Is this the golden age of small forwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
You often hear talk about the golden age of key forwards and how back in the 80s & 90s they were always kicking bags and people would flock to the footy to see the likes of Dunstall, Ablett, Plugger etc etc. Back then 10 goals was considered a bag and good KPFs would kick 100 goals a season. These days 5 goals is considered a bag and the goals are fewer and spread among more players.

Well, my question is: is this the time of the small forward? There are so many good ones currently: Tom Papley, Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene, Kysaiah Pickett, Josh Rachele, Isaak Rankine, Cody Weightman etc etc. They are also electric and exciting to watch. Are they bringing people in the gates? Are small forwards the new key forwards?

My memory doesn't go back far enough to offer a really compelling answer but I can't remember a time small forwards were flying so high.

Depends exactly on how strictly you define small forwards it but in terms of goals, there was a time not long ago when Betts (640 goals), Milne (574 goals), Mick O'Loughlin (520 goals) Boomer Harvey (518 goals), Steve Johnson (516 goals), prime Luke Bruest (489 goals), Jeff Farmer (483 goals), Ablett Jr (445 goals), Akermanis (421 goals) and Phil Matera (389 goals) were running around.

Were they all small forwards? I dunno. Certainly none were key forwards, some played as kinda mid-sized a bit like Greene. Obviously a couple were midfielders, but to kick the goals they did, they spent signifcant time forward (Ablett did at the start of his career).

Depends exactly on how strictly you define small forwards it but in terms of goals, there was a time not long ago when Betts (640 goals), Milne (574 goals), Mick O'Loughlin (520 goals) Boomer Harvey (518 goals), Steve Johnson (516 goals), prime Luke Bruest (489 goals), Jeff Farmer (483 goals), Ablett Jr (445 goals), Akermanis (421 goals) and Phil Matera (389 goals) were running around.

Were they all small forwards? I dunno. Certainly none were key forwards, some played as kinda mid-sized a bit like Greene. Obviously a couple were midfielders, but to kick the goals they did, they spent signifcant time forward (Ablett did at the start of his career).
Stevie J was definitely a medium rigid truck..not a small

Well since mids have been coached to play safe and not bang from 50 who else is going to pick up that slack?

Watching Nick Daicos reminds me of how good mids used to play, can't tell me that he's the only one with the ability to run off the mark and goal.

Played small by scabbing Joe the goose goals though
I think we’ve all kick a few Joe the goosey goals at some point or another in our lives.

Johnson had immense talent. In the top 5% goat. As talented around goals as Lethal, KB, D.Jarman and Damien Cupido.

A genuine star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs more Cyril. Throw in some decent eagles and the 10s seems to be a golden age.

Hell the AA comitee even named 3 smalls a couple of times, instead of some also ran ruckman and mids

Well since mids have been coached to play safe and not bang from 50 who else is going to pick up that slack?

Watching Nick Daicos reminds me of how good mids used to play, can't tell me that he's the only one with the ability to run off the mark and goal.

That amazes me that in an indoor stadium, they don’t take more long range shots

Elliott, Ginnivan, Hill. Certainly the Golden Age of small forwards at Collingwood.

I think we’ve all kick a few Joe the goosey goals at some point or another in our lives.

Johnson had immense talent. In the top 5% goat. As talented around goals as Lethal, KB, D.Jarman and Damien Cupido.

A genuine star.
That would be the Josh Jenkins thread.

Will be interesting to see there is a good mix of small forwards around at the moment.
2006-2012 seemed to be a pretty good time for them seemed to have a fair few good ones around.
Mark Le Cras was a gun that hasn’t been mentioned.

A genuine star.

Yep.
Yep.
Yep.
Wat?

Whatever ones definition of a small forward, Mick O'Loughlin sure as sh*t isn't in it. May as well label Aaron Sandilands as a small forward if we are being that loose with it.

O'Loughlin was taller than Dunstall, Ablett and Modra for reference and just like them was absolutely used as a key forward.

You often hear talk about the golden age of key forwards and how back in the 80s & 90s they were always kicking bags and people would flock to the footy to see the likes of Dunstall, Ablett, Plugger etc etc. Back then 10 goals was considered a bag and good KPFs would kick 100 goals a season. These days 5 goals is considered a bag and the goals are fewer and spread among more players.

Well, my question is: is this the time of the small forward? There are so many good ones currently: Tom Papley, Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene, Kysaiah Pickett, Josh Rachele, Isaak Rankine, Cody Weightman etc etc. They are also electric and exciting to watch. Are they bringing people in the gates? Are small forwards the new key forwards?

My memory doesn't go back far enough to offer a really compelling answer but I can't remember a time small forwards were flying so high.
Agree there's a lot of great talent playing in the small forward role. Could add in guys like Jack Higgins, Shai Bolton (2022) and one I think will really become known over the next 18 months in Noah Cumberland from the Tiges.

But to answer your last question, no they aren't the new key forwards. Key forwards are still the dominant force. While there's a few smalls in the top goal kickers so far this year, the top 3 are still the big key forward types (Cameron, Curnow, Oscar Allen). I'd still bet my house that this year, like every year, the Coleman will also be won by a key/tall forward.

What was O'Laughlin classified as?

I always thought of him as Sydney's 2nd key forward (behind hall)

But I just checked, only 189cm. What does that make him? idk.

What was O'Laughlin classified as?

I always thought of him as Sydney's 2nd key forward (behind hall)

But I just checked, only 189cm. What does that make him? idk.

I never thought of him as a key
forward. I just threw him in the discussion, I guess it depends on your definition, if you include anybody who’s now a “key forward”. Maybe medium is another category.

Whatever ones definition of a small forward, Mick O'Loughlin sure as sh*t isn't in it. May as well label Aaron Sandilands as a small forward if we are being that loose with it.

O'Loughlin was taller than Dunstall, Ablett and Modra for reference and just like them was absolutely used as a key forward.

Yes, terribly relevant, those names from the 80s and 90s.

He’s probably talked than John Nicholls too, let’s classify him as a ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back