Blues 105% of the salary cap in 2020 (The Age)

Remove this Banner Ad

So, if Carlton have been banking salary cap payments for a couple of years, and this year they're balancing the books by making up that shortfall, then next year they'll have a normal salary cap and won't have a 'war chest' to go after the likes of Papley.
Wrong. If we've front loaded contracts, we will be paying less for those contracts each year which opens up additional salary.

A team which won 7 premierships between 1968 and 1987 has won only one is the salary cap era in 1995 and that has an asterisk beside it.

Carlton have paid dearly for their paper bag player economics and passing up the opportunity to self report during the AFL amnesty period. They ended up being caught with their trousers down and were harshly dealt with.

Years of uninspired drafting along with the many compromised drafts as a result of the 2 expansion clubs has not helped.

For the first time in a long time I see the nucleas building of a very competitive club.

Time will tell whether another sleeping giant can stir from its long torpidity ...

Wrong. If we've front loaded contracts, we will be paying less for those contracts each year which opens up additional salary.
You also possibly get in a brad Hill situation too. Brad Hill was on a 5 year contract on $500,000 a year deal. $700,000 on the 1st couple of years.

$500,000 on the 3rd year. Then $300,000 for 2020 and 2021 had he stayed at Freo.

Saints offered him $900,000 a year for 5-6 years.

No it doesn’t.
He wants to believe it does....lol
Everything else in his post about no premierships in last two decades of salary cap era are correct though. The 1995 premiership team only had a few players from draft era play important roles. The rest were from the previous systems of under 19's, zone systems and recruiting from interstate when players are past the teenage years. It was not a draft and salary cap era premiership team.
We never built a list in the draft and salary cap era until now. It is what excites me about watching list build in last four years. Some of those guys will be ready to mature in next 18 months so this next decade excites me more than any other for a long time to fully embrace the way salary caps and drafting works now. Hence using the cap like this and live drafting has been great to see in recent times. Previously we were slow to embrace new ways of drafting and managing the cap. Now we forging ahead in how it can be done.

Last edited:
You also possibly get in a brad Hill situation too. Brad Hill was on a 5 year contract on $500,000 a year deal. $700,000 on the 1st couple of years.

$500,000 on the 3rd year. Then $300,000 for 2020 and 2021 had he stayed at Freo.

Don't trade him..... simples

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Always a possibility but we'd be hoping that by the time it gets to that stage we'd be pushing for a flag...extra incentive to stay on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How far over the cap can you go? If the idea of 5 supplementary top up picks goes ahead @ $80k odd each, will that tip them over the limit?

I would assume the league will make arrangements for clubs to pay top up players outside the regular salary cap constraints.

You know, the fact they're already at 105% is quite worrysome.

Obviously no performance based incentives, so why should the players put in any effort. They have their money and can run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back