News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't really have many spare midfield minutes. Crouch replaced by Hately and we won't be moving any of Sloane, Mrouch, Laird or Keays out. We've still got to try and get Jones, McHenry and maybe even Milera more time in there. Hopefully VB brings a different strategy and you're correct though.

That’s just not true. We don’t even have Hately yet. We can’t possibly move forward with a no positions vacant midfield mentality. All roles are up for grabs. Sloane doesn’t even need to be there. His job is to be our Hodge/Birchall leadership role. Doesn’t need first choice minutes by any stretch.

Could very possibly be Matt’s last year next season too. Keays is fantastic, love his work. But he isn’t ever going to be an A-grader either. Basically our entire 2020 midfield gets turned over in the next 3-5 years.

And reduces the spots on our list we can use for player development

A spot so valuable that if one opens up we'll be plonking David MacKay into it. I'd much prefer a salary dump spud that turns 15 into 2 thanks.

Tom Rehn said we aren’t confident on band 1 given it’s a 5 year deal, it’s likely to be in less money to give him the length of contract he wanted.

That makes sense.

Tom Rehn said we aren’t confident on band 1 given it’s a 5 year deal, it’s likely to be in less money to give him the length of contract he wanted.

That makes sense.
What? No it doesn't, given the 5th year is a trigger. This mean Saints will need to trade with us and lost their 1st rounder.....stupid by them.

Crows Head of Football Adam Kelly said the list management team would now investigate a range of avenues to ensure the best possible outcome.

“We will now consider our options and make decisions that are in the best interests of the Adelaide Football Club,” Kelly said.

Options? We've no option but to sit and wait to get the offer provided to us by the AFL and then we match or not. They make it sound like there's more to it than there is and that they have more control than they do.

Roos talking sh*t... Brad, his manager and the club have all said in the last fortnight that the offers that came in for brad would be discussed between the three and the club and brad would then make a decision on which way to proceed.

That's just not how it works. That's what Kelly thought would happen, he was wrong.

The club would know as they need that information to decide whether to match or not. The AFL will also let us know the compo and contract amount prior to that decision. Likely Brad's manager has informed the club of the contract length and amount as well.

They're all just words at the moment. We'll find out when the AFL provide us with the actual contract that Brad and the Saints have signed and lodged. Once we get the contract, we have a set time to match or not. It's that simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 990883

Gee, I'm glad he picked the team with the 3rd lowest draft currency... that better be a giant contract for pick 2 or Jack Steele / Max King please + a first round pick
Did they swap first rounders with Geelong?

Edit

Well if that is the case then I hope the club has the nuts to just match the bid and force a trade because if we are in the business of letting our best midfielders coming into their prime years leave for what will be a pick in the mid 20's after NGA bids etc we may as well close our doors as it is not a functioning club anymore

So we just give you dunstan and let u pay?
Lol
We dont need to salary dump
We have quite a bit spare still
Aint happening

Unless it netted us trelour
Lol

We took roo and kozi at picks one and two

I absolutely do not want Dunstan. I am ok with helping you with a salary dump if that is NEEDED. If not then great. We want band 1.

You can keep Dunstan. Please, please keep him.

Would we be able to contribute a portion of his salary to bring it up to Band 1?
I’ve told the ATO I earned more than I did and paid more tax so I could loan more from a bank. Smart business if it increases your investments.

5 years and less money that he was initially demanding for a shorter term deal.

Do you think we want to sign him for 5 years?
well if he has declared he wants to play for St Kilda, then yep of course we match and force them to trade. No fking way can we be in the business of letting our premier players go for a mid 20's pick..absolute lunacy

No, but that's beside the point.
It’s exactly the point. This talk about matching and forcing a trade is only relevant if we are prepared to take on the equivalent contract.

Maybe St Kilda know the 5 years will scare us off because the talk for the last year is he wanted a long term deal we wouldn’t provide and they pick him up as a free agent.

The assumption that pick 2 is just a lock now is not taking this into account.

Would hope that the trades proposed to you lot are (after paying Crouch enough for band 1 comp):

Dunstan for Pick 20
Or
Daniel McKenzie for your 3rd Round Pick

Dunstan is not a salary dump, he is an AFL quality player (obviously with limitations), McKenzie would be a pure salary cap dump.

I know Dunstan isn't an exciting prospect but he is a mature body that would help protect your youngsters and he gives it his all. He offers great leadership also. One of those players that even though we don't have room for him anymore, you're still worried he might end up making you regret letting him go.

McKenzie is a pure salary dump, would get you guys the pick you need and even with list spaces reducing, you can afford to give up a list spot to turn pick 20 into pick 2.

To be entirely honest, my preference would probably be to offer up Dunstan and McKenzie for Pick 29. Give you a bulk buy discount, buy one GOP, get a dud free special.

The worst thing Adelaide could do from this position is to sit on their hands and accept a band 2 compo pick just to save a list space.... Or worse still, match a bid and get stuck with a player who doesn't want to be there.

It’s exactly the point. This talk about matching and forcing a trade is only relevant if we are prepared to take on the equivalent contract.

Maybe St Kilda know the 5 years will scare us off because the talk for the last year is he wanted a long term deal we wouldn’t provide and they pick him up as a free agent.

The assumption that pick 2 is just a lock now is not taking this into account.

Just a point on "forcing a trade", the best hand we would have to offer would be our 1st and Dunstan. Personally, I don't think we would offer that for Crouch, but this is obviously hypothetical.

It would be a pretty risky move trying to force a trade to improve pick 20 to pick 15.

Probably already been discussed and don't want to be the opposition support know-it-all. Not arguing what is or isn't "fair" but we honestly don't have a lot of trade bait at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back