BF ages and years of support

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, over 5 years since last poster on this one. I wonder how many are still around.

Anyway, here goes.
Age..66
Dad.. Saints
Mum..Footscray (although she was Italian so probably Footascray)
Me..Pies lifelong.
4 brothers...Pies lifelong
1 son..Pies
2 daughters..Pies
2 grand daughters..Pies
2 grand sons..TBD.. we live in WA so have a bit of an uphill struggle with son-in-law being a stinking eagle. But I reckon i'll
get at least one of them.
Fave moments 1990 GF 2010 2nd GF 1964 Gabbo's run!!!
I was only 5 in 1958 but remember dad telling me Pies won.
Fave players in no order..Gabbo, Thommo, McKenna, Greening, Carmen, Daicos, Pants, Dids, Bucks, Maynard and Sav.
Still here Gabbo - likewise 66.

Dad . . Pies
Mum . . Swans
Sister . . Pies
Son . . . Pies

1990 GF was like being released from prison.
2010 PF probably the most powerful game we have ever played against tough opposition.
2010 GFS - heart in my mouth in the first one - been through too many near misses.

Greening for me
Thommo - my second cousin and the prototype for todays athletic followers.
Daicos - simply no one from any era like him.
Pants - courage and power personified
Browny - capatain courageous.

23 year old. Turning 24 on Christmas.
Migrated to Australia in 2017 (I was 12).
My GF record : 1 - 1 - 2.
4 Grandfinals in 13 years.

Fav players : Swanny, Young Beams, Pendles, Grundy, Schaz & De Goey. Soft spot growing for Phil Inn.

Fav memory : 2018 Prelim. Arguably my favourite memory of all time.
Great night.

You turned 12 years old in 2007.

I'm 25. Have been following footy since 2016 - instantaneously became a religious follower of it.

Much of my immediate family have always supported Collingwood, so growing up whenever someone asked me who I barracked for I always just said Collingwood. I was a nerdy kid who hated sports growing up but I remember watching the 02, 03 and 11 GFs and being upset at the results of all three.

18, just finished high school.
Been alive for 1 GF win, 1 draw and 4 losses :) best to get settled in for the ride I supposed.
Dad: Pies
Mum: Cats
Been Collingwood since I came out of the womb.

6 Grandfinal in 18 years.

A grand final every 3 years. Not bad.

(We don’t talk about winning GFs on the Collingwood board).

35 in a week.

Been a "fan" since about 89/90 but didn't really start getting "into" footy until around 96 or so. My parents aren't from Victoria, so I didn't have much of an appreciation of footy before then. My best friend at the time and my (much) older brother are massive Pies fans though, so I remember feeling like it was a "pretty good thing" when we won in 1990.

Respect to you and all the other oldies, Gabbo. I am also 66 and also saw Gabbo’s Run — one of the most remarkable, heart-stopping occurrences in the history of the game, I would think. Neil Crompton ruined that day for us (sheer arse, of course), but we have lived to have the last laugh by continuing to support this great club for another 50-plus years.
Hi 6YO,
Great to hear from another young bloke my age. Yeah I still feel crook every time I hear the name Crompton but it can't take away that run and bounce of the Bear.
Cheers mate.

42 years old
Lucky enough to have attended 1990 GF as well as all subsequent ones.

Been a fanatic as long as I can remember thanks to my Dad. He's now 74 but we still go to every game in Melbourne together. Poor bloke has been to every Collingwood GF since 1958. So yeah, he's seen 3 triumphs but also 12 losses and 2 draws. He is a nervous wreck in GF week.

Favourite players in my time: Gavin Brown, Daicos, Pendles, Clement, Swanny.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still here Gabbo - likewise 66.

Dad . . Pies
Mum . . Swans
Sister . . Pies
Son . . . Pies

1990 GF was like being released from prison.
2010 PF probably the most powerful game we have ever played against tough opposition.
2010 GFS - heart in my mouth in the first one - been through too many near misses.

Greening for me
Thommo - my second cousin and the prototype for todays athletic followers.
Daicos - simply no one from any era like him.
Pants - courage and power personified
Browny - capatain courageous.
Cheers Jonbe54
Thommo was an outstanding ruckman and as you say the prototype for today's ruckmen. I used to love his battles with Big Nick and Currency Carl.

Think you've stumbled on to the wrong board there Redders; none of us care about your suspect Bummer-supporting history.

I'm 56 (I suspect the oldest on our board) and have been a Pie supporter for 44 years. A member since 1988.
I've got 7 years on you TM. I've been a Pies man for all but my first 8 years. My family lived in Canberra until I was 8, when we moved to Camberwell and mum told me "if they ask you at school tomorrow who you barrack for, just say "Collingwood"". They did and I did and the rest is history.

I'm based in Canberra now too, so it's good to see we mature supporters are helping to increase the Magpie presence in the ACT!

Now I don't particularly remember this moment, but apparently in the third. Heritier had marked it 55m out. Same though occurred that it was too far until he remembered the dream. He kicked the goal and apparently it was a major momentum switch.
God this brings me back, I distinctly remember this moment now you mention it. For some forgotten to me now reason mum & I were sitting in the Olympic stand on the wing right about level from where he kicked it from, mum's friend Sue was at the game with us...for another god knows why reason considering shes a rabid Tigers supporter but one of those ones who never goes to games but never fails to send the stick in the knife sms's after games when Collingwood loses (to anyone). Anyways by chance she happened to be Cam Wood's old primary school teacher so when he had the ball she was going crazy and I just remember seeing Harry run out of nowhere and I poked mum in the ribs and pointed at him and by chance Wood kicked it to him. When he lined up for goal everyone around us was screaming kick it to Neon and I said to mum he'll kick this and she just looked at me like are you on drugs...then he did. I didnt know about his dream or anything til now reading your post, not having read his book nor real desire to either, i just remember there was something special about that kick that day considering accurate long kicking was never really Harrys strong point from memory around that time. Intriguing how the universe works

55 and 51 years of support - grandparents started taking me to the footy every Saturday from the age of 4, back then the thing I enjoyed most was the hot dog at half time and for the price a hot dog I promised my grandfather I'd follow Collingwood.

Last edited:
40 years young

My Collingwood supporting father would apparently ask me as a toddler who I go for. I’d say Collingwood, and he’d then give me a chocolate biscuit.

Have been salivating over Collingwood ever since.

That technique is going straight into the Vicky Park Guide to Good Parenting. It’s a bit like training a dog. Perfect.

Pie fan all my life, 58 years of it. Mum and Dad both devoted Carlton supporters so 79 and 81 were particularly difficult times for me at home.
Loved Wayne Richardson when I was a kid and then the mighty Daics my all time favourite.

You should change your name to "Pavlov's Son"
But we had to trade out for Steve McKee from memory 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back