Prediction Best 22 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't think of the last North kid that I'm anticipating as much from in an approaching season.

Maybe Wells leading into 2006, but I still don't ever think I expected him to just dominate for periods of games like I think TT is going to, Wells was more of just a "I hope he improves and takes the next step".

Tarryn has a totally different mentality and it's a case of "when" rather than "if". Im excited for the stuff to get started, because I know it's just a matter of time.

"When" might be Rnd 1 tbh.

I think Tarryn puts up 5 or 6 games this season like his Carlton game last season.

Maybe the last kid I had this sort of expectation was around McKernan in 95/96.

Choppy comes close also, but I don't even think I had expectations of him dominating games, just being an extremely dangerous and dynamic piece of a great side.
Yeah he's crazy good.

If he and LDU just go nuts this year and ... well they only have to improve a little on their late season form to do that ... then we could finish higher than 10th.

if we are playing Comben and CCJ and Larks,
then it seems a nobrainer for Goater to replace Walker otherwise v slow outfit

And maybe CCJ can be used to play the Big Man Back, a la Big Boy McEvoy

B: Turner Mckay Ziebell
HB: Hall Corr McDonald
C: Powell Phillips Polec/Scott
HF: Thomas Comben JHF
F: Stephenson Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldy LDU Simpkin
I: Greenwood CCJ Taylor Goater
Exactly

Wow this really was difficult, which is great, but here's my crack at our best Rd 1 side:

B: Turner - McKay - Ziebell
HB: Hall - Corr - McDonald
C: Polec - Simpkin - Stephenson
HF: Mahony - CCJ - Thomas
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - JHF
Foll: Goldstein - LDU - Greenwood
Int: Comben - Powell - Phillips - Perez
Emerg: J Walker - Scott - Taylor - Hayden

And to show the full list:
Emerg2: Xerri - Young - Lazzaro - Ford
Emerg3: Atu - Goater - P Walker - Spicer
Development: McGuinness - Edwards - Curtis - Bergman - Archer
Unavailable: Cunnington - Bonar - Anderson

A few things:
  • I'm high on Perez and had to shuffle things to get him in, but our backline needs so much work and an injection of youth. I hope all of Perez, Hayden, Young, Atu, P Walker and Goater get some AFL games this year so we can see what they've got. From a list management perspective I think at least two of them will/should go at the end of the year, but not sure who yet (obviously won't be Goater).
  • Scott and Taylor in particular are unlucky to miss out, but I hope those two play a lot of footy this year (as I expect they will with just a few injuries and COVID).
  • Polec has no doubt been disappointing the last couple of years, but I'm surprised at how many on here don't have him in the team at all. We are a very young and inexperienced team, and I think his experience will be important for us this year. He does need to lift, but his best is excellent and he's still the best wingman on our list for mine.
  • I possibly squibbed it by saying Bonar and Anderson are unavailable for Rd 1, but I think they will battle to be match fit by then and about Rd 4 is more likely. Bonar is another I'd like to see get a lot of games in the backline, so hopefully he can get a good run at it this year.
  • Once you get past that first line of emergencies, whilst there's a lot of potential there, there's hardly any experience at all, so injuries will really hurt us again this year. I think we will be doing well to climb out of the bottom 4 this year, but hopefully we have a vastly improved percentage and, obviously and most importantly, significant development and improvement from our youth.
This is a great summation of our team. Whilst I dont agree 100% with the post, it really does summarise things well.

For mine:
I hope X gets 15-20 games this year.
Lazzaro and Ford 10+
Atu and Goater 5-10+
Your development list, possibly only 1-2 each.
Cunners, Bonar and Ando, btw 10-20

I name this team the land of the giants
We would be run over in every last quarter.
6 x 195cm+ guys and Goldy.
I think it is irrelevant to focus on the height, unless you focus on mobility. I wouldnt say McKay is slow, nor Corr (limited vision), Larkey or Comben. Goldy will be a liability defensively, but has proven himself more than capable over the past 10 years.

What happened to sleevo? Did I miss something
The commentators mentioned that he's out of the game - no mention of an injury. I saw him in Q2 but I didn't see anything likely to have caused him to leave the field. He had a couple of touches but didn't look to be knocked up or anything.

Luke and X apparently bumped heads although Luke continued to play. he copped a bit of a sling which is possibly why he went off while X apparently left the ground after the head knock. Hall is off for precautionary reasons - apparently nothing serious.

The commentators mentioned that he's out of the game - no mention of an injury. I saw him in Q2 but I didn't see anything likely to have caused him to leave the field. He had a couple of touches but didn't look to be knocked up or anything.

Luke and X apparently bumped heads although Luke continued to play. he copped a bit of a sling which is possibly why he went off while X apparently left the ground after the head knock. Hall is off for precautionary reasons - apparently nothing serious.
Commentators were misinformed he came back out in the second half

Commentators were misinformed he came back out in the second half
Cool - like I said, I didn't see anything but I was sure they mentioned him along with the other three.

Game is now being streamed again.

They just summarised the injuries and no mention of Sllevo - maybe I was hearing things.

Hall had a hammy issue but they say is walking around with no ice.

Seniors

B: Turner McKay Bonar
HB: Hall Corr Ziebell
C: McDonald Greenwood Stephenson
HF: Thomas Comben Mahony
F: Zurhaar Larkey CCJ
Foll: Goldstein Simpkin LDU
Int: Powell, Phillips, JHF, Perez

Reserves

B: Bosenavulagi J. Walker Archer
HB: Goater McGuinness Young
C: Polec Anderson Scott
HF: Taylor Ford Lynch
F: Curtis Edwards Spicer
Foll: Xerri Hayden Lazzaro
Int: Bergman P. Walker

Cunnington (unavailable).

Me likey our list, very much.
Some water gone under the bridge since then, though it hasn't rained much lately up my way.

Stab at a round 1 side based off training reports and yesterday's intraclub.

Assuming Bonar, Perez, Cunnington and Hall are unavailable rd. 1

B: Turner McKay Corr
HB: McDonald Walker Ziebell
C: Polec Simpkin Stephenson
HF: JHF CCJ Mahony
F: Zurhaar Larkey Curtis
Foll: Goldstein LDU Thomas
Int: Powell, Phillips, Greenwood, Goater
Sub: Taylor

Notes:
  • I've been influenced by recent events and gone Curtis over Comben to bring pressure and scoring opportunities from open play. Let the big fella own the VFL and work on his "up the ground" play.
  • Josh Walker gets the nod over Hayden to replace Hall. Hardly like-for-like but it allows us to be more flexible with Corr and Walker can swing forward if a tall goes down.
  • Goater replaces Perez as 7th defender.
  • Playing three mids off the bench but all have second positions. Phillips and Greenwood go forward forward. Powell will rotate with Stephenson on wing
  • Taylor is Mr. Fix-It as the sub.

Last edited:
Some water gone under the bridge since then, though it hasn't rained much lately up my way.

Stab at a round 1 side based off training reports and yesterday's intraclub.

Assuming Bonar, Perez, Cunnington and Hall are unavailable rd. 1

B: Turner McKay Corr
HB: McDonald Walker Ziebell
C: Polec Simpkin Stephenson
HF: JHF CCJ Mahony
F: Zurhaar Larkey Curtis
Foll: Goldstein LDU Thomas
Int: Powell, Phillips, Greenwood, Goater
Sub: Taylor

Notes:
  • I've been influenced by recent events and gone Curtis over Comben to bring pressure and scoring opportunities from open play. Let the big fella own the VFL and work on his "up the ground" play.
  • Josh Walker gets the nod over Hayden to replace Walker. Hardly like-for-like but it allows us to be more flexible with Corr and Walker can swing forward if a tall goes down.
  • Goater replaces Perez as 7th defender.
  • Playing three mids off the bench but all have second positions. Phillips and Greenwood go forward forward. Powell will rotate with Stephenson on wing
  • Taylor is Mr. Fix-It as the sub.
Walker to replace Walker? Guessing you mean Hall.

Hopefully Hall recovers in time as we need some speed and run from defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hall is a massive out we don't have anyone who is aggressive off half back like him and I loved the way he was combining with L Mac and Polec in the first quarter of the intraclub. My team for Rd 1 is:

FB - L Mac, B McKay, K Turner,
CHB - A Corr, J Walker, J Ziebell
C - T Powell, LDU, J Polec
CHF - JHF, C Comben, T Thomas
FF - J Mahoney, N Larkey, C Zurhaar
Ruck - Goldy, Jy Simpkin, Greenwood
Bench - W Phillips (mid), Steevo (Mid/Fwd), CCJ (Fwd/Ruck), L Young (def),
Sub - Taylor

Struggled with the last defensive position/rotation, would love it if either Ford or Lazzaro could be trialed down back as I think both players have attributed that could work defensively and we are need of more quality in that half of the ground.

I like Comben and I loved his tackling and pressure in the intraclub. I could easily be swung in swapping him for Ford which probably provides better balance, however I just wanted to get Comben in the team and to take the opportunity to play him when he is fit.

Edit - can't believe i forgot Steevo. We are stacked in the mid forward rotations......

Last edited:
Hall is a massive out we don't have anyone who is aggressive off half back like him and I loved the way he was combining with L Mac and Polec in the first quarter of the intraclub. My team for Rd 1 is:

FB - L Mac, B McKay, K Turner,
CHB - A Corr, J Walker, J Ziebell
C - T Powell, LDU, J Polec
CHF - JHF, C Comben, T Thomas
FF - J Mahoney, N Larkey, C Zurhaar
Ruck - Goldy, Jy Simpkin, Greenwood
Bench - W Phillips (mid), C Taylor (Mid/Fwd), CCJ (Fwd/Ruck), L Young (def)

Struggled with the last defensive position/rotation, would love it if either Ford or Lazzaro could be trialed down back as I think both players have attributed that could work defensively and we are need of more quality in that half of the ground.

I like Comben and I loved his tackling and pressure in the intraclub. I could easily be swung in swapping him for Ford which probably provides better balance, however I just wanted to get Comben in the team and to take the opportunity to play him when he is fit.
no Stevo?

Round 1 (with current availability)

FB - Ziebell, McKay, Turner,
CHB - Corr, Walker, LMac
C - Stephenson, Simpkin, Polec
CHF - JHF, CCJ, Thomas
FF - Mahoney, Larkey, Zurhaar
Ruck - Goldstein, Greenwood, LDU
Bench - Phillips, Powell, Scott, Taylor

Wow competition for spots will really heat up this year I think.
If you just look at the back six of,

FB - Ziebell, McKay, Turner,
CHB - Corr, Walker, LMac

Hall, Young, Bonor, Atu, Kyron and Perez should keep the pressure on to perform or lose your spot in the back six.
A nice change from five years ago when it was almost the same 18 week in week out.

Ziebell - McKay - Corr

McDonald - Walker - Hall

Scott - Thomas - Stephenson

LDU - Comben - Horne

Zurhaar - Larkey - Mahony

Goldstein - Simpkin - Greenwood

CCJ - *Taylor - Powell - Phillips

*Cunnington

Emerg: Lazzaro - Polec - Anderson - Turner

Gday Roos, I went to Casey yesterday. Melbourne are premiers, their guns are primed at the mo,ent Petracca, Oliver (is he the best mid going around right now?), Gawn etc.
They have traded in 4 quality talls - Lever, May, Tomlinson and Brown. When y
players can see a window coming they’ll get on board.

I can remember watching Petracca, Gawn and Oliver play in poor teams, we used to have the wood on them. But right now they are loaded with talent, mature and playing to the potential.

We will get better. We are headed for another bottom 3 finish - that’s OK. Hopefully we win a few more games, say 6-7 .... but pick up 2-3 more gun draftees. That’s what the Dees did repeatedly.

Some observations. Mahoney is best 22. He is smart, great in one on ones. He is among the first picked.
Turner starts on the field. Same as Mahoney. Jed plays when fit. He’s a big body. Yesterday we were extremely young and small bodied compared to the big, mature and experienced Melbourne team. Paul Curtis is exciting. Very young and raw, but great reactions, speed of mind and showed some skills. We missed Comben.

Round 1
B: Ziebull (tries hard, always committed) - McKay - Turner
Hb: Corr (loud, needs a few games after injury lay-off) - Walker (best available for us at the mo - LMAC
C: Powell - Simpkin - Thomas
Hf: Horn (competitive beast) - Comben (offers options, aggressiv) - Jed
Ff: Mahoney - Larkey - Zurharr

Goldie - LDU - Greenwood (finding his feet at North)
Int: CCJ (or Xerri), Phillips, Curtis (showing a bit, can it click?), Atu

Remove this Banner Ad

Back