Best 22 for 2009!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't rate Newton high at all. I think that Newton may be delisted or traded at the end of the season if he does nothing again this year. But Robbo will retire at the ned of this season or the next season. Which will leave Miller, Watts and Bate as KPF and who knows Garland could go Forward same with Rivers so we don't really need Newton. But that my opinion

NAB 2009 Team

FB-J.Bennell-S.Martin-C.Garland
HB-J.Grimes-J.Frawley-J.Strauss
C-S.Blease-S.Buckley-R.Petterd
HF-M.Bate-B.Miller-C.Morton
FF-A.Maric-J.Watts-A.Wonnaemirri
RR-M.Jamar-B.McLean-N.Jones
INT-K.Cheney-N.Jetta-R.Bail-J.Meeson-M.Warnock-S.Valenti
EMER-M.Newton-C.Bartram-C.Sylvia
That is my team for the first NAB Cup round against Hawthorn

I actually think that's a pretty good NAB cup team and i'd really like to see that, but i'd expect at least a couple of the older guys to play.

One or 2 things though, I'd be putting Spencer on the bench, i'd have Netwon at FF as he needs to try to prove himself and it's too much to expect Watts to play FF straight away even in a NAB cup game. Bartram is another who i think his career is on the brink, so he should be given a chance in the pre-season to show something.

But as a whole i like that side and i do hope we give plenty of young guys a run in the pre-season.

NAB 2009 Team

HB-J.Grimes-J.Frawley-J.Strauss
C-S.Blease-S.Buckley-R.Petterd
FF-A.Maric-M.Newton-A.Wonnaemirri
INT-K.Cheney-N.Jetta-J.Watts-J.Meeson-C.Bartram-S.Valenti
EMER-R.Bail-M.Warnock-C.Sylvia

Still can't find room for Spencer because both Jamar and Meeson need some more game time and do a little more. I think i've made a mistake taking Warnock off the bench and putting him on the emergency though. I'll try and make one for who we'll play next in the NAB Challenge match after we lose to Hawthorn.

Looking at the NAB Cup fixture I think we'll be playing the loser out of Carlton vs North.
I would be saying that North would lose so....

NAB Challenge Team
Melbourne vs North Melbourne

HB-C.Bartram-M.Warnock-R.Petterd
C-S.Blease-S.Buckley-J.Grimes
FF-N.Jetta-M.Newton-A.Maric
INT-A.Wonnaemirri-J.Watts-K.Cheney-J.Spencer-R.Bail-J.Frawley
EMER-S.Valenti-N.Jetta-J.Meeson

That's what I would like to see and I've tried to fit it in with Kangaroo's Team. But thats hard to do seeing that we have know idea what there lineup will be.
I've swapped Spencer and Meeson around to give them a go every second week.
And I've put Bartram at Half-Back to try and tag Harvey.

I think we need to use the NAB cup to blood a tall KPF if possible. If Zomer has a good pre-season and is promoted or if we get a tall KPF in the PSD then you would think one of them would get a go.

Can rookie listed players play in the NAB cup?

I think we need to use the NAB cup to blood a tall KPF if possible. If Zomer has a good pre-season and is promoted or if we get a tall KPF in the PSD then you would think one of them would get a go.

Can rookie listed players play in the NAB cup?
I haven't seen much of Zomer and all I new about him was that he was 190 odd cms. I have no idea where he plays.

I'm pretty sure rookie listed players can play because I went to a game at Casey earlier in the year and saw Aussie running around

I haven't seen much of Zomer and all I new about him was that he was 190 odd cms. I have no idea where he plays.

I'm pretty sure rookie listed players can play because I went to a game at Casey earlier in the year and saw Aussie running around
He's 196 cm (like Jack) and has a basketball background (like Jack). I haven't seen any footage of him unfortunately but Beats reckons he had a crack as a forward prior to injury in the reserves and that is what we need anyway.

The thing is I don't know what the cut off date is for final lists. Aussie has been upgraded already to our senior list. I am thinking it would be logical to play rookies in the NAB cup and then decide at the end of the pre-season comp if you want to upgrade them but I am not sure so I don't know the dead line if we want to upgrade Zomer. In any case the odds of having one spot open on the senior list and two rookies competing for it in the pre-season comp is pretty unlikely so I guess it isn't that much of a worry anyway. Still if anyone knows rules I'd be interested to know.

Valenti has major attiude problems, smart move by dees to keep him their, they dont want him to get to ahead of himself.

Very disappointing to see remarks like this, shows that people like you don't know him personally or professionally. If you knew him in either manner you would clearly know he has no attitude problem in the slightest. Please refrain from negative ill informed comments that serve no purpose apart from degrading our players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zomer played against Geelong in our one NAB Cup game last year.

From memory, he went alright.
Cool, hopefully he gets another stint - I wouldn't mind seeing how he goes.:thumbsu:

Cool, hopefully he gets another stint - I wouldn't mind seeing how he goes.:thumbsu:
Heres our likely best 22 in my opinion.some really good talent.....look out 2010 onwards here we come.

Backline Whelan Garland Martin

H/Backs Bruce Rivers Buckley

***Frawley,Warnock and Bell rotaing in back 6.

Centres Morton Moloney Dunn

H/Forward Davey Miller Sylvia

Forwards Wonna Watts Green
Rucks Johnson Jones Mclean
Int.Bate,Bartram,Maric,Grimes, meeson,Bell,Mcdonald,newton,robbo,blease,Strauss
Obviously this side would change pending form and injuries and opposition but i wouldnt expect to fit in any other players for 2009.

BUMP:

A few pages back someone said they wanted to see an opposition supporter have a crack at Melbourne's Best 22, here's mine:

B Whelan Garland Martin
HB Wheatley Rivers Green
C Morton Moloney Bruce
HF Davey Bate Sylvia
FF Robbo Miller Wona
R PJ Jones McLean
INT Jamar McDonald Dunn Petterd
Emg Grimes Buckley/Bell Bartram/Strauss

Watts and Blease can't qualify for B22 because they're doing school.

Whelan - Garland - Wheatley

B.Green (Hodge type role) - Rivers - Petterd

Buckley - Bruce - Morton

Sylvia - Bate - Davey

Wonaemarri - Miller/Watts - R.Robertson

P.Johnson - Jones - Mclean

Moloney, Grimes, Jamar, Bell

I think Melbourne should defiatnly improve but if they wont to improve i think the midfield needs to go from looking like Mclean, Jones, Bruce > Sylvia, Buckley and Jones/Mclean. They need pace as all modern teams do these days. I personally think Sylvia should start onball or as a centre and switch with Bruce. Buckley and Petterd could also swap.

I also think you need to start to find players to replace Wheatley and Whelan as i dont think they offer much for your future. Obviousily you have a Warnock/Martin who can hopefully hold a fullback and put Garland to a BP. Grimes and Bell on the bench can start to gradually take Whelan's spot during the year.

BUMP:

A few pages back someone said they wanted to see an opposition supporter have a crack at Melbourne's Best 22, here's mine:

B Whelan Garland Martin
HB Wheatley Rivers Green
C Morton Moloney Bruce
HF Davey Bate Sylvia
FF Robbo Miller Wona
R PJ Jones McLean
INT Jamar McDonald Dunn Petterd
Emg Grimes Buckley/Bell Bartram/Strauss

Watts and Blease can't qualify for B22 because they're doing school.
Thoughts on my line-up, didn't have time yesterday so i'll give them now.

1. Dunn is only in the team for tagging purposes.

2. Whelan & Wheatley will be the first to get the chop if they don't perform, Wheatley's kick and run should see him quite comfortably into the best 22 IMO but Bailey could take him out at any time.

3. IMO Grimes and Buckley will definitely get quite a few games next year even if there aren't many injuries. Buckley will probably line-up round 1 but if he can't kick with any great efficency he will get the axe IMO, adds some spark to the team though, i only don't have him in the best 22 because his foot skills at times leave something to be desired and it's probably crucial to have them in his position, particularly since the Dee's can get caught out on the rebound and Buckley doesn't have great defensive skills.

4. Strauss i reckon will get a couple of games for the year to emphasise the rebuild, he could either play a tagging role like Dunn or as more of a rebounder of HB.

5. Bartram and Bell to see a few games too, hopefully Frawley delivers something next year.

Apologies if any1 thinks if this is dt related but what do u guys think Brad Green's role is this year. Interested whether he will play a Hodge type role and dictate the backline + play loose man in defense or whether he will go up foward and maybe also in the midfield. Noticed he played mostly in the backline towards the end of last year. IF/When Rivers comes back, do u think his role will change???

Apologies if any1 thinks if this is dt related but what do u guys think Brad Green's role is this year. Interested whether he will play a Hodge type role and dictate the backline + play loose man in defense or whether he will go up foward and maybe also in the midfield. Noticed he played mostly in the backline towards the end of last year. IF/When Rivers comes back, do u think his role will change???
He will be playing a hodge type role all season IMO. If you're considering him for DT, get him.

strauss will definitel play i reckon because of his efficient foot skills.

Also grimes, maric, jetta, bennel(maybe), petterd will see a solid amout of game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back