Prediction Best 22 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunners extremely unlikely to play at all in 2022 surely?
We don't know that yet.
The season is a long time.
It is not like he is borderline best 22 and it is easy to leave him out.
He is our best player.
If the club expected him to be out for the entire year we would put him on the LTI list and bring in another player.
We have not done that yet.

B: Turner Mckay Corr
HB: Ziebell Walker Hall
C: Powell Phillips McDonald
HF: Thomas Comben JHF
F: Stephenson Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldy LDU Simpkin
I: Greenwood CCJ Taylor Goater

Bonar if wrist injury is fine though should take last bench spot
I name this team the land of the giants
We would be run over in every last quarter.
6 x 195cm+ guys and Goldy.

And what do you name the dees premiership team with the exact same setup

Brown McDonald Jackson May petty lever and gawn

Eagles likewise and a few other teams

It’s a better setup as allows pack marks around the ground to be able to slow down and control the play along with bail out kicks

And what do you name the dees premiership team with the exact same setup

Brown McDonald Jackson May petty lever and gawn
Melbourne had midfielders who are fully developed with massive tanks and can run 80%+ midfield time.
We have kids who are working on there tanks and need more time.
Playing a massively tall side would kill our run at this stage.
Maybe later in the year it might change but not just yet.

Melbourne had midfielders who are fully developed with massive tanks and can run 80%+ midfield time.
We have kids who are working on there tanks and need more time.
Playing a massively tall side would kill our run at this stage.
Maybe later in the year it might change but not just yet.
Again my point is the taller sides allow for less running as their is more marking Allowing the play to not be as free flowing

Again my point is the taller sides allow for less running as their is more marking Allowing the play to not be as free flowing
Sure with experienced talls who have like 6 pre seasons behind them
We have 3 of those. (Corr, Walker and Goldy)
All of Melbourne's bar Jackson fall into that category.
We finished last. With a very young list.
Saying we can play like the premiership team without even thinking about it is ludicrous.

Saying we can play like the premiership team without even thinking about it is ludicrous.
Ok this is going nowhere

Your assumption that being tall = taking marks is incorrect, clearly you've never seen Mason Cox play football.
Well yeah obviously new to the game players are going to struggle with fundamentals

But for the majority of tall players they will out mark shorter players

Last edited:
I agree with your main point.

But this pre-season is Larkey's sixth and Buckets' seventh. Its time they started being able to put their stamp on games if they're as good as we hope.

Jy's sixth pre season as well but he's only just on the cusp of being among the best in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if we are playing Comben and CCJ and Larks,
then it seems a nobrainer for Goater to replace Walker otherwise v slow outfit

And maybe CCJ can be used to play the Big Man Back, a la Big Boy McEvoy

B: Turner Mckay Ziebell
HB: Hall Corr McDonald
C: Powell Phillips Polec/Scott
HF: Thomas Comben JHF
F: Stephenson Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldy LDU Simpkin
I: Greenwood CCJ Taylor Goater

I agree with your main point.

But this pre-season is Larkey's sixth and Buckets' seventh. Its time they started being able to put their stamp on games if they're as good as we hope.

Jy's sixth pre season as well but he's only just on the cusp of being among the best in the comp.
Yep Jy has a good tank now days.
After him our next best would probably be LDU or Taylor.
That will need to improve IMO.
And it will with time.
The top 4 teams have like 5 guys with Jy's tank.

You've got Cunners instead of Comben, hardly swapping an elite runner in for a CHF, and then you have Jed instead of Goater. Jed sits on an average of 70% TOG over the last 3 years. Again, hardly an elite runner!

I like TZ's team, except Polec will play ahead of Goater.

You've got Cunners instead of Comben, hardly swapping an elite runner in for a CHF, and then you have Jed instead of Goater. Jed sits on an average of 70% TOG over the last 3 years. Again, hardly an elite runner!

I like TZ's team, except Polec will play ahead of Goater.
3 seasoned mids in Cunners, Jed and Polec
vs
Comben 1 AFL game, 1 VFL game and 1 pre season (the others he has been injured)
Goater a great young kid but also Victorian and has played bugger all footy the last 2 years. (2 Victorian kids made round 1 debuts last year Laz and Harry Sharp)
Taylor who admittedly does run pretty well and is a fair point.

Last edited:
3 seasoned mids in Cunners, Jed and Polec
vs
Comben 1 AFL game, 1 VFL game and 1 pre season (the others he has been injured)
Goater a great young kid but also Victorian and has played bugger all footy the last 2 years. (2 Victorian kids made round 1 debuts last year Laz and Harry Sharp)
Taylor who admittedly does run pretty well and is a fair point.
The 3 you named (cunners, Jed and Polec) are probably the 3 least fit players on our list including talls with the exception of edwards

But tbh is a bit of a sidetrack from the point I was making originally about the preferred structure sides will use

The 3 you named (cunners, Jed and Polec) are probably the 3 least fit players on our list including talls with the exception of edwards

But tbh is a bit of a sidetrack from the point I was making originally about the preferred structure sides will use
I think we are expecting too much from Comben just yet.
I love the bloke, but he would benefit from VFL action and continuity the most I reckon.
Once he has done 5-6 weeks (at either level) in a row he will be a totally different prospect.
I'm hoping he is in the team later this year after kicking the door down in the VFL.
I would be surprised if he makes the cut round 1.
I actually would have money on him for the frosty miller this year if I was a betting man.

B: Turner - McKay - Ziebell
HB: McDonald - Corr - Hall
C: Polec - Greenwood - Powell
HF: Horne-Francis - Comben - Thomas
FF: Stephenson - Larkey - Zurhaar
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - Davies-Uniacke

IC: Phillips - Coleman-Jones - Goater - Taylor

SUB: Taylor

E: Walker - Hayden - Ford - Mahoney

Yep Jy has a good tank now days.
After him our next best would probably be LDU or Taylor.
That will need to improve IMO.
And it will with time.
The top 4 teams have like 5 guys with Jy's tank.
Yeah.

Realistically next year we should expect that from him, LDU, TT, Sleevo, possibly Scott and Taylor. If they play enough. It will be a couple more years before the younger guys get to that level of match fitness.

Ideally LDU this year, along with Sleevo tho he's probably closer to where Jy is. He's about 75 games, Jys in his 90s. He had plenty of run throughout games last year too.

LDU and TT are both around 50 games. LDU is about where Jy was this time in 2020 I reckon. Last year he started the year playing one quarter of 10 possession footy and finished the year having done it for 4 quarters once (well close enough imo, 38 disposals.)

Tarryn is different, he's a much more attacking player ... he could be anything as good as the other two are. But he's around the same spot in terms of games played, this is his fourth pre season. That's about where Jy was in 2020 as well. So they could be both primed to take the next step. Ideally they'll both be around 70 games by the end of the season.

So by the start of next year we should have 4 elite mids with AFL quality tanks. Provided they all have a consistent year with no interruptions. This is why we should have some expectations for this season. Finals is unlikely but possible but realistically 10th - 12th is looking likely and we should expect to be 10th not 12th.

Yeah.

Realistically next year we should expect that from him, LDU, TT, Sleevo, possibly Scott and Taylor. If they play enough. It will be a couple more years before the younger guys get to that level of match fitness.

Ideally LDU this year, along with Sleevo tho he's probably closer to where Jy is. He's about 75 games, Jys in his 90s. He had plenty of run throughout games last year too.

LDU and TT are both around 50 games. LDU is about where Jy was this time in 2020 I reckon. Last year he started the year playing one quarter of 10 possession footy and finished the year having done it for 4 quarters once (well close enough imo, 38 disposals.)

Tarryn is different, he's a much more attacking player ... he could be anything as good as the other two are. But he's around the same spot in terms of games played, this is his fourth pre season. That's about where Jy was in 2020 as well. So they could be both primed to take the next step. Ideally they'll both be around 70 games by the end of the season.

So by the start of next year we should have 4 elite mids with AFL quality tanks. Provided they all have a consistent year with no interruptions. This is why we should have some expectations for this season. Finals is unlikely but possible but realistically 10th - 12th is looking likely and we should expect to be 10th not 12th.
Yep I agree.
I thought we could have snuck into the 8 if Cunners was playing the whole year like he played last year.
10th to 12th sounds about right without him.
Its all about getting run in the young guys legs.
Hopefully we have less injuries this year that would be massive for us.

B: Turner - McKay - Ziebell
HB: McDonald - Corr - Hall
C: Polec - Greenwood - Powell
HF: Horne-Francis - Comben - Thomas
FF: Stephenson - Larkey - Zurhaar
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - Davies-Uniacke

IC: Phillips - Coleman-Jones - Goater - Taylor

SUB: Taylor

E: Walker - Hayden - Ford - Mahoney
You got Taylor twice, but otherwise I like it. Even though I didn't fit him in, I wish I could have had COmben and I hope he plays over someone like Walker.

You got Taylor twice, but otherwise I like it. Even though I didn't fit him in, I wish I could have had COmben and I hope he plays over someone like Walker.
This is why I got all excited by the Comben is training at CHB rumours.
Comben would have to be very bad at CHB to be worse than Walker at CHF.
Bench tall swingman.
Pitty it does not seem to be happening. It was an easy avenue into the team IMO.

Yeah.

I can't think of the last North kid that I'm anticipating as much from in an approaching season.

Maybe Wells leading into 2006, but I still don't ever think I expected him to just dominate for periods of games like I think TT is going to, Wells was more of just a "I hope he improves and takes the next step".

Tarryn has a totally different mentality and it's a case of "when" rather than "if". Im excited for the stuff to get started, because I know it's just a matter of time.

"When" might be Rnd 1 tbh.

I think Tarryn puts up 5 or 6 games this season like his Carlton game last season.

Maybe the last kid I had this sort of expectation was around McKernan in 95/96.

Choppy comes close also, but I don't even think I had expectations of him dominating games, just being an extremely dangerous and dynamic piece of a great side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back