousins will come good eventually, just needs to put the drive he had towards becoming an elite footballer into recovering from the train wreck his life has become. May take a long time for him to get there, but confident he has what it takes to get back on his feet once he commits to it. Sad that he hasn't been able to so far given what is on line (family, children etc).
I don't think you understand the long-term physiological changes to the brain that heavy ice use causes. It's not just a simple matter of "committing", it's become a necessity for Cousins to be tweaked up on shards just to feel any kind of pleasure at all. Even after months of abstinence from the stuff he will still crave it, and though certain parts of his brain may recover to an extent, his behaviour, memory and judgment will not.

Knew this would come up and was going to post it earlier.

The same ex who during his restraining order would call him to get tickets to events etc? And let him see the kids when she wanted something. Double standards. Oh how scared she was.

Yeah, that ex.

Knew this would come up and was going to post it earlier.

The same ex who during his restraining order would call him to get tickets to events etc? And let him see the kids when she wanted something. Double standards. Oh how scared she was.

Yeah, that ex.

Yeah, that's why he went to jail, because his ex kept badgering him for tickets. Cos judges are dumb as *.

Yeah, that's why he went to jail, because his ex kept badgering him for tickets. Cos judges are dumb as ****.
Now you're being the woman who twists things and puts words in my mouth.

She had a restraining order on him, yet called him up and saw him when it suited her.

Enjoy your day.

Guy has been giving more chances than any other footballer in history to have his life back. At some point, the guy has to want it himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back