News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Adelaide Football Club always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Those that have seen me excited about Pick 2 for a while, well be shocked. Ive turned.

This is what is in store for the AFC. Clench those butt cheeks, ladies and gentlemen.

giphy.gif

Nah, sorry, that's just not gonna happen.

No way the AFL would do us the courtesy of using lube.

This is cut throat - like the difference between a win and a loss.

A win is pick 2 or Crouch staying. A loss is everything else.

Given the Crows seemed to hold the upper hand all along (I.e. they knew Crouch would stay if offered a reasonable contract) - I can’t see they’ll lose with this.

Crows must get pick 2 out of this and it will be a very good win!

Puts us even further in the box seat to trade for Bulldogs first round pick too.

Yeah there is.

The contracts we give to those players have to be legit. If we are over paying spuds to boost a contract offer to Crouch and improve our compo they would be all over it. They aren't stupid when they want to be.
Clubs overpay spuds all the time

Man, the posts in this thread are off the chart. Fair bit of emotion in here and we are only 53 pages in. Surely we can hit 300 by trade week.

He's gone and we will get unders. It's just how we roll. Think Tippet, Danger, McGovern, Lever, Gibbs etc
Unders for McGovern and Lever?

Clubs overpay spuds all the time

Mitch McGovern likes this.

Yes, yes he should.

Also I recall the opposite with Tex, didn't he renegotiate his contract to make it back loaded last time we were under salary cap pressure in an attempt to give the Crows more money to to try and stop players walking out?

I don't know if it's back-loaded in the sense that he's on more money in the latter years than the earlier ones. He signed an extension in 2017 to extend his contract to 2021 (the old one was due to end at the end of 2018). Part of that deal was to move some money from 2018 into the new contract to free up some space then. I'm not sure if that new contract was back-loaded it or just smoothed that money out evenly across the entire contract, though. For all I know, he could be on less money next year.

Yes, yes he should.

Also I recall the opposite with Tex, didn't he renegotiate his contract to make it back loaded last time we were under salary cap pressure in an attempt to give the Crows more money to to try and stop players walking out?
He took a pay cut to keep guys like Gov and Lever.... and they walked anyway

What a terrible outcome for the saints.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense for them to give anything up in trade if they can pay some extra dollars and get him as a free agent. Unless they're under salary cap pressure, but I can't see ANY club's salary cap being so tight that they can't find an extra $50-100k a year if it means holding onto a couple of first round picks and/or good players.

There are absolutely rules against it.

Each trade must be balanced when looked at in isolation.

So either we give what those players are perceived by the VFL as worth or they won't allow the trade.

So if we give up a second rounder just to take the St Kilda salary cap dump we're getting well and truly shafted.

Were the AFL going to allow pick 20 + Jesse White for Tippett? I was never clear on if they blocked that trade because it was obviously under value, or if they blocked it because of all the shenanigans that had gone on around his last contract with us.

There are absolutely rules against it.

Each trade must be balanced when looked at in isolation.

So either we give what those players are perceived by the VFL as worth or they won't allow the trade.

So if we give up a second rounder just to take the St Kilda salary cap dump we're getting well and truly shafted.
Surely we wouldn't agree to taking St Kilda's spuds without knowing we were definitely getting pick 2.

Not when they are trying to orchestrate compensation. A journo even mentioned it. The AFL aren't complete morons.
Its interesting, both Port and us have had to overpay to get players to come back here all the time, we could quite easily give Dunstan 50K a year more than hes worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were the AFL going to allow pick 20 + Jesse White for Tippett? I was never clear on if they blocked that trade because it was obviously under value, or if they blocked it because of all the shenanigans that had gone on around his last contract with us.

I believe they were going to reject it as 'not fair value'. I also think that us being willing to accept it was what caused them to start sniffing around because something didn't seem right.

Lacks cold hearted ruthlessness.

If we were ruthless we'd keep the decision about Brad between a few people only then let the situation play out as if we were absolutely happy to have Brad back. This gives us a better negotiating hand and forces St Kilda to come get Brad. When the offer is too good to refuse and the numbers stack up we reluctantly say to Brad we can't afford you and have to let you go. This is disingenuous towards Brad but in the wash up he never needs to know and we get the deal we are after.

Instead it's Sunday school.

We have failed on two fronts so far

1) We failed to make it clear Brad is a required player that we don't want to move on. Our messaging has been "oh.. look... we're willing to let Brad explore options and get the best deal for him and the club". NO. We should have been on the front foot saying he's a required player, our best midfielder and necessary for our rebuild

2) When it was announced he was leaving, we should have immediately been saying "Brad is worth more than Pick 20. The AFL should be giving us Pick 2, or we'll ask for two first round picks in a trade". We should have followed it up by saying we categorically know his contract demands are large enough for pick 2 (even if they aren't). GWS did something similar straight after Cameron announced he's out. We have been silent

I mean there’s no rule against it

I do believe though that, once it happens, the AFL will implement a rule that prevents it from happening again

There was no rule against Sydney taking Lance Franklin as a free agent, but the AFL still slapped a trade ban on them anyway. The AFL just make this stuff up as they go.

1) We failed to make it clear Brad is a required player that we don't want to move on. Our messaging has been "oh.. look... we're willing to let Brad explore options and get the best deal for him and the club". NO. We should have been on the front foot saying he's a required player, our best midfielder and necessary for our rebuild

2) When it was announced he was leaving, we should have immediately been saying "Brad is worth more than Pick 20. The AFL should be giving us Pick 2, or we'll ask for two first round picks in a trade". We should have followed it up by saying we categorically know his contract demands are large enough for pick 2 (even if they aren't). GWS did something similar straight after Cameron announced he's out. We have been silent

Add it to the list of * ups from Reid.

We've said we want to make sure we do whats best for our footy club

So is the rumour that we’re taking both Dunstan AND Webster?

I mean, if we’re getting pick 2 I’ll take it, but we better clear out the list (including delisting Mackay)...

Is this the old, here accept this crappy pick plus some spuds for your gun player?

Pick 14 or 20 + Dunstan and/or Webster is a horrible deal

There was no rule against Sydney taking Lance Franklin as a free agent, but the AFL still slapped a trade ban on them anyway. The AFL just make this stuff up as they go.

I suspect there was some BS going on behind closed doors there. Something like this:

AFL: "Look we're getting a lot of flak over this COLA stuff guys, you have to chill out and stop abusing it or you're going to put us in an awkward postion"

Sydney: "Ok, ok. don't take it away, we'll be good. Pinky swear."

Also Sydney: "Hey Franklin, think about how much cocaine and hookers you could buy with all this COLA!"

AFL: "* you guys.. you broke your pinkie promise!"

Is this the old, here accept this crappy pick plus some spuds for your gun player?

Pick 14 or 20 + Dunstan and/or Webster is a horrible deal
You call him a gun yet wouldve been happy to take 11 from the Cats.... which is it ??

With Tippett, I think it was a combination of the whispers and the poor value we were about to accept. That said, I reckon it would have gone through without the whispers. Sydney has just won a flag and didn't want to force out any of the players or best 22 that missed through injury. They offered their best pick and I'm pretty sure there was no future pick trading back then. It's not like we didn't try for more, surely the AFL don't force a player into the PSD just because one party refuses to offer up a decent deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back