Better Centre Half Back - Roos or Jakovich

Remove this Banner Ad

JA27

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2009
Western District
AFL Club
Collingwood
looked at robbos team of the 2000s and thought i would give it a go. after making my team and electing leppitsch as the best centre half back of the 2000s, (although i think cornes would have been better if left in that position) i was going to give the best team of the 90s a go.

thought i would have silvagni at full back, jakovich centre half back and ben hart third tall off the top of my head. but then i thought of paul roos.

when everyone talks of the best ever centre half backs they always mention jakovich, but was roos better?

They were very different. Jakovich was incredibly strong, but also pretty agile for a really big bloke (he played ruck early in his career). He could match it for strength with any key forward of the time. His limitation was run and carry, which Roos was a master of. He played the 'quarterback' role brilliantly. Roos was a great overhead mark and a great kick. He could have played almost anywhere (on the ball, CHF, wing).

I'd have both. My half back line for the 90s would be:

Paul Roos---Glen Jakovich---Guy McKenna

Roos was looser defensively, but could be more damaging offensively. I'd take him unless we were playing against Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back