Opinion Best back 6 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

throw in Serong, Flanders, Jackson, and Robertsen for me.
Not me. Ash or Stephens is a must.

Back Six with Ash
Wilson Hamling Logue
Ash A.Pearce Ryan
I/C Hiughes
Would be a very quick back six and we need more quick rebound.

For Peel yes
Hughes, Duman, would be the ones under the pump. Logue should be ahead of those two. But I expect the coach
to decide where they are all suited to play.
Hughes being rookie listed before is the one that needs to find himself, otherwise he will go down the same path as
Nhyius.
His short kicking game is very good, tough, quick, but decision making under pressure?
He's not the only one though, and it will be interesting to see who improves under new management.

Yet more positive news for the pre-season...

Brendon Goddard has apparently rated Fremantle's defence as the AFL's second worst.

After crunching the numbers based on Goddard's success rate with his previous analyses that means we are a 94.3% chance of having the AFL's best defence in 2020.

My own separate analysis I did a few weeks ago had projected us having a top 4 defence next year so hearing what Goddard thinks has not only validated my findings but provided sound reasoning for even greater expectation and optimism.

Go Freo!

One thing I'm glad about is that we won't have to see these threads flooded with posts saying Nyhuis should be in the team and complaining when he isn't. Guy wasn't AFL standard plain and simple.

What about Aish ?
I imagine he'll play a bit back there at times. Players get a bit thrown around the place these days. I was more looking at a starting 6 (with 7th defender/int). Players like Aish, Cerra, Hill, Blakely, , Acres, Tucker are pretty versatile. They could all end up back there at different times.

Basically, as your set-and-forget defenders, I'm comfortable with Ham, Pearce, Ryan, Willo and Griff - then whoever else is required for the match-ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want to see Aish, Hill or Blakely in the back 6. The first 2 outside in the middle moving the ball in transition, the latter in & under all day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think that is realistic, especially for Hill and Aish who both play well in that position. I also think it is a bit unrealistic to expect Cerra to suddenly become a full-time midfielder. That would be a massive step up, and I'd be happy to see him increase his time in there with an expectation that in 2021 he steps it up again. In the meantime I think they will be part of a rotation through half-back where their distribution skills can be a real asset.

Blakely has never made sense to me apart from him needing to develop his defensive side.

I think Cerra should rotate half forward rather than half back. Want the back 7 focused on defence. Rotating a mid from there confuses messaging for the whole defence.
No harm trying. So far playing back hasn't really revealed terrific disposal, which was reportedly his strength.

The club has to figure out how they use Mundy this year, and that is also part if the equation. I suggest that he may be best played more forward with midfield appearances being more a shock tactic. Cerra's rotations could play into that.

I think Cerra should rotate half forward rather than half back. Want the back 7 focused on defence. Rotating a mid from there confuses messaging for the whole defence.
Both Collingwood and West Coast seem to play what you suggest with a main back 7 most weeks. Hard to not think Longmuir would not be influenced by his previous coaching experiences. Interestingly Bell has said he wants another Nathan Wilson type this draft. There could yet be a first year player in our first two picks who plays a key role. Hamling,Pearce, Logue, Hughes, Ryan, Wilson and someone like Ash would be a good athletic group.

Both Collingwood and West Coast seem to play what you suggest with a main back 7 most weeks. Hard to not think Longmuir would not be influenced by his previous coaching experiences. Interestingly Bell has said he wants another Nathan Wilson type this draft. There could yet be a first year player in our first two picks who plays a key role. Hamling,Pearce, Logue, Hughes, Ryan, Wilson and someone like Ash would be a good athletic group.
That surprises me and makes me wonder how Carter and the Walker's are viewed.

No harm trying. So far playing back hasn't really revealed terrific disposal, which was reportedly his strength.

The club has to figure out how they use Mundy this year, and that is also part if the equation. I suggest that he may be best played more forward with midfield appearances being more a shock tactic. Cerra's rotations could play into that.
Personally think its time Mundy played more in a non mid role as well. Not only Cerra, but Blakely, Brayshaw, Tucker and Acres all have played their best afl football as inside mids in my view. Time to see what they offer. If we go with Cerra more then having Mundy in their at the same time would leave us ecposed for pace in the midfield after clearnces in open play.

Personally think its time Mundy played more in a non mid role as well. Not only Cerra, but Blakely, Brayshaw, Tucker and Acres all have played their best afl football as inside mids in my view. Time to see what they offer. If we go with Cerra more then having Mundy in their at the same time would leave us ecposed for pace in the midfield after clearnces in open play.
The other thing is that Mundy mixing things up occasionally at the bounce downs can become a useful game changer if he isn't expected to sustain it.

For me ,Duman nailed down his spot off the HBF flank last year.He stood up under pressure when we were short on players back there.He , to me is a certain starter.
As for people bagging Wilson, it must be remembered that he played under duress for a whole lot of the season.He played with his foot injury when he should have been rested.He was on crutches at training on Monday. Not sure how long he is away from training.
Ryan is a certainty, as is Pearce and Hamling.Logue showed plenty last year as well after missing the entire season the year before.He will be a starter.
For me it leaves one spot to fight for.That being Wilson, until he is fit.

For me ,Duman nailed down his spot off the HBF flank last year.He stood up under pressure when we were short on players back there.He , to me is a certain starter.
As for people bagging Wilson, it must be remembered that he played under duress for a whole lot of the season.He played with his foot injury when he should have been rested.He was on crutches at training on Monday. Not sure how long he is away from training.
Ryan is a certainty, as is Pearce and Hamling.Logue showed plenty last year as well after missing the entire season the year before.He will be a starter.
For me it leaves one spot to fight for.That being Wilson, until he is fit.

Agree with most of this, except we may find our team is too tall with a three-pronged defense. Which means Logue makes way for someone shorter and more mobile, and is there as a backup.

That said if it works I'm down for it.

Agree with most of this, except we may find our team is too tall with a three-pronged defense. Which means Logue makes way for someone shorter and more mobile, and is there as a backup.

That said if it works I'm down for it.
Duman probably caught between the need to bulk up and be an option to play KP if required, or maximise his speed and agility. What I think he should be doing is being lean and mean, outsizing the smalls while being able to stay with them in the contest. Also needs to make the most out of his disposals which I think can be better than he has shown, at least his pre-draft profile indicates that he can. But for me he is not locked into our back 6, and finds a place dependent on form and needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back