Best sledges you have heard at the footy or any sport for that matter !

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a frustrated, and somewhat short, opening bowler with a decent dose of whiteline fever. I played for a ATCA premier division club here in Adelaide and we were about the only club that didn't pay our players for runs or wickets, so we used to give it to paid players a bit. One match we were playing against an ex state player who was a 6'3 opening bowler and number 4 or 5 bat and had made a fair bit of money that year taking wickets and hitting a couple of hundreds. He was also known to have a pretty decent size temper on him (Part of the reason he didn't go on in state cricket apparently).

They bowled first and he took one for and a dubious one at that. When they were batting we ripped through the openers and number 3 I think before he came out. I beat him a few times outside off and then trapped him in front (perhaps a tad high tbh) and had him given out. For whatever reason (pretty sure it was the whiteline fever or red mist that clouded my senses at the time) I decided to send him off with "1 wicket and a duck. You must be the highest paid f**king fieldsman in the ACTA because you're obviously useless at anything else on a cricket field"
What my teammates hadn't told me is that the rivalry between our clubs was fierce and the footy season prior our players had bottles thrown at them as they left the field, instigated primarily by the useless p**ck I had just sledged halfway to the sheds. I wasn't overly keen on standing at fine leg the rest of the innings

This one may have already been done, at the MCG with a mate behind the Richmond end goals, ball bounces straight out of the centre down to us, players contest a blatant free missed, my mate yells out " c'mon umpire, he's been doin it all day!!!" Game was a minute old, at the time had me rolling! ha ha!

Will never forget it... Middle of the supplements saga, Hawks v Essendon, Gwilt has just arrive at Essendon and we absolutely shat all over them by 100 points....

Gwilt and the Hawthorn player (cant remember who) do one of those walking tackles over the boundary line resigned to the fact its going to be a throw-in. Some random bloke gets up and yells out at the top of his lungs "NOT GWILTY, NOT GWILTY"

I always enjoy when the opposition supporters are getting fired up about the umpiring and are yelling out stuff like "BALL!!", "FIFTY!!", "THAT'S NOT 15!!", "HOW FAR?!!" or "DELIBERATE!!" through a foaming mouth. Always good fun to then wait until the next bit of crowd silence while they're sitting there stewing in their indignation watching some benign bit of play occurring (like uncontested chips around the back flank) and to then let rip with whatever umpiring complaint they've been throwing around.

Actively praising the umpires by name for a "fair and balanced" umpiring display when we've quite clearly just got away with the good end of an objectively bad call is also a sure fire way to get under the skin of opposition supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back